Sox make no deadline moves

Sockin

4 minutes ago, Dickie Kerr said:

What a shock.

No creativity whatsoever from the Walmart of baseball management regimes.

Wish the Robertson news would have broken a lot sooner. A smart GM with financial flexibility and an owner ok spending money (think Friedman a couple years ago with the Dodgers) would have taken on Robertson's full contract, eaten some of Colome's salary for this year, and gotten a good package out of it.

I like the Nate Jones  trade.  He should have been gone long ago.

So far as no other trades being made:  I have no problem with that.  Most people on here were saying the Sox should trade Colome, Bummer, Garcia, etc. ONLY IF they got an excellent return.  Apparently, they weren't offered anything to Hahn's liking.  I applaud him for not settling for crap like it appears many teams did in today's trades.

Sometimes the best moves are the  ones  you DON'T make.

• Like 2

I’ve been listening to MLB Radio all day and I’ve been in and out on 670 and ESPN Radio 1000. Out of the hours and hours I’ve been listening, I haven’t heard the White Sox mentioned at all. The irrelevancy is what kills me as a fan. No one cares. No one talks about us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Gohara DFAd by Braves. Guessing he cannot be traded now that the deadline has passed. I highly doubt he would get to the Sox on waivers, but they should be interested. 

I'd be super intrigued. I'd give something up for him actually. Not something of value, but a little something something. 

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Gohara DFAd by Braves. Guessing he cannot be traded now that the deadline has passed. I highly doubt he would get to the Sox on waivers, but they should be interested. 

What are we.. 8th on the waiver claim?

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

I’ve been listening to MLB Radio all day and I’ve been in and out on 670 and ESPN Radio 1000. Out of the hours and hours I’ve been listening, I haven’t heard the White Sox mentioned at all. The irrelevancy is what kills me as a fan. No one cares. No one talks about us.

It is not just today, it is like this everyday, it use  to really bother me but if the Sox don't care, why should I.

I said more than a month ago that what the FO did today would show us their intentions for 2020.  The only reason to keep Colome, Bummer & Abreu is if we are contending next year.  RH now has this off season to show my faith in him is warranted.

6 hours ago, poppysox said:

I said more than a month ago that what the FO did today would show us their intentions for 2020.  The only reason to keep Colome, Bummer & Abreu is if we are contending next year.  RH now has this off season to show my faith in him is warranted.

Just what I was thinking poppy. WIth Madrigal and Robert on the big league team next year, cmon, it's time to win the division. There are really no excuses. The only people who won't expect excellence are the ones that are OK with Eloy, Robert, Madrigal, Vaughn, Collins having growing pains and allowing them to suck a year or two before they get great. Cmon. If they are division title caliber players they can show it next year. It's up to Hahn to get some pitching in the free agent market and I guess pray for health throughout the roster. I mean what holes do we have? C-Collins. 1B-Abreu. 2B-Madrigal. SS-Tim. 3B-Moncada. DH-Burger and Vaughn and Abreu can trade off. LF-Eloy. CF-Robert. RF-Rutherford. It's now or never baby.

Pitching-Do you work, Hahn. Assemble a staff. Colome and Bummer allegedly are 2/3s of the 7th, 8th and 9th.

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Just what I was thinking poppy. WIth Madrigal and Robert on the big league team next year, cmon, it's time to win the division. There are really no excuses. The only people who won't expect excellence are the ones that are OK with Eloy, Robert, Madrigal, Vaughn, Collins having growing pains and allowing them to suck a year or two before they get great. Cmon. If they are division title caliber players they can show it next year. It's up to Hahn to get some pitching in the free agent market and I guess pray for health throughout the roster. I mean what holes do we have? C-Collins. 1B-Abreu. 2B-Madrigal. SS-Tim. 3B-Moncada. DH-Burger and Vaughn and Abreu can trade off. LF-Eloy. CF-Robert. RF-Rutherford. It's now or never baby.

Pitching-Do you work, Hahn. Assemble a staff. Colome and Bummer allegedly are 2/3s of the 7th, 8th and 9th.

This is incredible optimism. Which - nothing wrong with it, I suppose. I just hope Hahn (or anyone else) isn’t relying on the same unjustified expectations.

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Well Collins isn’t that good, Rutherford is bad and... does Burger even play anymore? Last time I saw him he looked like he was 300lbs. 

I feel like we still have a long way to go and the White Sox need more talent before they’re ready to compete. I still don’t have faith in free agency.  

13 hours ago, poppysox said:

Maybe RH thinks he is contending this year.......................

It is really no surprise that the Sox made no moves.  That is the problem when you are tanking. You are not going to trade prospects and you have very little talent at the major league to dangle. Why should most teams want to deal with the White Sox?

As far as next offseason goes, I will merely wait and see what happens. I don't have any expectations that the team will be all that aggressive. At this point, they should be, but that doesn't mean will follow through on that strategy. But if the FO doesn't do much, even the most loyal True Believers may stop being True Believers. Saying you're rebuilding doesn't cut it anymore. 

6 hours ago, Sox72 said:

This is incredible optimism. Which - nothing wrong with it, I suppose. I just hope Hahn (or anyone else) isn’t relying on the same unjustified expectations.

Well, those guys I mentioned are the guys that are going to have to win pennants via the rebuilt roster. Collins is part of it and Rutherford is part of it to go with all those other guys who are all projected to be all stars. So what's left is the rotation and bullpen. To those who would disagree with me, I'd say what next then? Do you agree this lineup is it for the contendening years perhaps with the exception of Rutherford? Timmy leadoff followed by Moncada, Robert, Eloy, Abreu, Vaughn, Rutherford (or new RFer), Collins (McCann backup catcher) and Madrigal.

We have enough power with Eloy, Abreu, Vaughn Moncada, Robert. Pretty good infield defense. Probably subpar outfield defense; good catching.

But pitching? What's Hahn gonna do? Do we have enough for 2020 to win it? Gio, Lopez, Kopech and Cease with a FA. Are they good enough? Colome and Bummer enough to anchor a winning pen?

I see no reason to make excuses for 2020. Can't Hahn engineer a good offseason of tinkering to put us at 90 wins finally??? How long do we gotta wait for my above mentioned players to gel?

Edited by greg775

51 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Well, those guys I mentioned are the guys that are going to have to win pennants via the rebuilt roster. Collins is part of it and Rutherford is part of it to go with all those other guys who are all projected to be all stars. So what's left is the rotation and bullpen. To those who would disagree with me, I'd say what next then? Do you agree this lineup is it for the contendening years perhaps with the exception of Rutherford? Timmy leadoff followed by Moncada, Robert, Eloy, Abreu, Vaughn, Rutherford (or new RFer), Collins (McCann backup catcher) and Madrigal.

We have enough power with Eloy, Abreu, Vaughn Moncada, Robert. Pretty good infield defense. Probably subpar outfield defense; good catching.

But pitching? What's Hahn gonna do? Do we have enough for 2020 to win it? Gio, Lopez, Kopech and Cease with a FA. Are they good enough? Colome and Bummer enough to anchor a winning pen?

I see no reason to make excuses for 2020. Can't Hahn engineer a good offseason of tinkering to put us at 90 wins finally??? How long do we gotta wait for my above mentioned players to gel?

What kind of contract would you offer your hero and worship target Abreu.   

4 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

What kind of contract would you offer your hero and worship target Abreu.   

I've said in threads 3 years 39 million (as a reward for past service and penalty to cheap Jerry), but would be OK with 2 years 24 million with a club option year three for another 12 mill. Or 2 years 22 million with some incentives and a club option for year three for 11 mill. Sound good? What would it hurt?

(I guess if some team will offer him 45 mill for three years my hero must go; but listening to you guys he'll never ever be worth or receive that kind of offer; hail Abreu!)

Edited by greg775

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

Not to dismiss the rest of your post, but I have zero confidence Collins will ever meaningfully contribute to the Sox at the big league level. But here’s to hoping he proves me wrong. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

I've said in threads 3 years 39 million (as a reward for past service and penalty to cheap Jerry), but would be OK with 2 years 24 million with a club option year three for another 12 mill. Or 2 years 22 million with some incentives and a club option for year three for 11 mill. Sound good? What would it hurt?

(I guess if some team will offer him 45 mill for three years my hero must go; but listening to you guys he'll never ever be worth or receive that kind of offer; hail Abreu!)

Jose is hitting 260 w 22HR and 73 RBI. Those are pretty damn good numbers for 8/1. I am amazed a buyer didn't grab him for the final 2 months, especially an AL team.   I wonder what return Hahn wanted?

14 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Jose is hitting 260 w 22HR and 73 RBI. Those are pretty damn good numbers for 8/1. I am amazed a buyer didn't grab him for the final 2 months, especially an AL team.   I wonder what return Hahn wanted?

Maybe because that Aaron Rowand-esque OPS wasn't getting other teams to drop their pants and give up prospects that mattered.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Haha 1