Sox Trade Nate Jones/INTL Slot to TEX for 2 Minor Leaguers

Sleepy Harold

This is a real headscratcher to me. Unless there's something we don't know about these prospects, it seems like we just gave up a big chunk of a very finite resource (int'l pool $$) to save a little money on Nate Jones

• Like 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

DUH!!!

That's all we do, HELP other teams.   By taking on Alonso's salary, we've now opened a spot for Franmil Reyes to beat up on us for the next five years.  By providing them the money (the Rangers), they get to sign their targeted players and we spent it writing insurance checks for Burger and all of our pitching prospects.

WHEN DO WE ACQUIRE INTL BONUS POOL MONEY so we can actually sign someone?

It's like...yay! we signed Robert, it looks like he's the coup of the decade, so we can go back to business as usual.

Yawn. 

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Eduardo Escobar, Yolmer Sanchez and Tatis were the last MLB players signed out of LatAm. The fact that two of them were traded doesn‘t change that.

I already said that their international signings suck, what are you even arguing here?

Yes, from Venezuela...not the Dominican.   I just don't understand why we can't find our OWN players from the Dominican Republic, it's not like every single kid under age 16 doesn't want to play professional baseball...

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

DUH!!!

That's all we do, HELP other teams.   By taking on Alonso's salary, we've now opened a spot for Franmil Reyes to beat up on us for the next five years.  By providing them the money (the Rangers), they get to sign their targeted players and we spent it writing insurance checks for Burger and all of our pitching prospects.

WHEN DO WE ACQUIRE INTL BONUS POOL MONEY so we can actually sign someone?

It's like...yay! we signed Robert, it looks like he's the coup of the decade, so we can go back to business as usual.

Well, the rules have changed since we signed Robert, we were in the penalty box the first 2 years and we traded off our slot money those years because we couldn't spend over $250k (I think the amount is right, can't remember) on one player so it always made sense.

Edited by soxfan2014

Yes, from Venezuela...not the Dominican.   I just don't understand why we can't find our OWN players from the Dominican Republic, it's not like every single kid under age 16 doesn't want to play professional baseball...

Tatis is from the Dominican Republic, though.

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

This is a real headscratcher to me. Unless there's something we don't know about these prospects, it seems like we just gave up a big chunk of a very finite resource (int'l pool $$) to save a little money on Nate Jones

The 19-year old is having a great year (granted, he's in like, rookie ball).

And if nobody acquired Alonso (the White Sox were probably the only ones interested after his second half)...they would have released Alonso to make way for Reyes?

They probably would have reduced his playing time if he was hitting as poorly. You are trying to create some kind of link that just isn‘t there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jake said:

It's not a Headscratcher, they're White Soxing.

4 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Why couldn't we have spent that Intl $$??? 

Because that's the White Sox way.

The bottom line is that rebuilding teams should be taking advantage of EVERY opportunity that presents itself.

We shouldn't be more concerned with saving money or helping out other GM's.

It's that same mentality that led to us being satisfied with signing Luis Robert and not going on to spend another $25-30 million to have a superclass.

Instead we spend that exact same amount on Nova, Herrera, Jay, Santana and Alonso.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol. The Rangers probably agreed to terms with this Lora cat years ago.  His signing has absolutely no bearing on the White Sox what so ever.  

Apparently they didn't have enough money to sign him. Wouldn't it be nice if the White Sox took on a Nate Jones contract and picked up some international funds for doing so to get a #3 prospect? 

CLEVELAND signed 23 players on J2, including #16 overall. The White Sox signed 6, now shipped out the remaining, and their prized signing is being out hit by a player 5 years younger and his same last name on the DSL.

edit: sorry, initially said DET

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jake said:

As Pax has said with another franchise with very similar ownership, cash considerations gains you capital with the higher ups. 

If they weren't going to spend it, they did the right thing. My problem is why didn't they put themselves in a position to spend it?

9 minutes ago, Jake said:

This is the correct take. This trade is absolutely disgusting. It's a very poor use of resources. The Rangers are paying Nate Jones so that they can spend $1 million of their own money on international amateurs. The White Sox are prioritizing saving $$ on Nate Jones. They could just eat Jones's contract and spend $1 million on 16-year-old prospects. Instead, they chose to do this because it's an organization still run like a mom and pop shop. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

CLEVELAND signed 23 players on J2, including #16 overall. The White Sox signed 6, now shipped out the remaining, and their prized signing is being out hit by a player 5 years younger and his same last name on the DSL.

edit: sorry, initially said DET

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Apparently they didn't have enough money to sign him. Wouldn't it be nice if the White Sox took on a Nate Jones contract and picked up some international funds for doing so to get a #3 prospect? 

Yah, it would.  I agree that is disappointing, and said as much.  

For my sanity’s sake I’m going to assume that Texas approached Hahn about this trade. Because theres no way our front office is really focused on trying to save a few million bucks. Right?

I mean is there 0% chance Nate can’t be a serviceable middle reliever next year? I guess the team doctors would know better than anyone, but this seems like a  really odd salary dump of like $3M bucks. 

Just now, TheFutureIsNear said:

For my sanity’s sake I’m going to assume that Texas approached Hahn about this trade. Because theres no way our front office is really focused on trying to save a few million bucks. Right?

I mean is there 0% chance Nate can’t be a serviceable middle reliever next year? I guess the team doctors would know better than anyone, but this seems like a  really odd salary dump of like $3M bucks. 

I would not have picked up that option on him, no.

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I'd say you are right TX approached the Sox. They know the Sox always give away itnl. pool money in minor deals and like cash.