Hahn expects aggressive offseason

KrankinSox

"We uhh had a noble pursuit of a certain right handed pitcher named Gerrit Cole, we believed we had the highest offer with terms around the longest term, and highest dollar figure.  However, it is uhhh important that both sides are protected through arbitrage in this process and the offer presented may have be uhhh misconstrued by certain media outlets to be lesser years with lesser dollars and incentives to push the offer uhhh to that highest dollar figure.  That being said, uhhh we look forward to adding Clay Buchholz to this 40 man roster and win multiple championships with this 40 man roster."

Edited by Soxnfins

53 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I am actually 100% okay with the quantity approach in free agency. We really need to turn over the 40 man roster and while I could argue otherwise, the team won't look at Rendon as a fit. Past Rendon, Cole is going to be highly desired and it is not reasonable to expect the Sox to sign a pitcher to a 6-9 year deal with an AAV north of a quarter mil.

1) Sign Grandal - 4 years, 64M

2) Sign Alex Wood - 1 year + player option. 11M + 8M

3) Sign Tony Cingrani - 2 years, 19M

4) Sign Brandon Kintzler - 2 years, 10M

5) Trade Fry and a prospect to the Dodgers for Ross Stripling

6) Trade a couple prospects for Brandon Nimmo.

Then I assume the Sox will keep Abreu for 1+1 at a cheap price.

By April 20th we're looking at: 

1) CF Robert 2) 3B Moncada 3) 1B Abreu 4) C Grandal 5) LF Eloy 6) RF Nimmo 7) SS Anderson 8') DH Collins 9) 2B Madrigal - Use the DH as rotating with Abreu getting starts there and Leury getting starts with regular starters getting a look at DH. Your bench is McCann, Leury and couple of others.

1) Giolito 2) Wood 3) Kopech 4) Cease 5) Lopez/Stripling - Stripling can move and back forth from the pen being the flex guy when injuries occur. Rodon returns late in year and Dunning would seemingly be ready midseason for added depth.

Pen: 1) Colome 2) Bummer 3) Kintzler 4) Cingrani 5) Stripling and whoever else they want to run with.

Is that a perfect team? No. Is it pretty good? I think so. And it won't cost that much. To me the big thing is just signing Grandal.

A guy like Odorizzi would really go a long way to solidifying our rotation as well. He should be in the Sox price range, and I have no issue paying for pitching. 

Grandal would be a nice pickup

This really would not cost all that much, or tie up too much future money. I would also explore the possibility of extending Moncada now.

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Robert, Eloy and Tim (though I may be willing to move him in the right deal) are the only untouchables in the entire organization.  Everyone else is on the table.  Trade whoever it takes.  This organization needs an enema.  

So Brodie Van Wagenen asks for Vaughn-Madirgal-Cease, you're moving them for him? 

And how is Tim on your list, but not Moncada? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Gotta pay to play.  Guys a difference maker.  Go get him.

Our farms untouchables are Robert/Kopech/Cease/Madrigal/Vaughn

Beyond that you have Dunning coming off TJ, Stiever who is a rising prospect, and a slew of C+ guys like Rutherford/Gonzalez/Adolfo/Walker/Basabe/Sheets that won't get you much in a trade. 

Sox should not even consider moving any of our main prospects, they are future long term roster pieces. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

So Brodie Van Wagenen asks for Vaughn-Madirgal-Cease, you're moving them for him? 

In any big trade, Madrigal should be considered. I would need more control than what Conforto has left though.

Conforto is great, but as others have said, he's going to be expensive and is only controlled 2 years after this one.  Not sure I'd be willing to pay the price to get him.  His presensce (and with McNeil) is what makes me think that Nimmo may actually be attainable.  Nimmo has a little less power, but they're actually similar players.  Nimmo was actually quite a bit better than Conforto in 2018 (148 OPS+ for Nimmo vs. 122 for Conforto) when both played 140+ games.  Nimmo's injury history definitely gives you some pause, but its also the only reason his price shouldn't be astronomical.  Nimmo would also come with three full years of control, and since he was hurt all of 2019, his arb 1 salary should be pretty reasonable.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

In any big trade, Madrigal should be considered. I would need more control than what Conforto has left though.

That would be selling Madrigal short. I think he's easily a 2-3 WAR player annually for the White Sox, with the potential for even more.

High floors are undervalued in my opinion relative to sexier 5 tool guys. Good organizations should hold onto guys that are pretty safe bets to be a quality regular. 

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Good point.  It would be contingent on signing him to an extension (the money will be spent!).

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Done

I forgot about Moncada.  Same as Tim.  It would have to be the right deal.  

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

That would be selling Madrigal short. I think he's easily a 2-3 WAR player annually for the White Sox, with the potential for even more.

High floors are undervalued in my opinion relative to sexier 5 tool guys. Good organizations should hold onto guys that are pretty safe bets to be a quality regular. 

Pun intended.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Conforto is great, but as others have said, he's going to be expensive and is only controlled 2 years after this one.  Not sure I'd be willing to pay the price to get him.  His presensce (and with McNeil) is what makes me think that Nimmo may actually be attainable.  Nimmo has a little less power, but they're actually similar players.  Nimmo was actually quite a bit better than Conforto in 2018 (148 OPS+ for Nimmo vs. 122 for Conforto) when both played 140+ games.  Nimmo's injury history definitely gives you some pause, but its also the only reason his price shouldn't be astronomical.  Nimmo would also come with three full years of control, and since he was hurt all of 2019, his arb 1 salary should be pretty reasonable.  

I would kill to have someone on this team with a 15% walk rate. 

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Good point.  It would be contingent on signing him to an extension (the money will be spent!).

Done

Giving up 18+ years of top 40 prospects for two years of Conforto is completely assinine.

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Done

As I said said in a previous thread, the FO should never listen to fans, ever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

For those of you expecting the Sox to sign a good free agent this offseason, bless your soul. I learned my lesson with Machado. I have no expectations anymore.

So, just so we're clear, your expectation is that the Sox plan to move forward with one of the lowest payrolls in the game? 

• Like 1