It's That Time Of The Year Again...

SoxAce

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I don't want peeps to get banned but I hope in the future they are as lenient on greg as a couple peeps saying rude stuff to me.

Greg, I know sarcasm is difficult to decipher over text, and I struggle with it as well. If you know Ron as a poster as well as you should, he's being 100% facetious there. He's just ball busting. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, flavum said:

Sox draft position at the end of each Sunday since the All Star Break:

10-9-8-8-8-8-9-9-9-9-9-11

It’s annoying, but I’m not going to complain too much. Yoan/Tim/Eloy are the main reasons why this team has been winning lately, and I’d rather have them playing well resulting in the Sox having a worse draft pick opposed to them struggling resulting in a better pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Agreed. This September was fantastic for the Sox.

And as much as I don't care for him, the fact that the young guys had an amazing September is a credit to the fact that they really want to play for Rick Renteria.  No sign of losing the clubhouse in a pretty crappy year's end.

3 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

It’s annoying, but I’m not going to complain too much. Yoan/Tim/Eloy are the main reasons why this team has been winning lately, and I’d rather have them playing well resulting in the Sox having a worse draft pick opposed to them struggling resulting in a better pick.

Thirded. I'm ok with it because Eloy, Moncada and Anderson finished the season on fire. 

24 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I'm not sure how the new qualifying offer rules work. If the Sox sign a free agent that received a QO would they lose their pick because it's outside of the top 10?

That was under the old rules. Here's the breakdown for how it works now. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/mlb-qualifying-offer-rules-explained-c259650658.html

17 hours ago, Sarava said:

Yep, and like 2017, the Sox will pick 11th and the Angels 10th. They got Adell last time, and we got Burger. Let's hope fortunes are reversed this next time.

Remember the year that we drafted right before them?

We got Jared Mitchell, they got some high school kid.

2 hours ago, knightni said:

Remember the year that we drafted right before them?

We got Jared Mitchell, they got some high school kid.

Randal Grichuk.

It's a little different when we know we were targeting Adell, Lux, and Benintendi one spot before drafting. 

It's different when we talk about passing on Trout, who the Angels then proceeded to pass on.

44 minutes ago, Quin said:

Randal Grichuk.

It's a little different when we know we were targeting Adell, Lux, and Benintendi one spot before drafting. 

It's different when we talk about passing on Trout, who the Angels then proceeded to pass on.

Even Grichuk is better than Mitchell.

7 minutes ago, knightni said:

Even Grichuk is better than Mitchell.

I still wonder what the universe would be like if he had not destroyed his leg. A guy who just put up a .368 OBP and a .808 OPS at Birmingham, nearly 50 extra base hits during the year, struck out too much but was still getting on base, might have been an excellent guy to work on his "Launch angle" when that came into vogue a couple years later...

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I still wonder what the universe would be like if he had not destroyed his leg. A guy who just put up a .368 OBP and a .808 OPS at Birmingham, nearly 50 extra base hits during the year, struck out too much but was still getting on base, might have been an excellent guy to work on his "Launch angle" when that came into vogue a couple years later...

Yeah, I agree with you. I think Mitchell would have been a Mike Cameron type hitter with worse D had he stayed healthy. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 9/28/2019 at 9:23 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Greg, I know sarcasm is difficult to decipher over text, and I struggle with it as well. If you know Ron as a poster as well as you should, he's being 100% facetious there. He's just ball busting. 

Could have had better choice of words. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

So if the Sox sign a player who rejected a QO - say Zack Wheeler - they'd forfeit their 2nd round pick.  Somewhere in the high 40s overall.  Correct?  

Yes...I believe that is correct.  The upside is there will be less competition for his services do to that compensation.