Fulmer to IL, Gascan (aka Covey) recalled from Charlotte

Jack Parkman

Another example of why pitchers should not be allowed to bat.  Hopefully the NL adopts the DH sooner rather than later.

I know, he could have gotten the same injury running to cover 1B on a grounder to Abreu (assuming he came up with it).  But this particular injury would not have happened if the DH was in place (like it is in every other level of baseball).

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

Another example of why pitchers should not be allowed to bat.  Hopefully the NL adopts the DH sooner rather than later.

I know, he could have gotten the same injury running to cover 1B on a grounder to Abreu (assuming he came up with it).  But this particular injury would not have happened if the DH was in place (like it is in every other level of baseball).

I watched Fulmer busting butt down the line hustling his butt off trying to beat it out and I was impressed with him. I thought that's what sports is all about. Great effort. This is even though financially it makes no sense for him to hustle and possibly (probably since he did) get hurt and according to many fans who want to lose and continue tanking certainly makes no sense trying to beat it out in a game we were so close to losing and helping our draft position. In conclusion I applaud Fulmer for caring when nobody would have blamed him for loafing down the basepaths and staying healthy for a team going nowhere.

His loafing could have been explained away that he's not used to running the basepaths and had trouble getting out of the box, etc. Kudos to Fulmer for trying to win when so many want the tank to cause L after L. TWTW really shows in a segment like that.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

How so

Fulmer should've never batted in the first place. Had an OF pitching and Fulmer's pitch count was high (hasn't had that many pitches in a while). I honestly thought Jay was going to bat in that situation and Osich was going to come in afterwards. He probably wanted to save Osich but we saw that didn't work.

I applaud Fulmer for busting his ass (he really wanted that hit) but as we saw with any pitcher, never a good idea. 

Edited by SoxAce
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Fulmer should've never batted in the first place. Had an OF pitching and Fulmer's pitch count was high (hasn't had that many pitches in a while). I honestly thought Jay was going to bat in that situation and Osich was going to come in afterwards. He probably wanted to save Osich but we saw that didn't work.

I applaud Fulmer for busting his ass (he really wanted that hit) but as we saw with any pitcher, never a good idea. 

IIRC they said that Jay was unavailable. 

5 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

If that's the case then my mistake. Both managers were equally horrible last night. I ripped Kapler for it repeatedly in the GT.

When Benetti showed the injury to Fulmer the following half inning he said that Jay was unavailable last night with an injury or something like that. It takes a special amount of buffoonery to equal one Ricky Renteria in ineptitude.  I still can't decide whether Renteria or Matheny is/was a worse manager. (I'm talking about solely in game strategy here) 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, The Sir said:

Why Covey? Without knowing anything about him, why not someone like Matt Foster? He's 24, right-handed, decent peripherals, never played in the bigs. Maybe he sucks, but we know Covey sucks.

Why Covey? Because Engel lent him his voodoo doll he used to get himself back to the majors. Lol. 

18 minutes ago, Baker said:

Fulmer should never have taken the bat off his shoulder. 

Probably considering an outfielder was pitching. He hit a cannon to third though that should have been in the corner for a double. Calling up Covey though really is a fireable offense by whomever did it.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bubba phillips said:

There was a time in baseball where pitchers were not made of glass.

This is exactly why I am struggling watching the White Sox since the all star break. Until last night they have had no life, unlike the first half. Then you see the line-up they put out and and sure doesn't make it must see for me. Yes, guys are hurt. But, call up the young guys. Sure they will struggle, but they will learn. Robert, Madrigal, Mendick, and Collins should be up. No need to see more of Jay, Sanchez, Engel, or Castillo. Thankfully somebody saw the light that Rondon and Reed have no reason to be here. There HAS to be another pitcher to call up and take a look at besides Covey. Assuming the goal in a couple of years is a WS, then let's see players who will be part of that, because Covey won't be. For crying out loud he was pulled a week ago after throwing 14 pitches, and was both the starter and not injured. That is unheard of!

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Velasquez certainly wasn’t in LF...or an aging Zach Greinke, who has an 883 ops in roughly 50 at bats this season.

I think Zack is going to miss batting.   The Yankees used Ron Guidry as a pinch runner.   I love the NL style of play.