Hahn expects aggressive offseason

KrankinSox

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The worst part of the trade deadline wasn’t being unable to extract value out of Colome or trading away international bonus pool to dump salary, but rather guys like Wheeler, Bumgarner, etc were not traded and will now cost us a draft pick if signed.  Really big bummer there.

Once 2020 comes, I am less concerned about draft picks. Time to build a major league winner. It what you rebuilt for and the majority of the next core has all arrived by next May. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I think they're gonna deal him in the offseason. Whether that is the right decision or not remains to be seen. 

I think there’s practically zero chance they deal him this offseason.  He’s our closer next year or at least in the mix.

Realistically, our biggest offseason needs are now the following (in no particular order):

1. TOR starter
  2. Depth starter
  3. RH setup man
  4. Right fielder
  5. Veteran 1B / DH
  6. Left-banded bat*

That’s at minimum five additions that are needed this offseason (assuming one of those bats is left-handed).  Hahn will definitely need to be aggressive if he wants to fill all those spots.  Would have helped if we got started at this deadline.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Once 2020 comes, I am less concerned about draft picks. Time to build a major league winner. It what you rebuilt for and the majority of the next core has all arrived by next May. 

Oh we have no choice, just would have been nice to limit the draft pick damage is all I’m saying.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think there’s practically zero chance they deal him this offseason.  He’s our closer next year or at least in the mix.

Realistically, our biggest offseason needs are now the following (in no particular order):

1. TOR starter
  2. Depth starter
  3. RH setup man
  4. Right fielder
  5. Veteran 1B / DH
  6. Left-banded bat*

That’s at minimum five additions that are needed this offseason (assuming one of those bats is left-handed).  Hahn will definitely need to be aggressive if he wants to fill all those spots.  Would have helped if we got started at this deadline.

1 or 2 at least one should be left handed too.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. TOR starter
  2. Depth starter
  3. RH setup man
  4. Right fielder
  5. Veteran 1B / DH
  6. Left-banded bat*

There's absolutely no chance this team is buying a TOR starter. You might as well scratch that idea now. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The challenge Hahn faces this offseason is the farm system is in really rough shape after you remove untouchables.  Just too many guys who regressed or got injured this year.  That puts a ton of pressure on him to fill a lot of holes via free agency.  If they’re willing to fund a league average payroll, then I think it’s doable.  But if they plan on filling major holes via trade, they’re in for a rude awakening.

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep and it’s main reason I wanted Colome dealt.  

Trade Colome for pieces you may have to trade for a closer??? 

It's clear they wanna try and compete next year, so are you comfortable going into the season with potentially Aaron Bummer as your closer? 

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

There's absolutely no chance this team is buying a TOR starter. You might as well scratch that idea now. 

I guess we’ll have to wait and see.  And while Cole is the guy we should be going all out for, when I say TOR starter I’m speaking loosely and including guys like Wheeler & Bumgarner.  If we’re unable to land one of the top four or five starters in free agency, then pack this shit up and move the team to Nashville because the organization is toast in Chicago.

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I guess we’ll have to wait and see.  And while Cole is the guy we should be going all out for, when I say TOR starter I’m speaking loosely and including guys like Wheeler & Bumgarner.  If we’re unable to land one of the top four or five starters in free agency, then pack this shit up and move the team to Nashville because the organization is toast in Chicago.

Oh god. They're not moving anywhere. lol

6 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Trade Colome for pieces you may have to trade for a closer??? 

It's clear they wanna try and compete next year, so are you comfortable going into the season with potentially Aaron Bummer as your closer? 

The problem wouldn’t be Bummer as the closer IMO, it would be the fact we just lost our best setup man.  Right now, we have three quality relievers we can count on in Colome, Bummer, & Fry.  For better or worse, Herrera will be in the mix next year and cross our fingers he returns to form.  Even with Colome, we’ll need to add at least one quality RH setup man.  Trading Colome would’ve made fixing the bullpen a bigger effort this offseason, but potentially would have worth it for a young, major league ready RF or SP.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They aren't going to get anyone good and they aren't going to move. They are going to get some middling acquisition that will help us reach .500 and more people will show up because we have such low standards after seeing the shit product they have put out there that we will think a .500 team is amazing. And that is exactly why we won't move from Chicago. We have been abused by this franchise for most of its history that now any time we are not the worst team in the division people will be excited. So we are an easily excitable fanbase in a major metropolitan area which is basically an owner's dream.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dickie Kerr said:

He's an unimaginative, big-talking pussy. But that's what his owner demands of him, so what can you do?

When this off-season again fails to produce tangible results, I hope the fans of this franchise REALLY start boycotting the horrendous product on the field. At some point, people will HAVE to realize that they are being scammed/played/manipulated by an empty soul who has figured out a new way (i.e., "the rebuild") of maximizing profits and selling false hope. 

Lmfao 

You bring the pitch forks,  i'll make the signs 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Just like many others here, he won’t be willing to take a guess but will then say we won’t sign anyone implying a $80M payroll next year.

It’s insane. The White Sox rebuilt guys! They didn’t become bottom dwellers in annual payroll obligations for fun. I know you all mock the saying, but there will be a good amount of money spent. They have legitimately boatloads to spend. At least try to be objective!! 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It’s insane. The White Sox rebuilt guys! They didn’t become bottom dwellers in annual payroll obligations for fun. I know you all mock the saying, but there will be a good amount of money spent. They have legitimately boatloads to spend. At least try to be objective!! 

I think its more of a wait and see for many approach. After all the quality of our FA's has been less than stellar and big FA names have been few and far between not to mention the same guys are in charge who never have signed a big ML FA. Plus JR seems to be umm che... I mean risk adverse to signing pitchers long term.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

They aren't going to get anyone good and they aren't going to move. They are going to get some middling acquisition that will help us reach .500 and more people will show up because we have such low standards after seeing the shit product they have put out there that we will think a .500 team is amazing. And that is exactly why we won't move from Chicago. We have been abused by this franchise for most of its history that now any time we are not the worst team in the division people will be excited. So we are an easily excitable fanbase in a major metropolitan area which is basically an owner's dream.

More of this stuff. Jeeze.

The Sox went 17 years between 1990 and 2006 where their worst finish was 3rd. They finished 3rd 4 times so they finished 1st or second 13 out of 17 years.

If you stretch it to 2012, they went 23 years with 1 4th place finish and 23 3rd or better; with 6 3rd place finishes... so 17 years with 2nd or first out of 23.

To say the sox have always been horrible and putting horrible product on the field is complete nonsense.

It's been a rough 8 years. Painful. But for the majority of my life they have no done what you are stating.

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Oh remember, Reinsdorf finally decided to rebuild at 80+ years of age so he could line his pockets with all those sweet rebuild savings!!

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think its more of a wait and see for many approach. After all the quality of our FA's has been less than stellar and big FA names have been few and far between not to mention the same guys are in charge who never have signed a big ML FA. Plus JR seems to be umm che... I mean risk adverse to signing pitchers long term.

The only pitcher getting more than five years will be Cole IMO.  That means everyone else should be in our wheelhouse (see Danks deal.)

And I get people being skeptical if we’ll ever sign a guy to a $200M+ deal, but that doesn’t mean we can’t land the vast majority of free agents this offseason.  People are just so butt hurt over last offseason that they’re no longer being rational.  We’ve always had middle of the pack payrolls or better under Jerry and that isn’t going to suddenly change because we temporarily cut back on spending like all rebuilding teams do.