Rutherford vs. Walker

Jack Parkman

Blake Rutherford vs. Steele Walker   

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you have as the better prospect?

Both are 22 years old and have somewhat disappointing production for their level. Who do you think has the better chance of being a MLB contributor? 

To remind people, Rutherford hit .293 in A+ last year and Walker is hitting .275 there this year. I'd have to look up the power numbers.

Edited by Jack Parkman

I love Steele's future possibility playing RF in Chicago so I'd vote for him multiple times if I could like "punch AJ"

But Rutherford seems to be coming along too....seeing him go yard opposite field the other night was very nice.

I didnt realize this but Walker is 10 months older than Rutherford. Rutherford just turned 22 around Memorial day and Walker turned 23 Tuesday. 

After doing more research it isn't really that close and the only thing Rutherford has going for him is being more advanced at a younger age. 

Edit: I had Walker's college injury wrong. Thought it was a hand, it wasn't. Changes the equation and makes it close again. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Walker has the better hit tool, more power and might be able to stick in CF. I have him as the better prospect for those reasons. 

Interesting...I didn't think he would stick in CF.... thanks.

17 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Unless there is some reason we should ignore walker's age and production, he is underwhelming to me. Very overrated around here. People already slating him into the White sox outfield

I'm actually with you here. 

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

As big of a Steele fan as I am, I actually went with Rutherford. I think his floor could end up being Ryan Sweeney 2.0

This is much closer than people give it credit for. I don't feel like either is that great of a prospect but both still have a chance. I just don't know who has more. 

19 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Unless there is some reason we should ignore walker's age and production, he is underwhelming to me. Very overrated around here. People already slating him into the White sox outfield

So are you saying you like Steele more or less than Abreu?

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I'm actually with you here. 

This is much closer than people give it credit for. I don't feel like either is that great of a prospect but both still have a chance. I just don't know who has more. 

I think Rutherford not progressing the way everyone thought he would has really soured a lot of people's perception on him. He's already matched his total HR output he had last year while competing at a higher level, a MUCH harder park to hit in, and in 100 less AB's. There is still much need for improvement, but considering he's already made the jump and is having [limited] success in Double-A after the horrid start he had, I wouldn't be surprised to see him eventually reach the majors in some capacity. It just seems like he is going to do it at a much decelerated pace as you would hope from a former top 100 prospect. Plenty of guys make their debuts at 25-26 years old, and he is still just 22. The good thing is that neither of these guys are expected to be cornerstones of the rebuild, so anything we get out of them is a bonus. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I think Rutherford not progressing the way everyone thought he would has really soured a lot of people's perception on him. He's already matched his total HR output he had last year while competing at a higher level, a MUCH harder park to hit in, and in 100 less AB's. There is still much need for improvement, but considering he's already made the jump and is having [limited] success in Double-A after the horrid start he had, I wouldn't be surprised to see him eventually reach the majors in some capacity. It just seems like he is going to do it at a much decelerated pace as you would hope from a former top 100 prospect. Plenty of guys make their debuts at 25-26 years old, and he is still just 22. The good thing is that neither of these guys are expected to be cornerstones of the rebuild, so anything we get out of them is a bonus. 

Nice post. Rutherford could be a late blooming HS guy. Those happen and do exist. 

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know it's not really the question, but for all the talk these two get around here:

Basabe > Gonzalez > Walker > Rutherford 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Basabe > Walker > Adolfo > Gonzalez > Rutherford

It's just nice to have some OF depth in the minors...let's see who steps up.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Basabe > Walker > Adolfo > Gonzalez > Rutherford

I have Walker and Rutherford ahead of Adolfo and Gonzalez. Walker and Rutherford are approximately equal to me. Basabe is the clear # 2 OF in the Sox system. Adolfo would be #3 if he could ever stay on the field. But he can't, so that moves him behind SW/BR. 

Basabe>Walker/Rutherford>Adolfo>Gonzalez 

Imho. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I have Walker and Rutherford ahead of Adolfo and Gonzalez. Walker and Rutherford are approximately equal to me. Basabe is the clear # 2 OF in the Sox system. Adolfo would be #3 if he could ever stay on the field. But he can't, so that moves him behind SW/BR. 

Basabe>Walker/Rutherford>Adolfo>Gonzalez 

Adolfo had a recurring issue with his elbow that’s finally been corrected.  He’s going to play OF in the Arizona Fall League to help make up for lost time.  For now he’s behind Walker, but even with the injury uncertainty he’s well above Gonzalez & Rutherford IMO.  Micker’s upside is crazy good if the arm returns to form.

Also, I have no idea why Blake has so many supporters around here, because his numbers are bad this year and he’s shown little to know signs of improvement as the season has progressed (outside of his BABIP).  Yes he’s young and there’s hope for him, but he’s done nothing to warrant the praise he gets around here.

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Adolfo had a recurring issue with his elbow that’s finally been corrected.  He’s going to play OF in the Arizona Fall League to help make up for lost time.  For now he’s behind Walker, but even with the injury uncertainty he’s well above Gonzalez & Rutherford IMO.  Micker’s upside is crazy good if the arm returns to form.

Also, I have no idea why Blake has so many supporters around here, because his numbers are bad this year and he’s shown little to know signs of improvement as the season has progressed (outside of his BABIP).  Yes he’s young and there’s hope for him, but he’s done nothing to warrant the praise he gets around here.

I have no idea why anyone has Walker at a higher level than Rutherford. He's older, at a lower level and has a lot of the same questions about his offensive profile as Rutherford. Gonzalez is bordering on an organizational player at this point and if Walker doesn't show better in Birmingham than Gonzalez did this year, he'll go that way too. I'm talking myself into Rutherford here even though I voted Walker. It is really close IMO. 

As for Adolfo, I don't know if they're going to get a couple extra options on him but if not, it's going to be hard for him to ever be successful. He's in Burger territory right now where if they get anything out of him it's a major win. He's missed almost as much time as Burger. 

Adolfo should be healthy next year but a 20 month layoff is hard to overcome. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Walker actually just turned 23.  Rutherford hasn’t put up a single good season in his career.  He is only a prospect due to draft position and age.

Walker has actually shown improvement and growth.  Rutherford is a weak hitting, corner outfielder.  He is basically Ryan Sweeney Lite.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

13 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Walker actually just turned 23.  Rutherford hasn’t put up a single good season in his career.  He is only a prospect due to draft position and age.

Walker has actually shown improvement and growth.  Rutherford is a weak hitting, corner outfielder.  He is basically Ryan Sweeney Lite.

I know but Rutherford has only been 22 for a couple months. He doesn't turn 23 until late May 2020. He still has time. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I have no idea why anyone has Walker at a higher level than Rutherford. He's older, at a lower level and has a lot of the same questions about his offensive profile as Rutherford. Gonzalez is bordering on an organizational player at this point and if Walker doesn't show better in Birmingham than Gonzalez did this year, he'll go that way too. I'm talking myself into Rutherford here even though I voted Walker. It is really close IMO. 

As for Adolfo, I don't know if they're going to get a couple extra options on him but if not, it's going to be hard for him to ever be successful. He's in Burger territory right now where if they get anything out of him it's a major win. He's missed almost as much time as Burger. 

Adolfo should be healthy next year but a 20 month layoff is hard to overcome. 

Adolfo played half a season in 2018 and at least got 20 games at AA this year, that’s exponentially more playing time than Burger.  Also, like I said he’ll be playing in the Arizona Fall League to help make up for lost time.  And yes, we're getting an additional option for him.  Writing off a guy who will be 23 years old at the AA is pretty nuts IMO.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Adolfo played half a season in 2018 and at least got 20 games at AA this year, that’s exponentially more playing time than Burger.  Also, like I said he’ll be playing in the Arizona Fall League to help make up for lost time.  And yes, we're getting an additional option for him.  Writing off a guy who will be 23 years old at the AA is pretty nuts IMO.

I know that Adolfo had half of a year in 2018, but I had no idea he played more than a few games this season nor did I know he'd be ready to play by the time the AFL rolls around. That helps, but it's still 20 games in 16 months. That's still hard. Not quite Burger territory but a half Burger. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

15 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I mostly agree with your post, although I really don’t agree with the Ryan Sweeney comp.  Ryan struck out like 11% of the time in AA (vs Blake’s 26%) and drew more walks.  I also think Blake has much more raw power than Sweeney ever did, the problem is it doesn’t really translate to games.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mostly agree with your post, although I really don’t agree with the Ryan Sweeney comp.  Ryan struck out like 11% of the time in AA (vs Blake’s 26%) and drew more walks.  I also think Blake has much more raw power than Sweeney ever did, the problem is it doesn’t really translate to games.

Yep, Rutherford strikes out too much.  I guess I see him as a guy scouts thought had a great swing and that the power would eventually come around but never does, just like Sweeney.

Yeah I think Walker is most likely to make majors for a decent career, Adolfo best to make it as a starter. Decent career means longevity not necessarily starter. 

Adolfo > Basabe > Walker > Gonzalez > Rutherford