Sox Trade Nate Jones/INTL Slot to TEX for 2 Minor Leaguers

Sleepy Harold

oh weird look what intl bonus gets you.

Ah well, we do the quantity over quality model, even though we never sign the biggest classes. Just like we do best player available, except actually we needed to add depth so drafted all college players.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The team is in a rebuild and was in a penalty box for 2 years. One of the rewards for losing is more international money to spend, plus they should have been working on this for a couple  of years. It's dissappointing they actually had $1 million they didn't spend.

I dont disagree that it is disappointing, but once you know you're not going to spend it, you may as well use it as currency.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, took about 3 minutes for the cheap narrative to come out in full force.  

It’s either cheap (saving a couple $M) or incompetent (not using all your J2 money and trading it for scraps AND sending cash in addition to TX) or both.  I don’t know how this move can be framed as a win for the Sox.

1 minute ago, RTC said:

It’s either cheap (saving a couple $M) or incompetent (not using all your J2 money and trading it for scraps AND sending cash in addition to TX) or both.  I don’t know how this move can be framed as a win for the Sox.

Nate Jones was going to be bought out in 3 months.  They got 2 scratch off tickets and saved the rest of Nate's 2019 salary and his buy-out.  Had they not traded him, they get nothing AND the international money still goes to waste.

I understand the frustration in not spending the international $, but we already knew that.  This is not new news.  There is no one left to spend it on at this point.  

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I dont disagree that it is disappointing, but once you know you're not going to spend it, you may as well use it as currency.

Someone could always pop up before next July. Maybe not a great prospect but someone you could at least spend the money on.

Edited by soxfan2014

43 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I thought the Sox received some international bonus money at first, don’t likesending over a million in bonus money just to save some money.

This is why the Sox wont get another minor league team . They always give away intl. slot money rather than use it to acquire players.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nate Jones was going to be bought out in 3 months.  They got 2 scratch off tickets and saved the rest of Nate's 2019 salary and his buy-out.  Had they not traded him, they get nothing AND the international money still goes to waste.

I understand the frustration in not spending the international $, but we already knew that.  This is not new news.  There is no one left to spend it on at this point.  

Why does it go to waste? They can still use it. They signed some of their most promising players after July 2 years ago, and things like Cuban players come available mid period (like just happened).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I completely agree with you while also agreeing with Dick Allen.  We should have been in on more players and should have known we were going to have a good budget.  There was a recent Athletic article on this kids getting scouted and agreeing to deals at 14-15 years old.  I don't know how you recommend spending millions based on an evaluation of a 14-16 year old and there are a lot of under the table dealings.  I get that it is the market and therefore we should be in it but it seems crazy.  With deals being done so early, I wonder if the market inefficiency lies with the "late blooming" 18 year olds that you could scoop up a bunch cheaply thus spending all or nearly all of your pool.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Why does it go to waste? They can still use it. They signed some of their most promising players after July 2 years ago, and things like Cuban players come available mid period (like just happened).

Anyone know what we have left in the international pool for late signees?

What a joke.   Sometime in the next 8 months this franchise is going to have to APPEAR to not be run like a bodega with empty shelves and a back entrance for the crew's money guy to take a clean suitcase of bills every Friday evening.

You want fans to think of it as a real club and not just a front to make money for JR?  Then stock some fucking shelves.

21 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Of course, he will inevitably go on to become the next Trout/Tatis...at least with Bush last year, there was a narrative that we'd produced this gem out of nowhere that would show how brilliant the scouting department was at their jobs.

Just surprised Bell or Jordan isn't part of his name.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Of course, he will inevitably go on to become the next Trout/Tatis...at least with Bush last year, there was a narrative that we'd produced this gem out of nowhere that would show how brilliant the scouting department was at their jobs.

Lol. The Rangers probably agreed to terms with this Lora cat years ago.  His signing has absolutely no bearing on the White Sox what so ever.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I mean, we couldn't do this because for some reason we are not in or cannot get in on the top intl pipeline talent, not since adolfo 6 years ago. And again, they say this is because they prefer quantity, but they never sign large classes, 2016 was the biggest with 20 guys.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Just surprised Bell or Jordan isn't part of his name.

The amateur scouting dept and the international signings are two different things. I can‘t follow you here....

• Love 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Lol. The Rangers probably agreed to terms with this Lora cat years ago.  His signing has absolutely no bearing on the White Sox what so ever.  

Sure it does, one more potential multiple tool player we don't have for our outfield...

Why does it seem the SAME organizations year after year (Dodgers, Braves, Padres, Rangers, etc.) always have the connections to these players that we don't despite Paddy, who we keep hearing is the best in the business...?

1 minute ago, fathom said:

He was in the stands last week during a Q&A for Sox campers with his family. He seemed real happy.

Always seemed to be a decent guy.  Unfortunately, also an injury waiting to happen.  Best of luck to him!!

1 hour ago, TheTruth05 said:

Damn surprised they were able to get SOMETHING for him. Nice, a couple lotto tix

For an ownership who doesn't give a damn about being a major market force, nothing they do surprises me.

Just like 2005,  their next championship if it comes during this regime will be coincidental to their financial bottom line.

So it will the Whiz Kids 2.0.

Hungry, talented and price-controlled.

Edited by GradMc

2 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

The amateur scouting dept and the international signings are two different things. I can‘t follow you here....

Okay, here's a question.  What have we received in terms of all that supposed investment into the Domican Republic?

How the heck can Jesus Pena be the last player to come out of there....is the Ghost/Shadow of Dave Wilder THAT long?

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Sure it does, one more potential multiple tool player we don't have for our outfield...

Why does it seem the SAME organizations year after year (Dodgers, Braves, Padres, Rangers, etc.) always have the connections to these players that we don't despite Paddy, who we keep hearing is the best in the business...?

HAHAHAHA.  The Sox weren't in on him dude.  They didn't trade this guy to the Rangers.  The Rangers agreed to sign him whenever they did, they just needed additional INTL funds before the deal was official.   

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Okay, here's a question?  What have we received in terms of all that supposed investment into the Domican Republic?

How the heck can Jesus Pena be the last player to come out of there....is the Ghost/Shadow of Dave Wilder THAT long?

Eduardo Escobar, Yolmer Sanchez and Tatis were the last MLB players signed out of LatAm. The fact that two of them were traded doesn‘t change that.

I already said that their international signings suck, what are you even arguing here?

Edited by GermanSoxFan

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

HAHAHAHA.  The Sox weren't in on him dude.  They didn't trade this guy to the Rangers.  The Rangers agreed to sign him whenever they did, they just needed additional INTL funds before the deal was official.   

DUH!!!

That's all we do, HELP other teams.   By taking on Alonso's salary, we've now opened a spot for Franmil Reyes to beat up on us for the next five years.  By providing them the money (the Rangers), they get to sign their targeted players and we spent it writing insurance checks for Burger and all of our pitching prospects.

WHEN DO WE ACQUIRE INTL BONUS POOL MONEY so we can actually sign someone?

It's like...yay! we signed Robert, it looks like he's the coup of the decade, so we can go back to business as usual.