Sox Trade Nate Jones/INTL Slot to TEX for 2 Minor Leaguers

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

For a team that seems to have a real hard time with people thinking they are cheap, they sure do some curious things.

They just don't believe that anyone out there has the right to criticize them, and calling them cheap is criticizing them so no one has the right to say that.

58 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Obviously the Rangers plan to spend it on something. That's the dissappointment. I get they save $3 million, and they weren't spending any more, but the question I have is when you have a head start with this class, and have one of the biggest pools to use, why are you short?

That's the way they've been for years.  I'd add that their best home grown prospect in years, ahem, was an international signee.

But they seem to like to abandon what works and repeat what fails.

53 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I dont disagree that it is disappointing, but once you know you're not going to spend it, you may as well use it as currency.

49 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nate Jones was going to be bought out in 3 months.  They got 2 scratch off tickets and saved the rest of Nate's 2019 salary and his buy-out.  Had they not traded him, they get nothing AND the international money still goes to waste.

I understand the frustration in not spending the international $, but we already knew that.  This is not new news.  There is no one left to spend it on at this point.  

Why do people act like the international signing period is one day? Its a period. It is open until next June 15th. That is a hell of a lot of time for people to pop up.

44 minutes ago, bmags said:

Why does it go to waste? They can still use it. They signed some of their most promising players after July 2 years ago, and things like Cuban players come available mid period (like just happened).

Exactly! Five more were just yesterday reported to have defected. And then there are also the young asian prospects that some teams have started targeting.

I'd like to know how we ended up underspending our international pool — I didn't realize we were trading current-year money. So in this case, it may not be this trade that is a huge fuckup but something else that happened before

52 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nate Jones was going to be bought out in 3 months.  They got 2 scratch off tickets and saved the rest of Nate's 2019 salary and his buy-out.  Had they not traded him, they get nothing AND the international money still goes to waste.

I understand the frustration in not spending the international $, but we already knew that.  This is not new news.  There is no one left to spend it on at this point.  

But couldn’t there be some Cuban guys that eventually come over?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I guess I struggle to understand the logic of this move unless we really like this 19 year old kid.  Does anyone know what he signed for in 2017?  He must have been an overload guy.

Couldn’t find much on him except he had an ERA over 3 pitching in high school.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I guess I struggle to understand the logic of this move unless we really like this 19 year old kid.  Does anyone know what he signed for in 2017?  He must have been an overload guy.

My guess is the Sox had no intention of spending the remainder of the 2019 international money (for whatever reason, and if there is something to criticize here, it would be that), so they shipped off Jones to save the pro rated amount of his 2019 salary ($1.75M or so) and his $1.25M buyout for 2020 since they did in fact plan to buy him out.  May as well get something for what is going to be nothing.  

But yah, I guess I get those that are mad about not spending the international money we were allotted, but I think that was pretty clear when July 2 came and went.  I know there are so guys who could still pop up, so I guess I get the frustration in that respect.  Just don't think its a big deal.  

1 minute ago, Jake said:

I'd like to know how we ended up underspending our international pool — I didn't realize we were trading current-year money. So in this case, it may not be this trade that is a huge fuckup but something else that happened before

Sadly the simplest answer is that the org doesn't think it's important or is to cheap to invest in the area.  Either way it's incredibly disheartening as a fan.  There's no good explanation as to why they a) didn't spend the money and b) traded it away to clear ash tray money from the payroll.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

My guess is the Sox had no intention of spending the remainder of the 2019 international money (for whatever reason, and if there is something to criticize here, it would be that), so they shipped off Jones to save the pro rated amount of his 2019 salary ($1.75M or so) and his $1.25M buyout for 2020 since they did in fact plan to buy him out.  May as well get something for what is going to be nothing.  

But yah, I guess I get those that are mad about not spending the international money we were allotted, but I think that was pretty clear when July 2 came and went.  I know there are so guys who could still pop up, so I guess I get the frustration in that respect.  Just don't think its a big deal.  

It is a big deal given all we know about JR and his orgs.  It's another troubling sign that winning, although a priority, is not the main focus.  Winning is nice, but profits are better.

Can't believe this topic has 5 pages.

Here's a scenario.... Paddy says "I can sign X amount of 16 year olds for the last million but I don't really like any of them."  They go to Hostetler and say "is there anyone you like from these 3 teams that want pool money" and he gives them a list of guys the organization like better.

I hope the team starts winning soon.  I can't take the constant agonizing from fans online about worthless minutiae especially when the fans aren't privy to the actual deliberations and thought process.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I would not have picked up that option on him, no.

I get it, but could that decision not have been made after another 3-4 months of recovery? We are a big market club with a laughably low payroll, to be making moves at the deadline to save a couple $mil is just odd. 

I at least hope either:

1) the doctors are already pretty sure Nate will never fully recover (as horrible as that is to type)

2) someone within the org knows something about 1 of these 2 prospects that no one else does.

im not saying I know the answers or that this is some horrible move...it’s really pretty insignificant. I’m just looking at big picture of what this franchises’ priorities are

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

Here's a scenario.... Paddy says "I can sign X amount of 16 year olds for the last million but I don't really like any of them."  They go to Hostetler and say "is there anyone you like from these 3 teams that want pool money" and he gives them a list of guys the organization like better.

I hope the team starts winning soon.  I can't take the constant agonizing from fans online about worthless minutiae especially when the fans aren't privy to the actual deliberations and thought process.  

Good post. 

Just now, Nardiwashere said:

Their track record in LatAm signings is so bad that I think it’s totally valid to be annoyed by it.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Very likely (like 99%) it’s not a big deal but if you miss out on a $100k signing like Acuna or $350k signing like Albies it’s a very big deal.

Just now, TheFutureIsNear said:

I get it, but could that decision not have been made after another 3-4 months of recovery? We are a big market club with a laughably low payroll, to be making moves at the deadline to save a couple $mil is just odd. 

I at least hope either:

1) the doctors are already pretty sure Nate will never fully recover (as horrible as that is to type)

2) someone within the org knows something about 1 of these 2 prospects that no one else does.

im not saying I know the answers or that this is some horrible move...it’s really pretty insignificant. I’m just looking at big picture of what this franchises’ priorities are

Well obviously the bolded is true and everyone is correct this totally illustrates that saving a couple million is more important to the franchise than their long-term baseball performance. But seriously, there is no reason at all to think that Nate Jones will pitch again, and if he ever does it starts on a minor league deal. The guy's body was able to withstand a couple years of throwing the way he did, and it just gave up. He's made decent money, I hope he saved some.

34 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And if nobody acquired Alonso (the White Sox were probably the only ones interested after his second half)...they would have released Alonso to make way for Reyes?

What in the fuck are you talking about?  Every time you get emotional and start posting you suddenly lose all logic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

If it came down to that, you hold the money and wait to see if someone defects or becomes available from overseas if your goal was actually a winning ballclub.

It also should not have come down to that, not this year, not when they had 2 full years to prepare. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

That's great except there's no evidence the Sox have any sort of plan here beyond saving money.  Most of these latin guys are so young that scouting is crapshoot.  As @bmags often says it's partly just a numbers game at that low of a level.  You want bodies.  Quality is fine but quantity also will pay off in the long run.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jake said:

Seems like a pretty important question to ask at SoxFest because at face value this entire signing class / approach stinks.

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I understand the first half of your post, but as for the second part it's not just that they didn't spend it, it's that they were sitting in the penalty box for 2 years with nothing to do internationally but scout THIS class and they couldn't find more kids that were at least worth taking a shot?!?  No one?  (Acuna and Albies mentioned above as examples of what a crapshoot can look like, however slim the odds)