Rutherford vs. Walker

Jack Parkman

Blake Rutherford vs. Steele Walker   

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you have as the better prospect?

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah I think Walker is most likely to make majors for a decent career, Adolfo best to make it as a starter. Decent career means longevity not necessarily starter. 

Adolfo > Basabe > Walker > Gonzalez > Rutherford

I put Basabe ahead of Adolfo only because Adolfo is made of glass. No doubt though that he has by far the biggest tools and upside out of any prospect we have in the system not named Robert. If his arm is 100% again after TJS, it just enhances that. Flip flop Gonzalez and Rutherford too and that's my list. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I put Basabe ahead of Adolfo only because Adolfo is made of glass. No doubt though that he has by far the biggest tools and upside out of any prospect we have in the system not named Robert. If his arm is 100% again after TJS, it just enhances that. Flip flop Gonzalez and Rutherford too and that's my list. 

I think Adolfo and Basabe had a chance to sneak into the T100 list if not for their injury issues. Adolfo has the most upside out of any OF in the system outside of Robert, but he's made of glass and has played 20 games in 16 months, should he play in the AFL. It's really hard to recover from that kind of layoff really quickly. I think Adolfo is a good bet to run out of options but get a random callup after putting it together at 26-28 and have a short but productive MLB career. 

I don't know who a good comp for Adolfo is but Jose Bautista keeps coming to mind. He lasted until age 38 as a regular though. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

In my head, and I don't know if it is real, but Luis Gonzalez seems to be a reasonable analog for Steele Walker. and last year at WS, Gonzalez hit .313/.376/.504.  Walker is currently at .267/.341/.419.  That was in 62 games for Gonzalez and 72 currently for Walker.  Gonzalez had hit more doubles and triples, Walker has 1 more HR.  Gonzalez had a 27/46 BB/K ratio and Walker's is 28/47.  Their numbers are pretty similar.  And a lot of people (myself included) were pretty optimistic about Gonzalez, but the adjustment to AA has tempered that a little bit.

Now, I am not a scout, and honestly haven't seen more than 25 ABs from either guy, so maybe this comp is way off.  They just seem like similar type players to me.  Though if Walker has been battling a core injury all year, that certainly would have an impact.

I say this, just to point out how difficult the jump from A+ to AA can be. 

For reference, I didn't vote, because I feel like the 2 guys are pretty close, and I'm hopeful that out of the two (3 with Gonzalez) the Sox get a RF.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, turnin' two said:

In my head, and I don't know if it is real, but Luis Gonzalez seems to be a reasonable analog for Steele Walker. and last year at WS, Gonzalez hit .313/.376/.504.  Walker is currently at .267/.341/.419.  That was in 62 games for Gonzalez and 72 currently for Walker.  Gonzalez had hit more doubles and triples, Walker has 1 more HR.  Gonzalez had a 27/46 BB/K ratio and Walker's is 28/47.  Their numbers are pretty similar.  And a lot of people (myself included) were pretty optimistic about Gonzalez, but the adjustment to AA has tempered that a little bit.

Now, I am not a scout, and honestly haven't seen more than 25 ABs from either guy, so maybe this comp is way off.  They just seem like similar type players to me.  Though if Walker has been battling a core injury all year, that certainly would have an impact.

I say this, just to point out how difficult the jump from A+ to AA can be. 

For reference, I didn't vote, because I feel like the 2 guys are pretty close, and I'm hopeful that out of the two (3 with Gonzalez) the Sox get a RF.  

I have Walker ever so slightly ahead of Rutherford. I also agree with you about Gonzalez as an analog for Walker. Rutherford is probably going to repeat AA next year and that is fine. They're super close as prospects, which is why I created the thread. I'm surprised it has been a 70-30 split in favor of Walker. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

For me it's all about ceiling and despite the injuries Adolfo still has the highest ceiling in the group.  He has a chance to be an impact middle of the order bat.  Walker's gonna hit.  He has a short quick compact swing so consistently hitting velocity won't be an issue and he has  the athleticism to make adjustments along the way.  

Adolfo>Walker>Basabe>Rutherford>Gonzalez

9 hours ago, SoxAce said:

This latest surgery had nothing to do with an additional injury. It was a build up of scar tissue from his previous UCL reconstruction. It's not really fair if you are including this as an injury.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

This latest surgery had nothing to do with an additional injury. It was a build up of scar tissue from his previous UCL reconstruction. It's not really fair if you are including this as an injury.

We all know that. It isn't about him being injured as much as playing only 20 games in 16-20 months. That is really hard to overcome when you aren't an established MLB player. It's even worse for Burger where it will be at least 18 months for him facing no live pitching whatsoever, and not even having a full season in pro ball. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I have no idea why anyone has Walker at a higher level than Rutherford. He's older, at a lower level and has a lot of the same questions about his offensive profile as Rutherford. Gonzalez is bordering on an organizational player at this point and if Walker doesn't show better in Birmingham than Gonzalez did this year, he'll go that way too. I'm talking myself into Rutherford here even though I voted Walker. It is really close IMO. 

As for Adolfo, I don't know if they're going to get a couple extra options on him but if not, it's going to be hard for him to ever be successful. He's in Burger territory right now where if they get anything out of him it's a major win. He's missed almost as much time as Burger. 

Adolfo should be healthy next year but a 20 month layoff is hard to overcome. 

Adolfo does not need to be on the major league roster until opening day 2022.  There is PLENTY of time for him to get back on track.  

59 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

We all know that. It isn't about him being injured as much as playing only 20 games in 16-20 months. That is really hard to overcome when you aren't an established MLB player. It's even worse for Burger where it will be at least 18 months for him facing no live pitching whatsoever, and not even having a full season in pro ball. 

This is true. however, i was commenting on posters sating he is "made of glass." This latest surgery is not indicative of that.

16 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

After doing more research it isn't really that close and the only thing Rutherford has going for him is being more advanced at a younger age. 

13 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I have no idea why anyone has Walker at a higher level than Rutherford. He's older, at a lower level and has a lot of the same questions about his offensive profile as Rutherford.  I'm talking myself into Rutherford here even though I voted Walker. 

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I have Walker ever so slightly ahead of Rutherford. 

Lol, you're all over the place within a single thread. You just make shit up as you go.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, you're all over the place within a single thread. You just make shit up as you go.  

No, did you read that edit in the first one? I thought Walker had a hand injury not an oblique. I initially thought Walker was just recovered from a hand injury but I had bad info. Hand injuries change equations for Hitters. Before that I thought it was really close and it turns out that my initial analysis was correct. I understand the arguments for both. 

6 minutes ago, daggins said:

I'm gonna wait until Walker bounces off of AA before I comment on this. In general, though, I think Rutherford is the better 'spect.

Cmon man.  No time to be prudent an gather more data, especially critical data like how he handles the most significant jump into a park that suppresses offense like crazy.  We need takes now!  This is the internet for crying out loud!!!

• Haha 2

Walker up to a 124 wRC+. If he finishes this year strong, he could finish with a combined wRC+ of 140 for the year between levels with nice walk and k rates. A really nice first year of professional baseball. He was always a well rounded player who did a lot of things well but nothing great do I don't think anyone should have expected some 190 year in the minors.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

This is true. however, i was commenting on posters sating he is "made of glass." This latest surgery is not indicative of that.

He's had injury issues dating back to rookie ball (which obviously at the time wasn't faur to label him). It is well known. 

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Cmon man.  No time to be prudent an gather more data, especially critical data like how he handles the most significant jump into a park that suppresses offense like crazy.  We need takes now!  This is the internet for crying out loud!!!

Rutherford’s problem isn’t his lack of power, it’s his shitty K & BB rates which his home park has no impact on.  You really seem to take any criticism of him personally.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rutherford’s problem isn’t his lack of power, it’s his shitty K & BB rates which his home park has no impact on.  You really seem to take any criticism of him personally.

This wasn't even responding to criticism of Rutherford.  It was more saying that there should be a wait and see approach for Walker, because AA is difficult, a case I tried to make with the comparison to Gonzalez.  

And I don't think I take criticism of him personally, he certainly has room for some of it, and has earned it.  I do find it odd that you seem to go out of your way to drag him though, that is true.  

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Home park doesn't affect K/BB rates but level of competition does, which is why we gotta see what Walker does in AA. FWIW I think they're both 40FV guys and probably won't factor much into the next good Sox team.

Just now, turnin' two said:

This wasn't even responding to criticism of Rutherford.  It was more saying that there should be a wait and see approach for Walker, because AA is difficult, a case I tried to make with the comparison to Gonzalez.  

And I don't think I take criticism of him personally, he certainly has room for some of it, and has earned it.  I do find it odd that you seem to go out of your way to drag him though, that is true.  

I go out of my way to “drag him through” because there is a misconception around here that he’s been a radically better player as the season progressed when it takes about five minutes looking at his stats to quickly deem that wrong.  I’ve said multiple times I’m not writing him off as he’s young and AA is tough like you said, but the kid has had a really bad season and he’s probably a 40 FV type prospect at this point.

7 minutes ago, daggins said:

Home park doesn't affect K/BB rates but level of competition does, which is why we gotta see what Walker does in AA. FWIW I think they're both 40FV guys and probably won't factor much into the next good Sox team.

Fair take.  Walker may be no different in the end and AA will be the real test no doubt.

18 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I have Walker and Rutherford ahead of Adolfo and Gonzalez. Walker and Rutherford are approximately equal to me. Basabe is the clear # 2 OF in the Sox system. Adolfo would be #3 if he could ever stay on the field. But he can't, so that moves him behind SW/BR. 

Basabe>Walker/Rutherford>Adolfo>Gonzalez 

Imho. 

Is the right fielder we need for next year in this group?

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Is the right fielder we need for next year in this group?

No. The huge issue is that the lineup needs a couple LH bats. None of those guys will be ready until 2021 at the earliest. 

Collins and Sheets are the closest LH sticks to MLB ready in the upper minors. Sheets is probably pushing it a bit and they don't have a ton oc internal options. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No. The huge issue is that the lineup needs a couple LH bats. None of those guys will be ready until 2021 at the earliest. 

Collins and Sheets are the closest LH sticks to MLB ready in the upper minors. 

Thanks...I thought I read somewhere that 2020 was when Rutherford was expected to debut.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fair take.  Walker may be no different in the end and AA will be the real test no doubt.

This is all I have been trying to say.  

And that it isn't fair to do a straight comp because of the more intense competition at AA.

Edited by turnin' two

44 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

This is all I have been trying to say.  

And that it isn't fair to do a straight comp because of the more intense competition at AA.

I don’t disagree.  I do personally like Walker’s tools better though and I feel like he’s a guy who could really benefit from the juiced ball.

Edited by Chicago White Sox