A fair and balanced soliloquy about Jose Abreu, by ron

ron883

Yeah the options aren't great. But one angle I can think of if you decide to go with someone else is it is easier to just cut bait if someone in the organization happens to break out in the upper minors. Like say Thames as an example: lefty, no emotional ties to the fan base or anyone in the system, they can cut him if another option breaks out.

15 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Just that easy huh.  Silly me.

Jose Abreu (33)
Matt Adams (31) — $TBD mutual option with a $1MM buyout
Yonder Alonso (33) — $9MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Lucas Duda (34)
David Freese (37)
Brad Miller (30)
Mitch Moreland (34)
Steve Pearce (37)
Mark Reynolds (36)
Anthony Rizzo (30) — $14.5MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Justin Smoak (33)
Eric Thames (33) — $7.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Neil Walker (34)
Ryan Zimmerman (35) — $18MM club option with a $2MM buyout

There is the list.  Abreu looks like he may be the best hitter of the bunch.

And if you are splitting time with Collins, since he is a LHH, you'd probably want a RHH.

Did JD Martinez sign an extension? Thought he was FA next year.

6 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Jose goes on a run hitting well...crickets.

Jose struggles...I told you he sucks!

He's in a slump.  He'll rebound...then probably slump again...then rebound.  He does the same thing almost every year.

Hogan is da man! Great post. There always are guys fans do this to. I am very surprised people turned on Jose. It's all about money though. Some vocal posters don't like to spend Jerry's money for some reason. Or they think saving here and there (not signing Jose) will help us sign guys like Manny. Whatever ... it's sad. Pick on somebody truly bad. Why is Jose the whipping boy? I mean I admit I was hard on Rios, but I've been pretty nice to other players.

The Brewers have Braun, Thames and Jesus Aguilar who serve basically the same purpose.

Corey Dickerson.

Domingo Santana.

Adams, Smoak and Moreland would be fine.

Grandal’s ability to play first, catch and DH makes him even more valuable.

Doubt another trade with the Cubs happens for Schwarber, but he’s a solid change of scenery candidate.

Need someone like Ben Zobrist five years ago...not so easy to find in reality.

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

1) The Brewers have Braun, Thames and Jesus Aguilar who serve basically the same purpose.

1) Starts with a post that would seem like a response to another but is not. Just a subject change. And Aguilar got traded btw.

--------

2) Corey Dickerson.

Domingo Santana.

2) Subject change to obligatory list of random players.

--------

3) Grandal’s ability to play first, catch and DH makes him even more valuable.

3) Back to Brewers. They are established as the key subject of this post in the Ron-Abreu thread.

-------

4) Doubt another trade with the Cubs happens for Schwarber, but he’s a solid change of scenery candidate.

4) Quick subject changed to suggest acquiring a left fielder that shouldn't be on the field when we already have a left fielder that shouldn't be on the field. Cubs are rivals. Cubs sell. Makes the post a bit more risque.

------

5) Need someone like Ben Zobrist five years ago...not so easy to find in reality.

5) Subject change to hypothetical acquisition of player in a past time period. Acknowledgment of the impracticality of time travel.

I think #5 could have used a reference to A Wrinkle in Time or perhaps another piece of classic literature or even a reference to Zobrist's public divorce to be a great caulfield post. This post was about 7/10. Good but room for improvement. 

Caulfield what is with the obsession with the Brewers? You just started a thread about their pitching staff in PHT.

Edited by raBBit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Caulfield what is with the obsession with the Brewers? You just started a thread about their pitching staff in PHT.

Wow, you’re really bringing your A game today.

As far as the Brewers go, minus their stadium, that seems to be the current “best case scenario” for the White Sox in terms of payroll and the allocation of aforementioned monies on starting pitching, until proven otherwise.

Actually, there’s really no point talking about 1B because the Sox will undoubtedly bring back Abreu for one more year, to get Robert through his rookie season.

Finally, would have thought you were more of a “Safety Not Guaranteed” guy with your movie references.

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Ok. Who?

It might be difficult to find a replacement, so let’s lock ourselves into the same below average player (that is only getting worse) for safety because of a fear of the unknown. What a bizarre strategy that would be to build a winning baseball team.

If Hahn is inept as I think and can’t find a replacement Jose will still be there to circle back to. Conveniently he doesn’t want to go anywhere and I highly doubt he will have much interest from other teams. 

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

It might be difficult to find a replacement, so let’s lock ourselves into the same below average player (that is only getting worse) for safety because of a fear of the unknown. What a bizarre strategy that would be to build a winning baseball team.

If Hahn is inept as I think and can’t find a replacement Jose will still be there to circle back to. Conveniently he doesn’t want to go anywhere and I highly doubt he will have much interest from other teams. 

You missed the point.

This is the biggest “look at me” complete asshole thread. Why would mods not shut something like this down? Completely embarrassing. Let’s all make glorified personal gratification threads. They will proceed with no problem. What a fucking joke. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sox72 said:

This is the biggest “look at me” complete asshole thread. Why would mods not shut something like this down? Completely embarrassing. Let’s all make glorified personal gratification threads. They will proceed with no problem. What a fucking joke. 

Lol. Whoosh

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ron, I sincerely doubt threatening half the board is going to end up with the result you want...or that admins/moderators have the time and energy to sort it all out on a weekend.

Besides, If half the board was actually suspended, wouldn’t the whole point of the board...which is interacting with other Sox fans...be null and void?

It’s like bullying in middle or high school...if victims don’t care of it themselves and go to their parents or principal, it just brings further wrath down upon themselves, which is only exacerbated by this social media echo chamber age we live in.

• Thanks 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Ron, I sincerely doubt threatening half the board is going to end up with the result you want...or that admins/moderators have the time and energy to sort it all out on a weekend.

Besides, If half the board was actually suspended, wouldn’t the whole point of the board...which is interacting with other Sox fans...be null and void?

It’s like bullying in middle or high school...if victims don’t care of it themselves and go to their parents or principal, it just brings further wrath down upon themselves, which is only exacerbated by this social media echo chamber age we live in.

Watch it, you're next

• Haha 2

On 8/2/2019 at 3:03 PM, caulfield12 said:

The Brewers have Braun, Thames and Jesus Aguilar who serve basically the same purpose.

Corey Dickerson.

Domingo Santana.

Grandal’s ability to play first, catch and DH makes him even more valuable.

Doubt another trade with the Cubs happens for Schwarber, but he’s a solid change of scenery candidate.

Need someone like Ben Zobrist five years ago...not so easy to find in reality.

Jesus Aguilar got traded Wednesday, FYI.  

https://www.mlb.com/player/jesus-aguilar-542583

Edited by Jack Parkman