Hahn expects aggressive offseason

KrankinSox

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So you actually think our months long pursuit of Machado and $250M offer were all part of some extensive con?

No I think the FO is a bunch of clowns. I think they put a $175 million offer on the table in January and leaked it to the press thinking that it was an overwhelming offer and that no one else was going to be anywhere close to that, and that after that point they thought they were bidding against themselves and doing Machado's side a favor. I think they put like a $200 million offer on the table just before Soxtalk and thought they were going to get it done with that offer, which is why we had so many leaks of something happening right beforehand. When they got up to $250 million they thought they were bidding against themselves, they were told another team had a higher offer and didn't believe it, and then threw a temper tantrum in the press when someone actually put a fair, $300 million offer on the table. I think they genuinely thought "$175 million offered" would scare away other teams, when it did the exact opposite. 

I think they have no idea how to value players, overall.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No I think the FO is a bunch of clowns. I think they put a $175 million offer on the table in January and leaked it to the press thinking that it was an overwhelming offer and that no one else was going to be anywhere close to that, and that after that point they thought they were bidding against themselves and doing Machado's side a favor. I think they put like a $200 million offer on the table just before Soxtalk and thought they were going to get it done with that offer, which is why we had so many leaks of something happening right beforehand. When they got up to $250 million they thought they were bidding against themselves, they were told another team had a higher offer and didn't believe it, and then threw a temper tantrum in the press when someone actually put a fair, $300 million offer on the table. I think they genuinely thought "$175 million offered" would scare away other teams, when it did the exact opposite. 

I think they have no idea how to value players, overall.

You have coined a new name for SoxFest...if they similarly strike out again in the free agency market, it will instead be Torches&PitchforksFest for Rick “Gaston” Hahn.

They must have been convinced by the San Diego Union Tribune team finance articles that the Padres didn’t have the money...and were bluffing.  

Edited by caulfield12

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So you actually think our months long pursuit of Machado and $250M offer were all part of some extensive con?

I don’t think it was a con per se, but they weren’t going to pay the going rate IMO. I think they were very comfortable finishing in second. They didn’t he try for Harper, even though fake insider bucket of suck said they loved their position with him. The Nate Jones trade was very telling. The Rangers and Cubs are acquiring bonus money. The Sox would rather save $3 million than perhaps sign a player or players that may help them some day. The bottom line is all that really matters no matter how much White Sox owners have seen their net worth rise through the years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'd like to think the Sox set a price on Machado and wouldn't go over that price because they knew they could fill the hole internally. It is the White Sox though, so...

So why waste all that time and energy if they were so confident in Moncada and Anderson at third and SS?   Seems strange they were invested in Machado at third for $250 million (keeping Moncada at second) but not for $300 million...which was the WELL-KNOWN asking price all along.

The only conclusion is that they didn’t have a firm handle on how committed the Padres were 1) to spend more even with Myers and Hosmer deals on the books, 2) to pair Tatis and Machado together as early as Opening Day and 3) their pledge to put the best 25 players out there regardless of service time.  Along with the weather (Manny was already familiar with SoCal due to Dodgers’ stint) and the Padres having the best farm system, a nicer stadium and better attendance, it wasn’t that hard to choose.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I mean, it appears that way.   Including some of the stupid twitter "leaks" about "competitive offer".  Who the fuck loses a bid in FA and then comes up with the "competitive offer" shit?  That's some spin.

What would this elaborate con actually accomplish?  I mean, all it takes is about five minutes on this website to see how enraged the fanbase over us botching the signing.  Was their end game just to piss off their fans?

One can only wonder if Robert, Moncada and Abreu were Dominican...would it have made the difference, or a difference?

Because obviously Alonso, Jay, Castillo, Nova and Herrera on short term deals wasn’t going to cut it....just seems that all we hear (or used to hear, until Jose fell off a cliff offensively) about is that we have to keep Abreu around to mentor the younger Cubans and be a mentor/role model for them.

I know everyone will say it’s only about the Benjamin’s, but not sure it’s so cut-and-dried as that.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What would this elaborate con actually accomplish?  I mean, all it takes is about five minutes on this website to see how enraged the fanbase over us botching the signing.  Was their end game just to piss off their fans?

I don't think they have any moles here.  I don't think they know how to relate to fans in 2019.  They are just a really old fashioned, stuck in their ways org.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don't run with this excuse as I said above, but note that the White Sox's attendance has substantially improved this year. Their braggadocio during the offseason about how they were going to add a middle of the order bat put them in the news and likely sold some season tickets.  That was one potential motivation to publicly be deceptive.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t think it was a con per se, but they weren’t going to pay the going rate IMO. I think they were very comfortable finishing in second. They didn’t he try for Harper, even though fake insider bucket of suck said they loved their position with him. The Nate Jones trade was very telling. The Rangers and Cubs are acquiring bonus money. The Sox would rather save $3 million than perhaps sign a player or players that may help them some day. The bottom line is all that really matters no matter how much White Sox owners have seen their net worth rise through the years.

Dick Allen is on a roll on here. I'd nominate Dick as most knowledgeable fan with PTATC second and fathom third. How bout u guys do a podcast with those three. I think Dick pretty much has  correct takes on what's going on with the organization and so called rebuild; I think ptatc speaks for himself re. injuries and fathom has good basic knowledge. How bout u hold a podcast with the big three of soxtalk?

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Selling XX amount of season tickets over two months.

Of course, using logic I only see in the local tourist industry, if they lost 10-15% the following year in renewals, they’d simply increase prices 10-15% and it would balance out.  Or they planned on spending in 2019-20 all along and felt it would be easier to get those fans already invested with ticket packages to follow through with a renewal when they finally signed Gerrit Cole, for example.  Exposure to product, bringing in new customers instead of making their loyal, long time ticket holders happy...because those guys who are really loyal are stuck with the Sox brand for better or worse.

Now that’s a conspiracy theory for you.  Basic incompetence or arrogance or lack of preparation/research, though, seems even worse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Dick Allen is on a roll on here. I'd nominate Dick as most knowledgeable fan with PTATC second and fathom third. How bout u guys do a podcast with those three. I think Dick pretty much has  correct takes on what's going on with the organization and so called rebuild; I think ptatc speaks for himself re. injuries and fathom has good basic knowledge. How bout u hold a podcast with the big three of soxtalk?

Only if Balta, Rabbit and SS2k5 are the guest moderators...

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't run with this excuse as I said above, but note that the White Sox's attendance has substantially improved this year. Their braggadocio during the offseason about how they were going to add a middle of the order bat put them in the news and likely sold some season tickets.  That was one potential motivation to publicly be deceptive.

I’m sure the Machado sweepstakes helped them sell a few tickets, but the long-term damage of failing to deliver on their “the money will be spent” promise will far outweigh those extra tickets in 2019.  The one thing I can say with certainty is the front office really wanted to land Machado.  Whether they were incompetent in terms of valuation or they simply botched the process and got outplayed at the end, they actually thought they would land him.  There was no con here and Reisndorf isn’t this boogeyman whose sole goal it to make rebuilding profits.  They simply fucked up at the end and let a small market competitor jump in and steal their guy at what ended up being a reasonable price point.  It’s really that simple.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s an incompetent GM supervised by a terrible owner...end of story.  It’s been two years now of Hahn failing to bring in a possible core player besides the draft.

You don't mention Kenny. Isn't Hahn supervised by Williams supervised by JR???

I try not to pay attention to what Hahn says, but hopefully if being aggressive adds some quality free agents to the team I'm all for it. I go to most of these games and White Sox fans deserve a better team  than what we've seen the last 7 years. The White Sox crowds have been good this year. This team should draw more people than last year. I think  that White Sox fans should be commended for coming out this season. White Sox fans are starving for some winning baseball. Hopefully it starts in 2020.

• Like 1

The Sox are going  to have to play ball with the big boys in FA in order to finish this thing off. Unfortunately, injuries and underperformance have killed the once promising depth from 2017. The guys they have left with significant value to other teams are pieces they can't afford to trade. Uncle Jerry is going to have to put on his big boy pants or they're going to top out at 88 wins or so and everyone will be infuriatingly frustrated beyond belief. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't think they have any moles here.  I don't think they know how to relate to fans in 2019.  They are just a really old fashioned, stuck in their ways org.

Yes.  This is, after all, the organization that just sent their announcer out to attack the fans.  They haven’t a clue how to relate to fans.

• Like 1

I'm really concerned that the Danks fiasco is going to scare JR from ever going 5+ years on a pitcher again. It was the only time he's ever gone 5 years on a pitcher, and Danks didn't even last 2 seasons on that deal before his arm fell off. IIRC, he signed that deal in his walk year to avoid arbitration and by the following June, he was under the knife and subsequently finished.

They had to carry Danks for 2.25 seasons where he had no business being anywhere close to an MLB roster, before finally cutting him with 3/4 of a season left on his deal. I understand Danks taking the money but for a year and a half it was clear he was just embarrassing himself taking the mound every 5th day. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm really concerned that the Danks fiasco is going to scare JR from ever going 5+ years on a pitcher again. It was the only time he's ever gone 5 years on a pitcher, and Danks didn't even last 2 seasons on that deal before his arm fell off. IIRC, he signed that deal in his walk year to avoid arbitration and by the following June, he was under the knife and subsequently finished.

They had to carry Danks for 2.25 seasons where he had no business being anywhere close to an MLB roster, before finally cutting him with 3/4 of a season left on his deal. I understand Danks taking the money but for a year and a half it was clear he was just embarrassing himself taking the mound every 5th day. 

I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad philosophy, not going over 5 years for pitchers. I think that if that Sox want to land Cole, they have to give him a crazy AAV and maybe go a sixth year.