It's That Time Of The Year Again...

SoxAce

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Cuz he likes to troll.

Bring on the tank.  A good college arm that is near ready for the majors is definitely what the Sox need with their first pick.

You don't draft for need, but it's real nice when the draft aligns with your needs

• Like 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

The Sox are 1-10 their last 11 games vs. teams with losing records. Good news for the tank lovers.

Everyone was excited when they were winning before the Allstar break but it’s obvious that was a facade.  So we may as well lose and lose hard for the best pick.  None of these half measures.

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Everyone was excited when they were winning before the Allstar break but it’s obvious that was a facade.  So we may as well lose and lose hard for the best pick.  None of these half measures.

One thing I do know if they pick 4th or 11th, most will be very unhappy with the pick, but will love the second rounder no matter what especially if it is lost due to a free angent signing.

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

You don't draft for need, but it's real nice when the draft aligns with your needs

Great point that many fans forget. Unlike the NBA or NFL where you expect an impact that season, MLB takes three or four years and who knows what you will need.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

One thing I do know if they pick 4th or 11th, most will be very unhappy with the pick, but will love the second rounder no matter what especially if it is lost due to a free angent signing.

I disagree. Our board has been very receptive to the Sox initial pick in drafts during this tank job. I hesitated to express caution on Madrigal for instance. And Vaughn was proclaimed instant fan favorite!

With Moncada out for a couple weeks, I think we have a real shot at the 4th overall pick. However, this team has a history of dead cat bounces non-linear development that manifests itself in September. I could see us having an abysmal August, pulling to 2 games back of the Jays, then jumping up to 8th or something with a .500 September. 

46 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I disagree. Our board has been very receptive to the Sox initial pick in drafts during this tank job. I hesitated to express caution on Madrigal for instance. And Vaughn was proclaimed instant fan favorite!

Most fans find that once the deed is done it's more enjoyable to look for the plus rather than the endless complaining some few seem to enjoy.  For example...I wasn't enamored with Vaughn before the draft but now I'm on board and hope he's the fast track guy many think he is.  Why would I want anything other now that he's part of the White Sox stable of hopefuls? 

8 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I want to tank hard to get a higher pick in the draft, but what is the cost in the long run? How does it impact the player’s psyche? Will they get too comfortable with losing?

I'm fairly certain everybody that will be a part of this team knows there are some reinforcements on the way.   

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

I want to tank hard to get a higher pick in the draft, but what is the cost in the long run? How does it impact the player’s psyche? Will they get too comfortable with losing?

There is some evidence in the past that teams that stunk beyond belief can suddenly start winning. Though we could use some veteran additions for the mound to help this.

9 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

Some of the impact will depend on how the losses occur. 

16 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I think we end up at 6 and I'll be very happy.  Strong draft and a lot more high end pitching

Yeah, I think anything in the top 10 should get us a good player. It sounds like this draft has a deeper first tier, but that first tier isn't as impactful as this year when the top 2 or 3 were highly ranked in the top 100 right after they got drafted.

The Sox look to be trending towards another top 5 draft pick.  Detroit and Baltimore appear to have a hold on the bottom two spots in the standings but after that anything is possible.  I still feel that the Pale Hose could make a push for the playoffs in 2020 but has the window for contention officially moved to 2021?

1 minute ago, Good Guys said:

The Sox look to be trending towards another top 5 draft pick.  Detroit and Baltimore appear to have a hold on the bottom two spots in the standings but after that anything is possible.  I still feel that the Pale Hose could make a push for the playoffs in 2020 but has the window for contention officially moved to 2021?

Detroit and Baltimore are top two with KC (40W) and Miami (42W) behind them. 

That leaves Toronto (44W), Pittsburgh (47W), Seattle (47W) and the White Sox (46W).

Worst case, the White Sox look like a top 8 pick. With a lot of losses, and some other luck, they could be 5-7.

1 hour ago, Good Guys said:

I think those 2 statements are mutually exclusive.  If we're woeful enough to garner a top 5 pick, I don't think we would be competitive for a playoff position in 2020.  You're talking about probably going from 90 losses to 90 wins in one season.  About 15 things would have to go perfectly right for that to happen.  Knowing our history, what are the chances of that happening?

21 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

At some point, you have to start winning.

If they finish the year with 68 wins, but Moncada, Anderson, Giolito have breakout seasons along with Lopez rebounding in the 2nd half, it's a successful season. We saw enough from Jimenez to think he can he blow up next year as well.

We're not far off from Robert being here early next year....

Realistically, a rotation this bad is not going to win consistently. They are going to lean on Cease and Kopech joining the rotation next year and have a solid group of 4 with ideally one strong top of the rotation option. If these guys can pitch, they will be good. I think it's going to be a close call though - Kopech and Cease are so young, Lopez was bad all year, and they don't have a good veteran starter. The lineup will improve. The rotation may hold them back.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

I think those 2 statements are mutually exclusive.  If we're woeful enough to garner a top 5 pick, I don't think we would be competitive for a playoff position in 2020.  You're talking about probably going from 90 losses to 90 wins in one season.  About 15 things would have to go perfectly right for that to happen.  Knowing our history, what are the chances of that happening?

Probably better than you think given the young talent they have coming next year still, but not as good as others may be hoping for.

42 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

It happens, but it is certainly very rare.

That said, most of our prospects arriving/returning from injury/breaking out  would be a good way to add a ton of wins.

15 hours ago, bubba phillips said:

So the question is are the Sox set up to improve by 18 wins.  Expect continued improvement from Lopez, Eloy, Madrigal & Gio.  The addition of Robert and Madrigal changes the offense by leaps and bounds.  Return of Kopech, Rodon, Dunning, Burr and Hamilton from assorted ailments.  Cease for the full year will be another plus.  Add a right fielder of good quality and a couple of starting pitchers of decent quality by trade or free agency.  The 18 win improvement is certainly within reach.  The quality of those pitchers & new right fielder make the task easier or harder as the case might be.  In my optimistic opinion....piece of cake.