A fair and balanced soliloquy about Jose Abreu, by ron

ron883

12 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

It's always different for guys in their arb years and non-tendered. You never see those guys sign for more than what their about projected to get if they were tendered a contract and he and the team avoid arbitration by agreeing to a salary.

Fair enough I guess, but it also shows that the Rays weren't even willing to pay arb money to someone who had a better season than Abreu.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:55 AM, Jack Parkman said:

This. The sad reality is the Sox have waaaaay too many hitters that profile as 1B/DH. There is no reason to block them. 

Who do you trust to put up better numbers than Jose?? Or what 2 guys I should say.

If you say Eloy, that's creating another hole.

I think Jose stays another 2 years. 

19 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Fair enough I guess, but it also shows that the Rays weren't even willing to pay arb money to someone who had a better season than Abreu.

Yeah the Rays make a lot of great moves, but non-tendering Cron and also DFAing Dickerson (for that matter) were not good ones (though they did work out a trade and moved him). Granted, those were about cutting costs and finding similar/better production for cheap.

But back to Abreu, I think the most I'd offer is 1/$8 mill to DH most of the time. He can take it or leave it.

42 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

No reason to block them . . .  unless the guy blocking them is better than the people being blocked. That's how the idea of being blocked works.

No wait, he needs to be dumped; he has a bad wOBA or whatever it is. 

wOBA sounds like the name of a Star Wars character.  That’s the best I can do for ya!    😂

Meanwhile, back to Senor Abreu, what I’d like to know is who in our system are his current year projections of 35+ home runs, 35+ doubles, and 115+ RBIs blocking?  In other words, for whom should that offensive production step aside?

Edited by Fan O'Faust

1 hour ago, Fan O'Faust said:

wOBA sounds like the name of a Star Wars character.  That’s the best I can do for ya!    😂

Meanwhile, back to Senor Abreu, what I’d like to know is who in our system are his current year projections of 35+ home runs, 35+ doubles, and 115+ RBIs blocking?  In other words, for whom should that offensive production step aside?

Love your posts on this topic, Fan O'Faust. Abreu is one of my all time faves. Once the team gets buried I really don't care much about any player's stats the rest of the way. I'd like Abreu to keep hitting like first half Jose of course but in reality it means nothing. He's still a nice player. The team is what blows. Not Jose A.

He's done.  He'll be down to .2 fWAR after today and ZIPS ROS has absolutely bailed on him, they think his true talent is now a 105 wRC+ ROS.  That's a replacement level 1B/DH.  They might actually be too optimistic.

I posted it in the game thread the other night but look at this data:

agingslugger.png

He went from rocking fastballs to getting blown the fuck away by them.  In case anybody wondered Fangraphs has his average fastball velocity faced every year since his rookie year within .5 mph.  It's not like the league has gotten way better Jose has just gotten old, fast.

18 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's done.  He'll be down to .2 fWAR after today and ZIPS ROS has absolutely bailed on him, they think his true talent is now a 105 wRC+ ROS.  That's a replacement level 1B/DH.  They might actually be too optimistic.

I posted it in the game thread the other night but look at this data:

agingslugger.png

He went from rocking fastballs to getting blown the fuck away by them.  In case anybody wondered Fangraphs has his average fastball velocity faced every year since his rookie year within .5 mph.  It's not like the league has gotten way better Jose has just gotten old, fast.

small sample size since the all star break. For some reason I envision Oakland acquiring him. Didn't Semien and Phegley also rank low in advanced stat stuff? And they've been fine additions to the A's.

Edited by greg775

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

small sample size since the all star break. For some reason I envision Oakland acquiring him. Didn't Semien and Phegley also rank low in advanced stat stuff? And they've been fine additions to the A's.

😄 Somebody will take the bait, I know it

Edited by ron883

Since he wasn’t traded, I don’t see any reality where he is not back next year. If they don’t plan on re-signing him, then why not trade him for something-anything? They certainly aren’t in contention for anything this year where it would make sense to keep him for a stretch run and let him walk. 

I just can’t think of any logical reason he wouldn’t be traded if they had no intention on signing him for at least next year. Maybe the long play of keeping your reputation with respect to trades? You’d have to have faith in Hahn to think that way, and I’m not saying I don’t. But it seems a stretch. 

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Meh, JBJ isn't very good, I would have been sad if you said Mookie Betts. :lol:

Yea, it still rubs me the wrong way that they once again over played their hand with an aging veteran slugger.  Nobody wanted his bum ass this deadline.  They should have moved him anytime in the last three years and gotten an asset.  

Now they are in the horrible position of having to resign him to save face instead of just letting him walk like any GM and FO with pride and confidence would.

2 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

He looks like Jermaine Dye in 2009. I don‘t know who brought him up here first (you or me) but in the second half of the season he is hitting a robust. .178/.208/.233

I agree with you, German.  In the game thread today, I absolutely said that he reminds me of Dye that last half season and that makes me sad.  

19 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Who knows, maybe he will be like Nelson Cruz and all of a sudden find his prime in his mid 30s and continue it on. You never know.

Will Welington Castillo still be around to inject Abreu in the ass in the Sox locker room?

Edited by Moan4Yoan