A fair and balanced soliloquy about Jose Abreu, by ron

ron883

35 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I can buy that. I'm not against the Sox trying to pay the going rate for Jose. Is that 3/27? That'd be fine with me, too.

Why 3 years? The guy will be lucky to get 1y/12m. I know you love him Greg, but the truth is guys like him just aren't worth much. He's a dime a dozen type player. 

Edited by ron883

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Abreu really hasn’t held much trade value and it won’t get any better as he ages.  If you want to keep him around until Vaughn is ready, it makes more sense to only keep him around for as short term as he will agree to.  Why go 3 years if he would take 1-2 years?

Vaughn and Abreu could alternate between 1B and DH

Just now, elrockinMT said:

Abreu needs to stop playing 1st by next year. If he's a team player, he'll take the full time DH role. The guy is an absolute hack at 1st. It's a disservice to our pitchers that he even gets burn there anymore. 

3 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Abreu isn’t very good at 1B right now.  He’s not going to improve with age.  If both Vaughn and Abreu are ever on the same team, Abreu should be getting the Frank Thomas treatment.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

28 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Why 3 years? The guy will be lucky to get 1y/12m. I know you love him Greg, but the truth is guys like him just aren't worth much. He's a dime a dozen type player. 

35+ HRs & 100+ RBIs do not go for a dime a dozen.  Greg and I are talking 9 mil per.  That's not out of line.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

35+ HRs & 100+ RBIs do not go for a dime a dozen.  Greg and I are talking 9 mil per.  That's not out of line.

It looks like he will do it this year but Abreu has hit 35+ homers (36 to be exact) once in his career, in his rookie season.

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

That's just wrong. He's not a dime a dozen. He knocks in runs in bunches and hits for way better than average power. Why not 3 years? He's probably lying about his age so three years would be fine. Hopefully win it all in year 3 of his deal, then maybe sign him for pennies if he's still producing. Give him his 3 years 30 mill total.

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

That's just wrong. He's not a dime a dozen. He knocks in runs in bunches and hits for way better than average power. Why not 3 years? He's probably lying about his age so three years would be fine. Hopefully win it all in year 3 of his deal, then maybe sign him for pennies if he's still producing. Give him his 3 years 30 mill total.

I don't really get the bolded. If he's lying then why sign him for 3 years? 

Anyway, you don't sign him for 3 years because you don't need to. You can find guys like him in free agency all the time. Plus, we'll have plenty of hitters with Collins, Vaughn, Burger, Eloy, etc that will be the DH/1B

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

I don't really get the bolded. If he's lying then why sign him for 3 years? 

Anyway, you don't sign him for 3 years because you don't need to. You can find guys like him in free agency all the time. Plus, we'll have plenty of hitters with Collins, Vaughn, Burger, Eloy, etc that will be the DH/1B

Ok

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

You made it sound like he’s good for 35+ homers a year.  That isn’t really the case.  He’s done it once in his career and that was his rookie season.

Do you ever make a post of some thought you have about something.  It's seems all your post are trying to nitpick what you see as flaws in what others post.  Very annoying...and I imagine quite intentional.

I worry how much of a market there will be for him if the Sox want to trade. Not sure Boston, Houston, TB  or New York would jump at him.  Twins are running away so they may not give much. I think you have to hope an NL team that needs a bat will decide he is okay in the field to get by. 

8 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Do you ever make a post of some thought you have about something.  It's seems all your post are trying to nitpick what you see as flaws in what others post.  Very annoying...and I imagine quite intentional.

You said 35+ HR and 100+ RBI don't go for a dime a dozen. Abreu hasn't done that for a long time. Don't post incorrect things if you're going to get butthurt when you get called out for it.

10 minutes ago, poppysox said:

You were misrepresenting Abreu’s production while we are talking about for how long and for what kind of money the Sox should attempt to re-sign Abreu for, if they choose to.

It seems very much relative to the conversation so while I was not trying to be annoying, it was intentional.

11 minutes ago, ron883 said:

You said 35+ HR and 100+ RBI don't go for a dime a dozen. Abreu hasn't done that for a long time. Don't post incorrect things if you're going to get butthurt when you get called out for it.

What I said to Moan goes for you to.  You spend every post trying to nit pick.  Try having an original post.

• Haha 1

I don't think I've ever seen so much distaste for a player by a group of fans.  Let me rephrase that: I haven't seen this much distaste for a good player.  I think we can all agree that Jose is not great defensively, and he's not going to get better.  But he still hits the crap out baseballs.  He's averaged 30+ home runs and 100+ RBIs a year.  He's on pace to hit 35 HRs and drive in 110 runs.  He's leading the league in RBIs.  No one else on the team is on pace to provide as much offense.  And then there's the value he has as a leader on and off the field.

He's definitely worth keeping around for another year or two.  I think we've seen enough to know that we can't count on prospects to step in and do what he does.  Joes is a perfect guy to transition this team to where it could and should be over the next couple years.

Obviously there's no need to overpay.  But with his apparent desire to stay here, I don't see why the Sox shouldn't sign him for another 2 years, maybe $10M per.

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

It's called "trolling."

It's annoying.  Every topic gets dragged off subject because of 2 or 3 jerks who think they know it all.  There are dozens of positives surrounding this ballclub and that gets lost in these petty comments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can we cut the shit about Cubans lying about their age? The island is heavily scouted, especially with international play.

I know that as a KU basketball fan, @greg775 is used to sports teams lying about anything and everything to get an advantage, but this shit is old and isn't unique to Cuba. American athletes have lied about their ages.

• Like 1

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

I think we need to stop talking about Jose like he is Dunn or Alonso. He may not be a young great player, but he has plenty of value to give this organization on and off the field. You can do a lot worse than Jose Abreu at first or DH. 

Agreed, but try to bring him back for the least amount of years as possible.  Let’s not pay for his declining years.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Agreed, but try to bring him back for the least amount of years as possible.  Let’s not pay for his declining years.

That makes sense but Jose gave us a chance in our bad years, and deserves a shot to win a ring. I'd give him a three year deal and if he is playing bad, then so be it. Team chemistry and name recognition is still a thing that attracts talent. Especially when you lack national relevance like we do. 

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

I don't think I've ever seen so much distaste for a player by a group of fans.  Let me rephrase that: I haven't seen this much distaste for a good player.  I think we can all agree that Jose is not great defensively, and he's not going to get better.  But he still hits the crap out baseballs.  He's averaged 30+ home runs and 100+ RBIs a year.  He's on pace to hit 35 HRs and drive in 110 runs.  He's leading the league in RBIs.  No one else on the team is on pace to provide as much offense.  And then there's the value he has as a leader on and off the field.

He's definitely worth keeping around for another year or two.  I think we've seen enough to know that we can't count on prospects to step in and do what he does.  Joes is a perfect guy to transition this team to where it could and should be over the next couple years.

Obviously there's no need to overpay.  But with his apparent desire to stay here, I don't see why the Sox shouldn't sign him for another 2 years, maybe $10M per.

FWIW, I think Jose is extremely popular among Sox fans in general