Opinion: Jay should be DFA tomorrow, bring up Collins and others.

Jack Parkman

That money is sunk cost at this point. No reason to waste ABs on these schmucks. If they want to keep Castillo around as a 3rd C that is fine but bring Collins back up and give him ABs at 1B, DH and C. Collins' swing change is intriguing. If he continues to hit, I might not completely hate him anymore. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 3

• knightni changed the title to Opinion: Jay should be DFA tomorrow, bring up Collins and others.

DFA Jay and Castillo, call up Collins and Mercedes. When you play McCann and Collins in the same lineup, you at least have an emergency catcher on the bench.

Also, make a move to get Mendick every day at bats at 2B.

At this point, fuck it. Get some new faces here.

Edit: DFA Reed

Edited by soxfan2014

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

You've been on Jay's case since he came off the IL, Jack.  What's the deal?!? :cool:

He is a continued reminder of the failed offseason. It is the same reason they didn't bring back Shields even though they could have used him to eat innings this year. His continued presence on the roster is a constant reminder of how inept the organization is. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Jay and Castillo won't be released.

The White Sox have too much respect/loyalty for veterans...as long as they're contributing SOMETHING positive.   With Santana and Alonso, they really had no other choice.

And it would just make Hahn look dumber, and bring even more unwanted/unneeded attention to the fruitless pursuit of Machado again.

Edited by caulfield12

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He is a continued reminder of the failed offseason. It is the same reason they didn't bring back Shields even though they could have used him to eat innings this year. His continued presence on the roster is a constant reminder of how inept the organization is. 

I know Jack and I agree.  Just having a little fun.  I was ready to DFA Jay the day after Manny signed with the Padres.

I also agree to bring up Collins, also to give McCann some days off.  I think playing him every day is wearing him out a bit. 

Edited by wegner

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm a moron for giving up on Collins so soon. Willing to wear the dunce cap for that one. I could still be right but the swing change takes him from hopeless to having like 25% hope in my eyes. It is intriguing. 

no its ok, I'm at maybe 5% hope Collins is anything besides a platoon bat.

Jay is batting .316. Only one other player is batting above .300 and you want to replace Jay with a guy who was 2 for 26 in his time with the White Sox. 

This makes no sense. 

So you are just for blowing off any attempt to win the rest of the year? Should they be bring up some guys from the Arizona League too?

Does winning not concern you at all, at all? I say this again: People are still tuning in on their TVs to watch; People are still buying tickets to the games. I've going again in a couple weeks, and when we go and when we watch on TV, we like it when the Sox win. 

Another example of a poster on here who would rather lose just so he can watch some prospect improve. But wait, maybe you're right: if Collins gets enough at bats, maybe he can get his average up over .100. 

This is the post I am always gonna cite from now on when I talk about how a large group of people on this forum don't care about winning. This thread is ridiculous. 

Edited by vilehoopster

3 minutes ago, daggins said:

no its ok, I'm at maybe 5% hope Collins is anything besides a platoon bat.

3 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Jay is batting .316. Only one other player is batting above .300 and you want to replace Jay with a guy who was 2 for 26 in his time with the White Sox. 

This makes no sense. 

So you are just for blowing off any attempt to win the rest of the year? Should they be bring up some guy from the Arizona League too?

Does winning not concern you at all, at all? I say this again: People are still tuning in on their TVs to watch; People are still buying tickets to the games. I've going again in a couple weeks. Another example of a poster on here who would rather lose just so he can watch some prospect improve. If Collins gets enought at bats, maybe he can get his average up over .100. 

This is the post I am always gonna cite from now on when I talk about how a large group of people on this forum don't care about winning. This thread is ridiculous. 

I'd rather have the draft pick. There is no reason for them to try to win in 2019. Player development>>>>>>Wins this season. 2020 is a different story. They've had too many injuries to the pitching staff to worry about wins this year. Draft position matters. Wouldn't you rather have had  Benintendi and Adell instead of Fulmer and Collins? That is what 5-6 wins will get you. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd rather have the draft pick. There is no reason for them to try to win in 2019. Player development>>>>>>Wins this season. 2020 is a different story. They've had too many injuries to the pitching staff to worry about wins this year. Draft position matters. Wouldn't you rather have had  Benintendi and Adell instead of Fulmer and Collins? That is what 5-6 wins will get you. 

FWIW, Jay's defense has been bad enough that he's a replacement/below replacement level player and even though he's hitting over .300 he may well be helping our draft slot.

49 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That money is sunk cost at this point. No reason to waste ABs on these schmucks. If they want to keep Castillo around as a 3rd C that is fine but bring Collins back up and give him ABs at 1B, DH and C. Collins' swing change is intriguing. If he continues to hit, I might not completely hate him anymore. 

When did Collins change his swing?

50 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

DFA Jay and Castillo, call up Collins and Mercedes. When you play McCann and Collins in the same lineup, you at least have an emergency catcher on the bench.

Can't say I disagree. It's not like the Sox have been tearing the cover off the ball and winning. Hell bring up Robert and Madrigal too, idgaf.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

54 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I approve of this post. 

Jay, Castillo and Reed out, Collins, Mercedes, and Mendick in. 

Also, I'm ok with giving one last look to Fulmer. Osich can be DFA as well, and Ruiz can go back when Herrera returns from injury. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Don't look now, but collins has made a small swing change shortening his hand hitch at the start and he's swung a bit earlier in the count since his demotion. 

No clue with either will stick or actually matter but he's had a nice week.

Both an approach and mechanical change. Here it is. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I approve of this post. 

Jay, Castillo and Reed out, Collins, Mercedes, and Mendick in. 

Add Robert and Madrigal too. Get rid of whoever is in their way.

I look at it like this,

If the Sox plan to compete next year and spend money on some free agents then that starts our competitive window in 2020. So lets say a 5 year open window to win a World Series . So if you bring up Robert and Madrigal now  they mainly have to be good in that window so the service time after that shouldn't matter because the guys we brought up 1st like Giolito Lopez Moncada will be approaching FA if they are still here. Let them all start playing together now and hopefully Vaughn can jump a couple levels next year and join them in 2021 or end of 2020.

Fans may flock to see those guys all together now.