Sox Trade Nate Jones/INTL Slot to TEX for 2 Minor Leaguers

Sleepy Harold

12 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

I don't know why, but I laughed out loud at this... both in sadness because its so true and because your comment was funny.

Shhhhhhhh. 

Don't tell, KyYl E. Coyote...

Signed, the Roadrunner

P.S.   Notice the list below, YOU WILL FIND ALL FOUR SMALLER BUDGET AL CENTRAL TEAMS LISTED...NO WHITE SOX (darned that Dave Wilder and his CLUB BURN in Phoenix, that's where the Sox money ended up)...to quote Thad Bosley, that's what has happened to White Sox fans for 38 years since JR and EE purchased the team.

"The Dominican Summer League is vital to the development of our Latin players, especially the kids we're signing at 16, 17 years old," said Louis Eljaua, special assistant to the president and general manager of the Cubs. "It's their first taste of pro ball. We try to accomplish a lot of things here at the academy, not just in the Dominican Summer League Season, but throughout the year. But this is probably the most important part of our year down here with the players, the academy, because it's an actual professional season."
Every club has at least one team in the 72-game regular season Dominican Summer League that starts in June and ends in late August. There are also playoffs.

The Cubs, Cardinals, Dodgers, Indians, Brewers, Phillies, Rangers, Rays, Red Sox, Royals and Tigers have so many players that they have two teams in the DSL.

Most players in the DSL are 17 to 22 years old. The best prospects graduate to the Arizona Rookie League or the Gulf Coast League in Florida then Spring Training, Extended Spring Training and lower level Minor League teams.

"The Summer League is about the games, for me, and I think a lot of organizations feel the same way," said Dave Keller, the Cubs field coordinator in the Dominican Republic. "It's not about the volume of work before the games. We want to see what these guys can do in the games because most of them don't train for the games, they train for the tryout to get signed. We want to see how they act and react to situations, what their instincts are like. That's where the teaching comes in."

Edited by caulfield12

43 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Shhhhhhhh. 

Don't tell, KyYl E. Coyote...

Signed, the Roadrunner

P.S.   Notice the list below, YOU WILL FIND ALL FOUR SMALLER BUDGET AL CENTRAL TEAMS LISTED...NO WHITE SOX (darned that Dave Wilder and his CLUB BURN in Phoenix, that's where the Sox money ended up)...to quote Thad Bosley, that's what has happened to White Sox fans for 38 years since JR and EE purchased the team.

"The Dominican Summer League is vital to the development of our Latin players, especially the kids we're signing at 16, 17 years old," said Louis Eljaua, special assistant to the president and general manager of the Cubs. "It's their first taste of pro ball. We try to accomplish a lot of things here at the academy, not just in the Dominican Summer League Season, but throughout the year. But this is probably the most important part of our year down here with the players, the academy, because it's an actual professional season."
Every club has at least one team in the 72-game regular season Dominican Summer League that starts in June and ends in late August. There are also playoffs.

The Cubs, Cardinals, Dodgers, Indians, Brewers, Phillies, Rangers, Rays, Red Sox, Royals and Tigers have so many players that they have two teams in the DSL.

Most players in the DSL are 17 to 22 years old. The best prospects graduate to the Arizona Rookie League or the Gulf Coast League in Florida then Spring Training, Extended Spring Training and lower level Minor League teams.

"The Summer League is about the games, for me, and I think a lot of organizations feel the same way," said Dave Keller, the Cubs field coordinator in the Dominican Republic. "It's not about the volume of work before the games. We want to see what these guys can do in the games because most of them don't train for the games, they train for the tryout to get signed. We want to see how they act and react to situations, what their instincts are like. That's where the teaching comes in."

Good post Caulfield. Very informative on how the smart teams use the extra team for development.

35 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

One thing no one ever mentions about Wilder is in the middle of when he was ripping them off, he was given a promotion. He could not have made them look like bigger idiots.

He had that promotion for 1 year and 3 months before anyone caught on.

Ironically, of the 23 players/parents/2 buscones involved or implicated, pretty sure Andre Rienzo was the only one that ever made it to the major leagues.  I remember Anderson Gomes and Luis Silverio.

The total amount skimmed, $440,781.00.

Enough to screw up our Dominican operations for a decade...not that it was so productive compared to other organizations at the time.

39 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He had that promotion for 1 year and 3 months before anyone caught on.

Ironically, of the 23 players/parents/2 buscones involved or implicated, pretty sure Andre Rienzo was the only one that ever made it to the major leagues.  I remember Anderson Gomes and Luis Silverio.

The total amount skimmed, $440,781.00.

Enough to screw up our Dominican operations for a decade...not that it was so productive compared to other organizations at the time.

Didn’t he sign Paulo Orlando?

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Didn’t he sign Paulo Orlando?

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=128329

What are the odds, another Orlando signed him...Orlando Santana.  Wonder if he’s related to Rafael?  Looks like he is Cuban...

Orlando Santana later moved to Brazil, where he was very active on the baseball scene. He helped entice Anderson Gomes to play baseball for a youth team he was running, he managed the Brazilian national team in the 2008 Americas Baseball Cup and he scouted Brazil for the Chicago White Sox, signing Paulo Orlandoand Andre Rienzo, two of the earliest Brazilians to reach AAA.

Former scouts Jorge L. Oquendo Rivera and Victor Mateo also face mail fraud charges...so this guy wasn’t charged.

4 hours ago, wegner said:

I'm having a hard time knowing that I will never again say "oh no" when Jones is coming in from the bullpen 

Thank goodness he is gone. Another one out of here. Hopefully we'll keep dumping bad players.