Hahn expects aggressive offseason

KrankinSox

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So, just so we're clear, your expectation is that the Sox plan to move forward with one of the lowest payrolls in the game? 

Lowest payrolls in the game, AND the benefit of increased revenues due to the new TV deal. 

That's why any nonsense of not going after any premium free agent they want and fielding as competitive a bid as any other team is just that - nonsense!

It's not a question at this point whether they "can" spend the money.  Rather, it's whether they "want" to spend the money.  Last offseason, they clearly decided they didn't want to, despite the still-empty words of "the money will be spent".  Show us.  

5 minutes ago, tray said:

Losing  Rodon and Kopech for the year kind of hurt the rotation. If  both come back on their respective timetables  things may not be as dire in 2020 as some anticipate.

I see a 78-82 win team next year with zero additions and decent luck with health, though that might be asking a lot at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Lowest payrolls in the game, AND the benefit of increased revenues due to the new TV deal. 

That's why any nonsense of not going after any premium free agent they want and fielding as competitive a bid as any other team is just that - nonsense!

It's not a question at this point whether they "can" spend the money.  Rather, it's whether they "want" to spend the money.  Last offseason, they clearly decided they didn't want to, despite the still-empty words of "the money will be spent".  Show us.  

I dont think its necessarily "want to" either. What they dont want to do is have such a long term deal that it cripples the team down the road. They will always have a budget limit and paying someone in 6 years who is aging will hurt the competitiveness of the team.

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So, just so we're clear, your expectation is that the Sox plan to move forward with one of the lowest payrolls in the game? 

I said I don't expect them to sign a good free agent. They'll spend...it'll just be on the Kelvin Herrera's and Ivan Nova's of the world until they prove otherwise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

That being said, the bottom line is the payroll committed to 2020 as of right now (assuming no Abreu and Yolmer is non-tendered) is around $45M.  I am confident the White Sox will at a bare minimum be over $100M.  You can do the math - that is $55M minimum that will be added to 2020 payroll.

And with PLENTY of room to grow!  Let's put this into context.

The median payroll for MLB teams right now is somewhere around $140M.  We will be nearly $100M below just the median.  But as a major market club that just signed a new TV deal of our own, there is no reason in the world why this franchise shouldn't be clearing the median payroll numbers by a long shot.  

This is why not signing either of Machado or Harper last offseason will continue to be a major blemish on the Hahn/Williams/Reinsdorf record.  They could have signed either to the exact same contracts the two eventually ended up signing, and STILL had plenty of money leftover to fund any and all other commitments.  

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I said I don't expect them to sign a good free agent. They'll spend...it'll just be on the Kelvin Herrera's and Ivan Nova's of the world until they prove otherwise. 

Why do people keep thinking this?

They are going to have a very young and very cheap team next year.  Nova and to a lesser extent Herrera are place holders for a team that was never going to compete this year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I dont think its necessarily "want to" either. What they dont want to do is have such a long term deal that it cripples the team down the road. They will always have a budget limit and paying someone in 6 years who is aging will hurt the competitiveness of the team.

This major market team with it's new TV deal isn't going to be "crippled" at any point.   This is not the Villa Park White Sox we are talking about here!

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

They are going to have a very young and very cheap team next year.  Nova and to a lesser extent Herrera are place holders for a team that was never going to compete this year.

Do you actually think the Sox will sign Gerrit Cole or some other premier free agent this offseason? 

14 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

This major market team with it's new TV deal isn't going to be "crippled" at any point.   This is not the Villa Park White Sox we are talking about here!

Yes it can. If the the prospects produce as expected they will all become expensive in 5-7 years.

Giolito and moncada in 4, Jimenez and kopech in 5, cease in 6, madrigal and Robert in 7.

I would prefer to pay the players from in the organization who you know and know the medical history as opposed to an aging  pitcher in the 7 and 8 years of a contract.

18 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Do you actually think the Sox will sign Gerrit Cole or some other premier free agent this offseason? 

Yes I do.  They should not be outbid by anybody.  No team that is competing or close to competing has the same financial flexibility that we do.   

• Like 2

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

Yes I do.  They should not be outbid by anybody.  No team that is competing or close to competing has the same financial flexibility that we do.   

I agree with this. We will spead our money around though and not take any big risks. Cole and Wood are the absolute way to go for pitching. Wood and all other free agents should get 4 year deals or less. 

29 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Because they'd prefer to b**** and moan.  That's really all there is to it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Got it!  So they'll spend money, and perhaps alot of it. but you just assume it'll all be poorly spent.   Makes sense - context isn't important.  

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Because they'd prefer to b**** and moan.  That's really all there is to it.  

I totally get negative opinions of Jerry n co causing people to scrutinize every move, but were moaning about things that haven't happened yet.

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

I totally get negative opinions of Jerry n co causing people to scrutinize every move, but were moaning about things that haven't happened yet.

Moaning about and assuming they will not be able to sign quality players in FA is entirely justified based on their previous offseasons, particularly the last one. I for one don't believe at all that this organization will put >>$200 million anywhere close to the table as an offer for Cole, and we'll see if they prove me wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mqr said:

And the best part is it’s all because we didn’t sign Manny Machado to one of the five largest deals in baseball history. Despite the fact we offered him $31M+ per over eight years, many believe the White Sox will never sign a quality free agent in the future.  If people actually believe that, then they are simply not being rational anymore.  All but two or three free agents will get deals for under $100M.  For those citing history, we’ve spent $60M on Abreu, $50M on Robert, & $65M on a Danks extension.  To think we won’t go up to $100M for a player when we’re sitting on $45M in payroll commitments next year is insanity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Just because we weren't competing this year doesn't mean we can't make moves to improve the team for next year. That's why they went after Machado to begin with. If guys make sense for our window, we should be trying to bring them in. I think we brought in Herrera in Hope's that he could turn it around. Nova was an innings eater. It'll be interesting to see who we bring in this offseason. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Moaning about and assuming they will not be able to sign quality players in FA is entirely justified based on their previous offseasons, particularly the last one. I for one don't believe at all that this organization will put >>$200 million anywhere close to the table as an offer for Cole, and we'll see if they prove me wrong.

But what about $80M or less for Wheeler, Ozuna, or Grandal?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But what about $80M or less for Wheeler, Ozuna, or Grandal?

I'll bet right now that if we look at those 3 next year at this time, at least 1 of them will have made their team say "boy I wish we hadn't signed that deal" - the mid level of the free agent market is full of busts, like a rate of >50%, so even if they sign them it's hard to know that they're getting "quality players". 

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'll bet right now that if we look at those 3 next year at this time, at least 1 of them will have made their team say "boy I wish we hadn't signed that deal" - the mid level of the free agent market is full of busts, like a rate of >50%, so even if they sign them it's hard to know that they're getting "quality players". 

I would say the same is more or less true of Cole, he's more likely to be quality, but 200 mil is a lot to live up to. 

Edited by mqr