Sox Trade Nate Jones/INTL Slot to TEX for 2 Minor Leaguers

Sleepy Harold

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

My guess is the Sox had no intention of spending the remainder of the 2019 international money (for whatever reason, and if there is something to criticize here, it would be that), so they shipped off Jones to save the pro rated amount of his 2019 salary ($1.75M or so) and his $1.25M buyout for 2020 since they did in fact plan to buy him out.  May as well get something for what is going to be nothing.  

But yah, I guess I get those that are mad about not spending the international money we were allotted, but I think that was pretty clear when July 2 came and went.  I know there are so guys who could still pop up, so I guess I get the frustration in that respect.  Just don't think its a big deal.  

I just think optically this sends a terrible message after Hahn screamed we had “unprecedented financial flexibility” & “economic might” all-season.  At least try to get the best young players possible instead of cash.

But to your point, the bigger question is how did we fail so badly with this signing class after two years in the penalty box.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Seems like a pretty important question to ask at SoxFest because at face value this entire signing class / approach stinks.

All that will happen is HAhn will turn the question into a defense of Paddy, as he has been asked many years in a row "are you finally going to spend in INTL this year?"

Thank God we got Robert, because that 2016 class was going to be under budget, and they had basically had no one lined up in 2017, and would have been one of the few teams that did not take advantage of the former CBA, despite Hahn upon assuming GM saying the farm needed to get better.

Jerry sees 16 year old kids as a crap shoot, because they are, despite analysis showing its one of the best investments you can make.

Despite their woeful FA record, signing quantities of 5-10 million free agents he does not see as a crapshoot, because he is Jerry Reinsdorf.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

All that will happen is HAhn will turn the question into a defense of Paddy, as he has been asked many years in a row "are you finally going to spend in INTL this year?"

Thank God we got Robert, because that 2016 class was going to be under budget, and they had basically had no one lined up in 2017, and would have been one of the few teams that did not take advantage of the former CBA, despite Hahn upon assuming GM saying the farm needed to get better.

Jerry sees 16 year old kids as a crap shoot, because they are, despite analysis showing its one of the best investments you can make.

Despite their woeful FA record, signing quantities of 5-10 million free agents he does not see as a crapshoot, because he is Jerry Reinsdorf.

You're spot on here and you know what?  I get the feeling that Hahn doesn't think it's his job to sell JR on these investments.  Again that's infuriating as a fan.

I asked but haven't seen a response:  How much international money do we have left?  Could/do we still have enough for late signings like I suggested.  I discount the 22year old but maybe we actually like the 19 year old and feel that his acquisition is worth the million we weren't spending.  I agree with all that we should be players in the international market.

Here is a question:  If we aren't going to spend/sign someone, is getting the 19 yo better than not having anything to show for that million?  If they get budget relief as well wonderful.  The budget relief is a tangible asset and remember this club is run on a budget so hopefully those savings go into infrastructure, analytics, players, food something other than ownership pockets.

Just now, BamaDoc said:

I asked but haven't seen a response:  How much international money do we have left?  Could/do we still have enough for late signings like I suggested.  I discount the 22year old but maybe we actually like the 19 year old and feel that his acquisition is worth the million we weren't spending.  I agree with all that we should be players in the international market.

Here is a question:  If we aren't going to spend/sign someone, is getting the 19 yo better than not having anything to show for that million?  If they get budget relief as well wonderful.  The budget relief is a tangible asset and remember this club is run on a budget so hopefully those savings go into infrastructure, analytics, players, food something other than ownership pockets.

It's hard to tell. 

2.5 mill for Yolbert

.5 for Tatis

1 mill traded

4 million known

$5.4 million is the cap

4 additional players were signed. Some were decent, so you assume some could be around 300k or more. Or they could have all been less and we still have 500k or more.

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You're spot on here and you know what?  I get the feeling that Hahn doesn't think it's his job to sell JR on these investments.  Again that's infuriating as a fan.

And what kills me is if the sox were a top ten team in international from 2007-2013, this decade is completely different. But they were a bottom 2 team. The international classes of the last 4 years could be the fuel that keeps the rebuilded team going with trades and more. Instead they are fine riding a razor thin margin.

49 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Can't believe this topic has 5 pages.

Here's a scenario.... Paddy says "I can sign X amount of 16 year olds for the last million but I don't really like any of them."  They go to Hostetler and say "is there anyone you like from these 3 teams that want pool money" and he gives them a list of guys the organization like better.

I hope the team starts winning soon.  I can't take the constant agonizing from fans online about worthless minutiae especially when the fans aren't privy to the actual deliberations and thought process.  

HA!  Now that’s a good one.  That certainly stopped me in my tracks to pause for a hearty chuckle!  

“The actual deliberations and thought process” of Jerry Reinsdorf, Kenny Williams, and Rick Hahn.  The braintrust whose “actual deliberations and thought process” for nearly 20 years running now has brought us all of just two trips to the postseason, and the fourth longest playoff drought in baseball, currently.  

Who would dare to question or be skeptical of their collective genius!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

HA!  Now that’s a good one.  That certainly stopped me in my tracks to pause for a hearty chuckle!  

“The actual deliberations and thought process” of Jerry Reinsdorf, Kenny Williams, and Rick Hahn.  The braintrust whose “actual deliberations and thought process” for nearly 20 years running now has brought us all of just two trips to the postseason, and the fourth longest playoff drought in baseball, currently.  

Surely you're better suited to run a major league baseball organization!  Apply for the job! 

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Why Burr as the comp?

Mostly cause Jarneski was acquired for INTL signing money too, similar to Burr. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Probably because we used international money to acquire Burr. 

This.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Probably because we used international money to acquire Burr. 

Yeah there's no real comparison otherwise. Burr had success in A+ at the time of acquisition and was a pretty well-known college prospect at ASU. This kid is relative unknown with very little playing experience. 

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Surely you're better suited to run a major league baseball organization!  Apply for the job! 

I’m good at my current job as a fan who assesses the results on the field. 

Edited by Thad Bosley

6 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Ok... so I guess enjoy keeping the circle jerk going where you get outraged over things you have no actual knowledge of.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Yeah there's no real comparison otherwise. Burr had success in A+ at the time of acquisition and was a pretty well-known college prospect at ASU. This kid is relative unknown with very little playing experience. 

Wasn't comparing them as prospects, only how they were acquired and the success Burr had making it all the way hence the "useful arm" part.

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

Ok... so I guess enjoy keeping the circle jerk going where you get outraged over things you have no actual knowledge of.

I don’t think I’ve expressed outrage over anything here.  I was just merely amused at your reference to the thought process of the Sox braintrust as something special.  The fans are well-accustomed now to the typical results of their thought processes, the majority of which, I’m sure you’d agree, are not much to write home about.  

10 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Can I get a summary of the professional assessment of this trade... so I then may fall in line with that group think and not be labeled a meathead elsewhere on SoxTalk?

This write-up from Ben Badler is hilarious for TWO REASONS....

The Rangers traded for $1 million of international bonus pool money today to be able to finalize their signing of Bayron Lora, a 16-year-old outfielder with huge power from the Dominican Republic. Lora has been playing for the Rangers' team in the Tricky League, an informal league in the Dominican Republic for recent July 2 signings, with clubs supplementing their rosters with unsigned amateur players as well. He homered yesterday, his third home run of the Tricky League, which opened two weeks ago. Lora will add to an international signing class that also includes shortstops Maximo Acosta from Venezuela and Zion Bannister from the Bahamas.

WHITE SOX ACQUIRE

Joe Jarneski, RHP

Ray Castro, RHP

Jarneski and Castro aren't prospects, so it looks like the White Sox are just moving Jones' contract to save money.

My comment:  I think this is the first time I've ever seen BA do a trade write-up without any information...and "where's OUR TRICKY League team, Hahn?"

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1