Sox @ Phillies 6:05 CDT NBCSN-CHI Nova vs. Vargas

Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

LMAO. Incoming Abreu gets hot after Ron bashes him again. 

Holy fuck dude we have to meet in person. We're literally having the same exact thoughts about both the Sox and Hawks. We'd probably make great pals. PM me sometime either on here or HF. 

• Like 1

The Phillies bottom of the 1st is the perfect example of what Saber geeks overlook.  Harper's given an intentional walk to load the bases, to setup exactly what the White Sox want. A double play grounder out of the next hitter. So this means the Phillies don't score. Harper's OBP goes up for doing nothing more then taking an intentional walk. Now before any saber geek says, "it wasn't Harper's fault that happened," it has to be said, who cares. The object of this game, boys and girls, is to score runs. Not just to get on base. Getting on base of course can lead to runs, but getting on base and not scoring runs is worthless. Which shows the flaw in how stats are looked at today, which is situational hitting, which is important to score runs, is now overlooked as important.  Because truthfully, if Harper had been pitched to, and he hit say a routine grounder to second which scored a run, that would have been a more productive at bat then taking that walk. Now, it certainly wasn't his fault he was intentionally walked, but he shouldn't get credit for anything either. But he does because it improved his OBP. Now before any Saber geek comes on here and lambasts me for saying anything against precious sabermetrics, I'll use this analogy. Sabermetrics are like the light bulb. Very important, useful, and maybe we wouldn't know what to do without it. But the purpose of the light bulb isn't meant to be shined right in someone's face full blast. Translation. Use it correctly and understand there's a time and a correct way to use  them. Sorry for the long rant, but I feel this needed to be said.