Astros get Greinke

Sleepy Harold

What's the exact amount of money that's going to the Astros?

Bukauskas was fading and leaving most Top 100 lists, but Beer has done nothing to diminish his draft day value and has undoubtedly increased it...

So the Astros are paying $52 million and AZ $24 million on the remaining amount...#3/4/5/22 ranked prospects in the Astros' organization.

Interestingly, the DBacks have added Gallen (Marlins, for one of their top prospects in Chisholm) and Mike Leake to their rotation, although fans will surely be pissed.

Crazy times.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2019/07/31/arizona-diamondbacks-trade-zack-greinke-houston-astros/1881640001/

Edited by caulfield12

49 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Wow that's a lot. (based on prices from today) 

Beer and Bukauskas are good prospects. Not sure I understand an NL team acquiring Beer though. He should get flipped this offseason to an AL team. 

Seems like one of the few teams who really value winning another World Series.  I'm talking to you Yankees and Dodgers And what did the Red Sox do ? Phillies ? Twins at least did something . Braves did good.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

8 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I'll gladly take that bet.

Greinke is probably the smartest player in the MLB (smart's in this sense).

He started the deep dive into analytics before the Astros front office existed. He has very specific information he wanted to evolve his game and hes aged gracefully despite velocity declines because of that.

If you search you can find extensive articles and interviews from Greinke about how he bought into analytics and implanted them into his arsenal. The astros are sharp, but Verlander had declined as had cole - they both needed guidance. Greinke has stayed consistent despite his stuff diminishing and its because of his analytic process. 

I'll add that when I say he's smarter than their front office I mean in regards to knowing his game and understanding how to maximize his outcomes.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

One of my favorite baseball quotes ever about analytics and baseball and how it should be managed came from Greinke:

“Baseball is a sport where being stupid and keeping things really simple a lot of times is the right way to do things,” he said. “There are very few guys that are capable of processing a lot of information and applying it and still being good at it. … I don’t want to name names, but there were guys I played with that were so stupid that they’re really good, because their mind never gets in the way.”

The whole piece is a great read:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-greinke-20140905-story.html

The Astros aren't teaching Greinke anything he doesn't already know.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

48 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

So you would have been fine giving up Vaughn Cease and Madrigal?

Haha, if the Sox had just won a WS, and were currently loaded with talented players on the infield, outfield and the mound, yeah, trading highly rated prospects, while keeping your top 2 rated prospects, would be ok with me.

That is in no way saying that the Sox should have tried to beat the Astros offer.

Pitcher contracts for these established veterans are so tradeable. Even when they appeared fading, like Verlander, they got a decent set of pieces back. When they are great, like Greinke, they can still get a nice return.

they got four years of good Greinke then traded the rest for prospects at a reasonable cost. 

Sox shouldn’t be so timid on pitching contracts.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Dodgers front office was taken aback by how intelligent Greinke was in their interview if that opens peoples eyes. The guy literally sat in on Dodger drafts and gave his thoughts and opinions. That's how highly he's regarded. 

He can be intelligent but may not have the measurements and tools the astros have in PD.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Pitcher contracts for these established veterans are so tradeable. Even when they appeared fading, like Verlander, they got a decent set of pieces back. When they are great, like Greinke, they can still get a nice return.

they got four years of good Greinke then traded the rest for prospects at a reasonable cost. 

Sox shouldn’t be so timid on pitching contracts.

A-freakin-men