Hahn expects aggressive offseason

KrankinSox

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The only pitcher getting more than five years will be Cole IMO.  That means everyone else should be in our wheelhouse (see Danks deal.)

And I get people being skeptical if we’ll ever sign a guy to a $200M+ deal, but that doesn’t mean we can’t land the vast majority of free agents this offseason.  People are just so butt hurt over last offseason that they’re no longer being rational.  We’ve always had middle of the pack payrolls or better under Jerry and that isn’t going to suddenly change because we temporarily cut back on spending like all rebuilding teams do.

There's just a lot to overcome. I know the money talks creedo but it's definitely hard to see the Sox going on a spending spree and even if they do who's going to beleive they make the right choices or  might prefer to start throwing prospects around over the winter .

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just like many others here, he won’t be willing to take a guess but will then say we won’t sign anyone implying a $80M payroll next year.

What's the point in guessing what the payroll will be? I have no idea. I do know they aren't going to sign players just to increase payroll and I know damn well they won't sign a TOR starter. There's 40 years of history that will tell you that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

What's the point in guessing what the payroll will be? I have no idea. I do know they aren't going to sign players just to increase payroll and I know damn well they won't sign a TOR starter. There's 40 years of history that will tell you that.

Just like we’d never rebuild, never trade a star to the Cubs, and never go into the international free agency penalty box.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Just like we’d never rebuild, never trade a star to the Cubs, and never go into the international free agency penalty box.

We've made several big trades with the Cubs over the years and The White Flag Trade happened. Not sure where you came up with those 2 things. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

More of this stuff. Jeeze.

The Sox went 17 years between 1990 and 2006 where their worst finish was 3rd. They finished 3rd 4 times so they finished 1st or second 13 out of 17 years.

If you stretch it to 2012, they went 23 years with 1 4th place finish and 23 3rd or better; with 6 3rd place finishes... so 17 years with 2nd or first out of 23.

To say the sox have always been horrible and putting horrible product on the field is complete nonsense.

It's been a rough 8 years. Painful. But for the majority of my life they have no done what you are stating.

He could have worded it a different way. ... Arguably we are one of the worst franchises in professional baseball if not all pro sports.  We're probably 20 percent from the bottom. Not sure what the one WS title does to it. We're definitely in the bottom half

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The challenge Hahn faces this offseason is the farm system is in really rough shape after you remove untouchables.  Just too many guys who regressed or got injured this year.  That puts a ton of pressure on him to fill a lot of holes via free agency.  If they’re willing to fund a league average payroll, then I think it’s doable.  But if they plan on filling major holes via trade, they’re in for a rude awakening.

Wait a second... IF?!?

You were practically yelling at me and anyone else who questioned the Sox being big spenders this upcoming offseason because they will have such a low payroll and so much money to spend on top free agents.

Now it’s only IF they are willing to fund a league average payroll?!?

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The worst part of the trade deadline wasn’t being unable to extract value out of Colome or trading away international bonus pool to dump salary, but rather guys like Wheeler, Bumgarner, etc were not traded and will now cost us a draft pick if signed.  Really big bummer there.

I don’t think Wheeler gets the QO

I'm more concerned about some volume in pitching over  front-line starter.  The Sox need 10 pitchers by my count, so some volume is necessary.  they need to be good, but great can wait.

The Sox have enough in their farm system beyond the untouchables for teams to like.  They always do. Players that other teams can improve upon, that the Sox have mishandled, that the Sox may not value but other teams do,  etc. are always there  The problem is that these players don't have a lot of trade value because other teams see the hidden assets as their premium; so the Sox will have to pile on these type of prospects.

The trick is for the Sox to find prospects in other orgs that have been mishandled, that have hidden virtue, etc.  and not just go for the obvious at a premium price. Can they?

12 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

We've made several big trades with the Cubs over the years and The White Flag Trade happened. Not sure where you came up with those 2 things. 

What are these big trades you’re referring to?  Sammy Sosa for George Bell in 1992?  Matt Karchner for Jon Garland in 1998?  Neil Cotts for David Aardsma in 2006?  I know Sosa became a star, but none of those were anything like the Quintana deal in terms of scale and the risk both clubs took on.

Also, White Flag Trade had nothing to do with rebuilding.  They traded a couple of decent pieces, but kept the vast majority of the core.  That is one of the biggest reaches I’ve seen in a long time.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What are these big trades you’re referring to?  Sammy Sosa for George Bell in 1992?  Matt Karchner for Jon Garland in 1998?  Neil Cotts for David Aardsma in 2006?  I know Sosa became a star, but none of those were anything like the Quintana deal in terms of scale and the risk both clubs took on.

Also, White Flag Trade had nothing to do with rebuilding.  They traded a couple of decent pieces, but kept the vast majority of the core.  That is one of the biggest reaches I’ve seen in a long time.

George Bell was a former MVP and 3x AS, but I guess that's not big enough. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Wait a second... IF?!?

You were practically yelling at me and anyone else who questioned the Sox being big spenders this upcoming offseason because they will have such a low payroll and so much money to spend on top free agents.

Now it’s only IF they are willing to fund a league average payroll?!?

Yeah, unfortunately I don’t work in the front office and can say with absolute authority that they’ll raise their payroll to ~$125M.  I can say with certainty they can afford a payroll of that level, that they should spend at that level, and that I think they will spend at that level, but whether they immediately jump there in 2020 remains an IF until they do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

George Bell was a former MVP and 3x AS, but I guess that's not big enough. 

Lol...so was Ken Griffey Jr, but I don’t really call that a big trade when he was at the end of his career.  Bell was out of the league after two seasons with us and wasn’t very good at the time of the trade.  But hey, keep on reaching.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...so was Ken Griffey Jr, but I don’t really call that a big trade when he was at the end of his career.  Bell was out of the league after two seasons with us and wasn’t very good at the time of the trade.  But hey, keep on reaching.

You're calling for the Chicago White Sox to sign a top of the rotation starter and I'm the one reaching? Ok, dude. hahaha. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bell was an All Star the year before joining the White Sox and received MVP votes in his first year with the White Sox.  It was a big trade at the time.

• Like 3

George Bell sucked but that’s neither here nor there....Before the Q trade, the last trade of consequence between the teams was Garland for Karchner.

I can’t believe so many people think the rebuild was some sort of scheme to lower payroll and they will never sign anyone ever again.... they outsmarted themselves and got too cute with Machado and lost out on him. Get over it.  Sox fans can be such a group of whiners. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Cmon.  Bell hit 4th or 5th every game he played in 1992.  He also hit 27 2B, 25 HR and drove in 112 runs.  Comparing him to where Griffey was in his career is completely disingenuous.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, turnin' two said:

Cmon.  Bell hit 4th or 5th every game he played in 1992.  He also hit 27 2B, 25 HR and drove in 112 runs.  Comparing him to where Griffey was in his career is completely disingenuous.  

Even if George Bell was good, that was during the damn George HW Bush administration.  What in the world are people trying to argue? That a trade 30 years ago shows that the cubs and Sox regularly make trades? Has everyone lost their minds?

• Love 1