A fair and balanced soliloquy about Jose Abreu, by ron

ron883

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 09:42 PM)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Abreu_%28baseball%29

Is it official? i hate this nickname. I don't even understand how hawk came up with this one.

I don't think Wikipedia can be counted on to make anything "official." I've only ever heard Hawk call him that...so I would say no.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 09:42 PM)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Abreu_%28baseball%29

Is it official? i hate this nickname. I don't even understand how hawk came up with this one.

You don't understand how he came up with the name? What's not to understand? It is because the ball leaves the bat like it was shot out of a cannon. I thought it was pretty self explanatory.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 10:10 PM)
You don't understand how he came up with the name? What's not to understand? It is because the ball leaves the bat like it was shot out of a cannon. I thought it was pretty self explanatory.

Seriously....Not to mentions he's called Lexi "Missile" and Dayan "Tank" so it's only natural that he calls Jose "El Cañon".....What I don't understand is people NOT getting it. Hate it or not (I like it) it fits.....Do people really still think when Hawk pronounces it in spanish he's calling him a canyon???

Don't get the hate one bit.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 09:51 PM)
I've liked the transition to El Hombre better. Or Pito, which is the actual nickname that he has.

Maybe not the smartest play to start poaching nicknames from Albert Pujols? I know Pujols never loved the nickname El Hombre because of the connection to Stan Musual and preferred The Machine instead but people have been calling him that for over a decade now. Maybe Hawk wants it to be the new "pudge" for Latin American firstbasemen?

Personally, I love the nickname Yogi because, dammit, he looks like Yogi Bear and it fits his good-natured personality. But if the man wants to be called Pito, you call him Pito.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 06:35 AM)
Maybe not the smartest play to start poaching nicknames from Albert Pujols? I know Pujols never loved the nickname El Hombre because of the connection to Stan Musual and preferred The Machine instead but people have been calling him that for over a decade now. Maybe Hawk wants it to be the new "pudge" for Latin American firstbasemen?

Personally, I love the nickname Yogi because, dammit, he looks like Yogi Bear and it fits his good-natured personality. But if the man wants to be called Pito, you call him Pito.

From the spanish I know, Pito is either a whistle of some sort or a slang word for penis.

and I just looked it up, and in some South American countries I guess it means a joint. lol

Speaking of poaching nicknames, Reds fans call Aroldis Chapman "The Cuban Missile"

I thought I read somewhere that in the clubhouse (where it matters) his teammates were calling him "El Oso" as in "The Bear." I thought that was perfect. And then everyone can always say, "Sometimes you eat the bear, and, sometimes the bear, well, he eats you."

Edited by PorkChopExpress

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
I thought I read somewhere that in the clubhouse (where it matters) his teammates were calling him "El Oso" as in "The Bear." I thought that was perfect. And then everyone can always say, "Sometimes you eat the bear, and, well, sometimes the bear eats you."

Yogi Oso has a fun ring to it.....Even though it sounds Japanese.

• 1 year later...