Moncada to IL, out at least 2 weeks per Merkin

Jack Parkman

46 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I said that. This hardly changes my take. The dude gets knicked up and acts like he’s seriously injured frequently. It’s not really a bid deal, and neither is this minor hamstring strain. 

34 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

So did I and it's true. Been his M.O. for some time. 

On the one hand, I appreciate ya'll owning your takes

OTOH, this take ain't it chiefs. Moncada was diagnosed with a strain by an MRI, and it is serious enough to be out 2 weeks. This is a legit injury.

And no, I don't care about the time you played through 3 broken ankles for your beer league softball team or whatever other dumb story makes you think a guy not being able to play through a hammy strain is soft.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

OTOH, this take ain't it chiefs. Moncada was diagnosed with a strain by an MRI, and it is serious enough to be out 2 weeks. This is a legit injury.

And no, I don't care about the time you played through 3 broken ankles for your beer league softball team or whatever other dumb story makes you think a guy not being able to play through a hammy strain is soft.

I’m not even referring to this particular injury. Obviously he is hurt needs to spend 10 days on the DL. But Moncada has multiple times even just this season left games due to minor injuries. This isn’t like this is the first time it’s happened.

The dude is super good and it’s not that big of a deal, but he’s made it abundantly obvious that he doesn’t like to play through pain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You guys are morons if you think playing through a hamstring strain of any grade is heroic.  It's fucking moronic and how you end up like Chris Paul in your early 30s.

I'm glad he asked out and if it's 2 weeks it's obviously is more than just "tightness".  These next 40+ games are meaningless in the grand scheme.  Moncada has already proven he can handle 3rd and put up a potential 6 WAR season.  Let him rest up, get back out there in a couple weeks and finish strong.

Agreed 100%. I always hate the hockey fan meatheads that say hockey is the best because players will play with a broken leg...how are you helping your team by playing injured? lol give me someone who can skate.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Both Mendick & Escobar are in the lineup tonight for Charlotte. Seems odd that the Sox wouldn't have his replacement already on their way if they know he is headed for the DL.

Yeah with an early game today, you figure someone would have been on the way. Unless they were flying out after the game which is unusual.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Gross. How do you not give Mendick a chance?  Especially with Madrigal taking over 2B at Charlotte.  

Yeah the fit was literally perfect. Someone posted asking how they're going to play everyone at Charlotte with Madrigal's promotion. This would have been a reasonable fix.

Edited by soxfan2014

On 7/31/2019 at 7:02 PM, greg775 said:

We're going to need some serious depth in the future. Stuff happens and we've had some key key players miss some time. I don't know what the front office can do, but now that Tim is back Moncada is out. Eloy was out a while. I hope they expand rosters in the future. We may need to go two deep at some positions.

Should be interesting to see what Hahn does to put together a championship roster. No question we'll have some real studs but we're going nowhere without pitching and defense. Never forget 2005 and what those starting pitchers did! GO SOX! Heal well Moncada, you are a stud.

Maybe we need to upgrade the training staff.  Glad the surgeries and time on DL isn't happening during the window of contention.  

On 7/31/2019 at 8:02 PM, gusguyman said:

It's very doubtful the MRI showed much of anything. In this case it was most likely "we didn't see much so we'll call it a grade 1."

All strains will take at least a week to heal even the most mild ones. If they were in contention he would probably be playing.

22 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Agreed 100%. I always hate the hockey fan meatheads that say hockey is the best because players will play with a broken leg...how are you helping your team by playing injured? lol give me someone who can skate.

Because a star player at 75% is still better than his replacement at 100% at giving the team a chance to win. Depends on who is hurt.

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Skating with a broken leg?

Depends which bone.  A fractured fibula, which is non-bearing is certainly feasible.  Many incidences in the NFL of players playing in the playoffs and Superbowl with one. It would be easier in hockey with the high lacing skates, although it's more difficult to injure it with that support as well.

Edited by ptatc

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I assume Yoan is here in Minneapolis with the team today.  Will be nice to have him back.

Cordell is probably headed back to AAA. Guess it could also be a Skole DFA.    

I hope it's Skole or Engel but it will probably be Cordell. Will be nice to have Moncada, Anderson, and Jimenez in the same lineup again. 

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Not in tonight's lineup. Wonder if he'll be in Charlotte's 

I thought for sure he'd be back today since he wasn't in Charlotte's lineup yesterday.  Maybe just a day off after the Saturday doubleheader and they think he needs a couple more games?  

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I thought for sure he'd be back today since he wasn't in Charlotte's lineup yesterday.  Maybe just a day off after the Saturday doubleheader and they think he needs a couple more games?  

I can't wait for Moncada's return.  He makes Sox games much more watchable...and on a personal note, really helps my fantasy lineup. ^_^

On 7/31/2019 at 6:35 PM, ChiSox59 said:

I’m not even referring to this particular injury. Obviously he is hurt needs to spend 10 days on the DL. But Moncada has multiple times even just this season left games due to minor injuries. This isn’t like this is the first time it’s happened.

The dude is super good and it’s not that big of a deal, but he’s made it abundantly obvious that he doesn’t like to play through pain. 

And trainers and coaches realize it's a long season and want you not to play through pain because you will just make it worse. Take the time to heal I don't understand how anyone gets bothered by taking time to heal. DO i love guys that can play 162 games . You bet i do but we are all built differently some body's are just built for the long haul.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And trainers and coaches realize it's a long season and want you not to play through pain because you will just make it worse. Take the time to heal I don't understand how anyone gets bothered by taking time to heal. DO i love guys that can play 162 games . You bet i do but we are all built differently some body's are just built for the long haul.

I think the primary  reason is that this is a tank season and they really aren't in any hurry to bring him back and thus they are being conservative. He is less likely to be injured in the minors as he is playing every other day, mostly, and not taking a roster spot and overloading an MLB player,.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think the primary  reason is that this is a tank season and they really aren't in any hurry to bring him back and thus they are being conservative. He is less likely to be injured in the minors as he is playing every other day, mostly, and not taking a roster spot and overloading an MLB player,.

Yes, well said.  They are slow playing the fuck out of it and I'm fine with it.  Last thing we want is for this to linger into the offseason.  Hopefully he can adjust his training to prevent the minor hamstring problems he's had this year.