A fair and balanced soliloquy about Jose Abreu, by ron

ron883

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Then dump him for whatever you can get for him. Maybe 3 prospects with the ceiling of a Jon Jay in his prime or a Todd Ritchie in his prime? He's old and no good and too expensive to sign. I am giving in. Takes too much energy to try to talk some sense into you folks. I'm OK with trading him now.

Ricky should drop him in the order until he finds himself.  This is Ricky's biggest weakness as a manager IMO.  He has no feel for changing the lineup or letting a guy sit for a few days when he looks lost.  How long do you watch Abreu chase out of zone crap or bat Alonso cleanup.  Just awful.

• Like 1

I am not for trading Abreu and really don't care about getting prospects. He is still a good presence in the lineup even with his current problems. But I don't think he will be a big part of the team's future. I don't think a long term deal is in order.

I just want to point out that Jose’s total WAR over 5.5 seasons is now 19.5.

Paul Konerko doesn’t have any 6 consecutive seasons where his WAR surpasses Jose’s current total. 

Also, the Red Sox only had 5 players above 2 WAR offensively during their 2018. I don’t know where this myth comes from that we need to have 3+ WAR players at every single position. 

It’s perfectly fine if Jose Abreu costs 9-10 million and delivers 2 WAR at DH. He doesn’t have to be the best player on this team anymore. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Like 2

Saw some chatter on Twitter about comparing Jose Abreu to Brett Favre. Idea is basically that although sometimes the numbers don't match the eye test, your gut tells you that you want to see him at the plate with the game on the line

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

Saw some chatter on Twitter about comparing Jose Abreu to Brett Favre. Idea is basically that although sometimes the numbers don't match the eye test, your gut tells you that you want to see him at the plate with the game on the line

When Jose is on a hot streak you definitely want him at the plate with the game on the line. When he is on his patented ice cold streaks, no chance

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I just want to point out that Jose’s total WAR over 5.5 seasons is now 19.5.

Paul Konerko doesn’t have any 6 consecutive seasons where his WAR surpasses Jose’s current total. 

Also, the Red Sox only had 5 players above 2 WAR offensively during their 2018. I don’t know where this myth comes from that we need to have 3+ WAR players at every single position. 

It’s perfectly fine if Jose Abreu costs 9-10 million and delivers 2 WAR at DH. He doesn’t have to be the best player on this team anymore. 

I agree.  In a game where hitters fail over 70% of the time it's hard to make fans happy.  Look at what McCann has done for half a season...he still has plenty of doubters.  In last nights game I was saying to myself that Eloy looked lost...one swing and I'm back on the Eloy train.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I agree.  In a game where hitters fail over 70% of the time it's hard to make fans happy.  Look at what McCann has done for half a season...he still has plenty of doubters.  In last nights game I was saying to myself that Eloy looked lost...one swing and I'm back on the Eloy train.

Exactly. There aren't many players who can or could survive 3 or 4 seasons with the same team on message boards. There's always somebody who allegedly is better. Take a good hard look at almost all players with the exception of a handful of the all stars and you'll see failure after failure in the eyes of fans. Very few can survive the advanced stat avalanche over the course of 4-5 seasons.

• 4 weeks later...

Will he be back, or is it time to find and upgrade at DH? He shouldn't play 1st base next year. He can barely move there now a days. He is an average DH statistically. Is it time to move on and look for a replacement?  He'll be another year older next year, and he is already deteriorating.

Edited by ron883

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Will he be back, or is it time to find and upgrade at DH? He shouldn't play 1st base next year. He can barely move there now a days. He is an average DH statistically. Is it time to move on and look for a replacement?  He'll be another year older next year, and he is already deteriorating.

LOL - ok.   

3 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Wouldn't be against a two year deal but it is not a priority. Definitely not more than 3 years as most first base type players don't age well. 

Overall I think there are bigger needs than him, especially a TOR starter and maybe a good OF

I would have thought a two year extension would have already happened if both parties like each other so much.  Makes me think something just might be happening on the trade front.

30 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I would have thought a two year extension would have already happened if both parties like each other so much.  Makes me think something just might be happening on the trade front.

This. The sad reality is the Sox have waaaaay too many hitters that profile as 1B/DH. There is no reason to block them. 

Front office if they bomb in free agency again will say we brought Abreu back......ugh. Team friendly 2 year deal max.........needs traded if he comes back fine, but 2019 is over.

Edited by Soxfest

5 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

I said yes... but I think Jose was getting excited about the direction the team was going.

But that could very well no longer be the case.

What could have happened in the last week that would make him (or anybody) no longer excited about the team's future? Did I miss something? 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

So the rebuild's doomed? No reason to be excited anymore because they lost a few games? 

Oh for fucks sake lol...

I'm not talking about fans opinion of the rebuild. 

We are talking about the mindset of Abreu.

Edited by harkness99

Just now, harkness99 said:

Oh for fucks sake lol...

I'm not talking about fans opinion of the rebuild. 

Ok... so in Jose Abreu's mind, there is no longer reason to be excited about the future of the rebuild because they lost a few games? Frame it any way you want, it still makes zero sense to me 

32 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Ok... so in Jose Abreu's mind, there is no longer reason to be excited about the future of the rebuild because they lost a few games? Frame it any way you want, it still makes zero sense to me 

Before the all star break they were looking like they were improving... might be more exciting to an old dude like jose - if he thinks they are on the brink.

Since the all star break it appears that maybe... things are still a ways off from being competitive.

It is what it is... but an older guy like Jose may start to have some doubts if he wants to wait for two more years.

Edited by harkness99
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

No, I do not think Jose Rondon will be back next year

Yes...Jose Abreu will be back

No...Jose Rondon will not be back

Maybe...Jose Valentin might be hired as the new roving Mustache instructor

Edited by wegner

Why is this thread even open? Isn't Jose being discussed all over the place on the board? Ron you wake up every day and think about getting rid of Jose every hour every day? Man you have Jose on the mind.

Glad to see the poll is runaway to keep Jose. Ron hates Jose more than I did Rios and a few other guys I can't remember now. I remember despising a few when we actually were contenders.