It's That Time Of The Year Again...

SoxAce

41 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Mike Trout was drafted 25th overall.  It would seem knowing who to pick is a matter of evaluating the best talent available when it's your turn.  Plenty of top 5 draftees never make it.  Some franchises are really good at this and many others not so much.  Lot's of small/medium market teams stand out such as Atlanta, St. Louis, Minnesota and Milwaukee.  When these teams lose a player it always seems someone Is ready to step up.

Yelich and Huira REALLY stand out so far...an example of a player with some flaws in college and injury questions who looks like an absolute hitting machine so far at the major league level.  Milwaukee doesn't have any standouts in their starting staff, but they also don't have anyone who will embarrass them or get them blown out of games early like a number of the 5th/emergency starters we've been forced to use this season.

It's also about projection...looking at what Fulmer was, and what his teammate Buehler became.

29 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

How dare you steal my job!

2014... psssh. Pretender. Try since 2009.

But thanks for filling in (I'll give you the past couple of years), but the king is back. ;)

EDIT: by the way Joe, I love how I actually said that in your '16 thread. :lol:

Edited by SoxAce
  • Haha 2

I honestly don’t care too much where we pick as long as it’s in top 10.  If the young  guys perform and keep us in the back end then great.  If the old / AAAA guys continue to flop and drive us down to five even better.  I just want to be able to sign any free agent this offseason and not have to worry about losing our first round pick.

The last few draft years we have pretty much taken the consensus pick for our slot and that has worked out OK in my opinion.  When KW was general manager we took swings for the fences on athletes who failed miserably because they were football players in baseball uniforms.  Kenney always thought he was smarter than the entire universe of baseball talent scouts.  He wasn't!

5 hours ago, SoxAce said:

2014... psssh. Pretender. Try since 2009.

But thanks for filling in (I'll give you the past couple of years), but the king is back. ;)

EDIT: by the way Joe, I love how I actually said that in your '16 thread. :lol:

Ron would have made this a ban bet, you cowards.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, poppysox said:

The last few draft years we have pretty much taken the consensus pick for our slot and that has worked out OK in my opinion.  When KW was general manager we took swings for the fences on athletes who failed miserably because they were football players in baseball uniforms.  Kenney always thought he was smarter than the entire universe of baseball talent scouts.  He wasn't!

When KW was general manager the White Sox were also regularly drafting outside the top 10. In some cases they completely gave up their first round picks, in most others they were at least well after pick 15. There's often a clear consensus guy for the top 5 or 6, but by the time you're around spot 10 or later there's 3 or 4 guys who could be viewed equally.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

When KW was general manager the White Sox were also regularly drafting outside the top 10. In some cases they completely gave up their first round picks, in most others they were at least well after pick 15. There's often a clear consensus guy for the top 5 or 6, but by the time you're around spot 10 or later there's 3 or 4 guys who could be viewed equally.

I agree that the top 5 have a higher degree of consensus.  There is usually consensus for 20 or so guys going in the 1st round but the order is not as clear as for the first few.

9 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

May as well lose out and get the highest pick they can.  This roster is horrid.

Honestly, I’m less concerned about getting the highest pick possible this year (the young guys playing well is far more important), I just don’t want to have a first round pick hanging over head when pursuing free agents this offseason.  That being said, I’m more than fine is the plethora of garbage pitchers continue to lose some games for us.

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, I’m less concerned about getting the highest pick possible this year (the young guys playing well is far more important), I just don’t want to have a first round pick hanging over head when pursuing free agents this offseason.  That being said, I’m more than fine is the plethora of garbage pitchers continue to lose some games for us.

I thought  they changed it where you only lose a 2nd rounder now? Was I wrong?

Here we go. The Sox 1st round pick will be protected. The following is from last year, but the Sox will fall in the same category this winter as well. They lose a 2nd if they sign a player who had a QO extended to them. If they sign 2 players that had QO's extended to them, it's a 2nd and a 3rd that they lose. Either way they keep their first round pick.

https://www.mlb.com/news/draft-picks-for-2018-19-qualifying-offers-c300535882

Penalties for signing players who reject QOs
Any team that signs a player who has rejected a qualifying offer is subject to the loss of one or more Draft picks. However, a team's highest first-round pick is exempt from forfeiture, which is a big change that went into effect with the new CBA. Three tiers of Draft-pick forfeiture -- based on the financial status of the signing team -- are in place to serve as a penalty for signing a player who rejected a qualifying offer:
• A team that exceeded the luxury tax in the preceding season will lose its second- and fifth-highest selections in the following year's Draft, as well as $1 million from its international bonus pool for the upcoming signing period. If such a team signs multiple qualifying-offer free agents, it will forfeit its third- and sixth-highest remaining picks as well.
Teams that are in this group this offseason: Nationals, Red Sox
• A team that receives revenue-sharing money will lose its third-highest selection in the following year's Draft. If it signs two such players, it will also forfeit its fourth-highest remaining pick.
Teams in this group: A's, Braves, Brewers, D-backs, Indians, Mariners, Marlins, Orioles, Padres, Pirates, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Royals, Tigers and Twins.
• A team that neither exceeded the luxury-tax threshold in the preceding season nor receives revenue sharing will lose its second-highest selection in the following year's Draft, as well as $500,000 from its international bonus pool for the upcoming signing period. If it signs two such players, it will also forfeit its third-highest remaining pick and an additional $500,000.
Teams in this group: Angels, Astros, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Mets, Phillies, Rangers, White Sox and Yankees.

• Like 2

Not complaining about a Giolito masterpiece, but any thought of getting a pick better than 8 is out the window. 

Fangraphs had the Sox going 71-91 entering today, and I highly doubt the Sox will be any worse than 75-87. They're going to have some low hanging fruit the last three weeks of the season where they'll go 12-7 or better.

I think they get 9 or 10.

8 minutes ago, flavum said:

Not complaining about a Giolito masterpiece, but any thought of getting a pick better than 8 is out the window. 

Fangraphs had the Sox going 71-91 entering today, and I highly doubt the Sox will be any worse than 75-87. They're going to have some low hanging fruit the last three weeks of the season where they'll go 12-7 or better.

I think they get 9 or 10.

Next 5 series are all pretty tough.  Texas, Twins, Braves, Tribe, Angels.  

We will see.

On 8/18/2019 at 7:29 PM, SoxAce said:

Rockies came back and won today. Hopefully the Pirates beat the Cubs tonight (Cubs are on the road). 

Rockies just lost Gray and Freeland for season.  They are in the same tank.

38 minutes ago, flavum said:

Sox finish the week with the 9th pick position. 5-2 this week. Rockies on their way to 1-6.

I think they'll be outside the top 10. It will be interesting to see what they do next June. This next week and a half is tough,  but then it lightens up significantly.