A fair and balanced soliloquy about Jose Abreu, by ron

ron883

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I have the same take on this as you do.  Perhaps Hahn will let Jose test free agency then resign him for a short and relatively cheap window while we wait for Vaughn.

Yeah I think this means they're not going to overpay for him. If Jose is back next year, it'll be a really cheap one year deal.

I voted yes because I think he will be back. I don’t see our front office being smart enough to move on.

If the question was SHOULD Jose be back I would have answered no. A DH that cant maintain an .800 OPS just isn’t useful and I won’t be shocked to see him to continue to regress. He looks/moves much older than he is. 

At best I’d offer Jose something like 2/$12M and tell him to find a better offer...

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Better make it 10 years.  In 8 years he will still be competing for MVP by the looks of him.

And in 15 years, the White Sox will trade Gio Gonzalez' son to get Trout for their Wild Card push.

58 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Get ready for many threads of this type over the next two months.  The games are not going to be relevant other than those wanting a tank.

How many more threads could Ron possibly make about the same topic? 

Edited by Sleepy Harold
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Don’t get me wrong, making several threads is overkill...but I do find it very odd that a lot of people seem to be in denial that Jose just flat out isn’t a good hitter anymore. At what point are people willing to call it what it is? We’re over 1000 straight PA’s now

A lot of people are coming to that realization now during this horrid stretch. People give Ron shit because he's been saying this for like 4 years now. It reminds me of my dad and uncle who have always said Abreu sucks, even though it hasn't always been true.

Edited by soxfan2014

Just now, raBBit said:

If Ron can keep his Abreu opinions here it serves good purpose. 

When NWINFan wrote that, he was responding in a newly created thread by Ron, not the superthread that we just merged 

• Like 1

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

A lot of people are coming to that realization now during this horrid stretch. People give Ron shit because he's been saying this for like 4 years now. It reminds me of my dad and uncle who have always said Abreu sucks, even though it hasn't always been true.

No of course Jose hasn’t sucked for 4 years. Anyone who was complaining about him before the all-star break last year was probably out of line. Jose was a very good/all-star level bat and seems like 1 hell of a nice person...but all good things must come to an end, and it seems like we are there/if not really close with Jose. 

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Jose goes on a run hitting well...crickets.

Jose struggles...I told you he sucks!

He's in a slump.  He'll rebound...then probably slump again...then rebound.  He does the same thing almost every year.

So fucking true.  At some point in the future those slumps won’t end, but right now it’s impossible to declare that.

2 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Don’t get me wrong, making several threads is overkill...but I do find it very odd that a lot of people seem to be in denial that Jose just flat out isn’t a good hitter anymore. At what point are people willing to call it what it is? We’re over 1000 straight PA’s now

It's been a helluva "slump".   Over his last 994 PA he has produced 1.5 fWAR mostly based off a very mediocre slash line around a 105 wRC+.  That's Yolmer territory for value.  In fact, because he can actually man an important defensive position over the same time frame Yolmer has been worth 2.1 fWAR.

Hopefully that helps put it into perspective that Jose Abreu's value is almost 100% in his bat.  And his bat no longer is any good.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's been a helluva "slump".   Over his last 994 PA he has produced 1.5 fWAR mostly based off a very mediocre slash line around a 105 wRC+.  That's Yolmer territory for value.  In fact, because he can actually man an important defensive position over the same time frame Yolmer has been worth 2.1 fWAR.

Hopefully that helps put it into perspective that Jose Abreu's value is almost 100% in his bat.  And his bat no longer is any good.

Do you think Yolmer has been a better, more impactful player over the last 2 seasons?

Because in reality a replacement level player the Sox have found for Yolmer is maybe, Goins? Saladino?  Seems like a reasonably talented substitute is easy to find.  For Abreu, well look at their recent options at DH/1B, Yonder, Palka, Reed, Davidson, LaRoche.

The question I keep asking about getting rid of Abreu remains, who are you going to replace him with that is better?