8/1/19 Mets@Sox Gamethread extraordinaire

wegner

4 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Why the hell is Yermin not up yet? Probably because the front office doesn't want to look stupid by having to get rid of Reed already.

They don't even have to get rid of Reed!  He has an option! 

5 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Why the hell is Yermin not up yet? Probably because the front office doesn't want to look stupid by having to get rid of Reed already.

Because they have to meet the annual quota of one awful middle of the order hitting lefty DH.

Edited by soxfan2014

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

Nice to see a scoreless inning from Carson.  Watching on gameday...I get the impression he was effectively wild?

Stuff was much better. He was sitting 95-96 with life and the secondary pitches were pretty crisp. Yes, he was effectively wild though. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I hope he stays up the rest of the season.  I don't care if he's awful they have to get a longer look.

If he stays up I don't think he's going to be awful. He was throwing wicked shit up there today. 

Is it awful that they used the 8th overall pick on a reliever or do I just overvalue 1st round picks in baseball? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Thanks Jack.  I still have hope that he will be a useful bullpen piece when we are ready to compete.  Not the starter we were hoping from a 1st round pick but you have to have a lockdown bullpen to compete this days. 

1 minute ago, Tomtom said:

Someone please explain to me why .140 hitting Reed if in the freaking cleanup spot!  He shouldn’t be Ben be in the lineup.  Such an obvious tanking job by the Sox.

Ricky likes a balances line-up, even his left handed hitter is fucking awful. 

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

Thanks Jack.  I still have hope that he will be a useful bullpen piece when we are ready to compete.  Not the starter we were hoping from a 1st round pick but you have to have a lockdown bullpen to compete this days. 

This is the best I've seen him look in all of his appearances at the MLB level. They gotta give him at least the rest of this season and until Memorial Day 2020 if he's throwing this type of stuff. They might have a setup man here. He definitely deserves a look over guys like Ruiz and Osich. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If he stays up I don't think he's going to be awful. He was throwing wicked shit up there today. 

Is it awful that they used the 8th overall pick on a reliever or do I just overvalue 1st round picks in baseball? 

If he becomes a solid reliever, that is a lot better than other first round picks who have failed and never even played in the MLB. Seriously, just look at any draft class over the past 15-20 years and you will say "who?" a lot.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

If he becomes a solid reliever, that is a lot better than other first round picks who have failed and never even played in the MLB. Seriously, just look at any draft class over the past 15-20 years and you will say "who?" a lot.

I don't say who a lot because I'm a baseball diehard and a prospect guy. I've heard of most of the 1st round picks since 2004ish. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't say who a lot because I'm a baseball diehard and a prospect guy. I've heard of most of the 1st round picks since 2004ish. 

Ok but that wasn't exactly the point. You've heard of them but probably haven't heard their name since they were drafted or top  prospects for a couple of years.

Edited by soxfan2014