Alcides Escobar Released

Bob Sacamano

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yeah, honestly I don’t put a ton of blame on the Sale/LaRoche/Eaton stuff aside from the players, and maybe the coaching staff. But in terms of player mistreatment, the Sox are pretty clean in that regard. 

And that only covers like half of the psychopaths on that team. 

22 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yeah, honestly I don’t put a ton of blame on the Sale/LaRoche/Eaton stuff aside from the players, and maybe the coaching staff. But in terms of player mistreatment, the Sox are pretty clean in that regard. 

Yeah, the sox are likely too accommodating if anything. 

Escobar can eat dirt. He's a trash player now.

• Like 1

Acquiring Escobar appeared weird from the start. He's awful but you'd think he could play utility for a contender since he's good glove. Nice tribute video there; he must be a good guy if they made that for him.

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, The only thing to hav some concern is Escobar has been in baseball for a long time. He knows a lot of players.  I do not have any clue who his friends are, but if the Sox want to sign one someday, and the money is essentially the same , they may use this to pick another team. 

You saying Escobar is gonna Scottie Pippen us?  

I was more interested when I misread the headline thinking it was Pablo getting released from jail. 

Hey kid, sign here, we'll give you this and that and this too . . .  Then stuff changes. Maybe if the team was winning. Maybe if X gets hurt, or not hurt. 

I'm wondering if they promised to trade him. 

17 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I was more interested when I misread the headline thinking it was Pablo getting released from jail. 

Hey kid, sign here, we'll give you this and that and this too . . .  Then stuff changes. Maybe if the team was winning. Maybe if X gets hurt, or not hurt. 

I'm wondering if they promised to trade him. 

That’s not so easy to pull off when he’s been buried in Medellin for 26 years...

Another possible explanation for this is that Ryan Goins getting an apparently permanent call-up is what led Escobar to believe he was lied to. May have been given the impression that if injuries created a need for a veteran IF to get called up, it would be him.

2 hours ago, Jake said:

Another possible explanation for this is that Ryan Goins getting an apparently permanent call-up is what led Escobar to believe he was lied to. May have been given the impression that if injuries created a need for a veteran IF to get called up, it would be him.

Bingo

https://amp.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article233524952.html

Despite his release, Escobar is tied for fifth in the International League in doubles (28), tied for fourth in RBIs (70) and was slashing .286/.343/.444 for the Knights.

Escobar perhaps was upset when the White Sox had a roster opening and recalled another former Royals infielder instead of Escobar.

Ryan Goins, who was released by the Royals earlier this season, was brought up from Charlotte on July 17. Goins is batting .271 with two homers, four doubles and nine walks in 16 games with the White Sox.

10 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Amazing how these players fall from glory in such a short time.  There must be more to him than his play since he was released by the Orioles.

He has been the subject of some allegations in the past from his now ex-wife (I don't think it was domestic violence but from what I remember, it certainly didn't make him come off in a positive light), but he also was just never good to begin with 

23 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Amazing how these players fall from glory in such a short time.  There must be more to him than his play since he was released by the Orioles.

He sucked even when he was 'good'. Whopping .615 OPS and .5 bWAR the year he was an all star and the Royals won the chip

Edited by mqr

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

https://amp.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article233524952.html

Despite his release, Escobar is tied for fifth in the International League in doubles (28), tied for fourth in RBIs (70) and was slashing .286/.343/.444 for the Knights.

Escobar perhaps was upset when the White Sox had a roster opening and recalled another former Royals infielder instead of Escobar.

Ryan Goins, who was released by the Royals earlier this season, was brought up from Charlotte on July 17. Goins is batting .271 with two homers, four doubles and nine walks in 16 games with the White Sox.

Goins is our fifth most valuable position player/hitter (by fWAR) out of 45 who have appeared (granted, most pitchers just had a few at-bats).