8/3 Sox @ Phillies 6:05 CDT WGN Detwiler vs. Nola

Jack Parkman

19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Sorry for not being clear enough, I meant 70% of botched grounders are of the mental variety. 

Cite your sources here on your stats.  Reading the runner out of the box, reading the hop off the bat, deciding on the technique to get that hop on a routine play and picking the short or high bounding hop executing the catch is a repeatable mechanical thing.  Most botched grounders are probably in between hops, balls that either are snakes that come up on the lip of the grass, or a ball that is bounding and stays down after transition from grass to dirt.   A player not executing a technique is not a mental error.  If that was the case then all mistakes are mental errors.   Laziness and a lack of committing  to technique is not a mental error no matter how you want to quantify it. 

Edited by southsideirish71

3 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

RR has to be launched this winter

Even with Robert, Madrigal coming up and they can sign Cole, J.D. Martinez, Grandal  and even another arm in the off season and I still wouldn't take this team seriously with him at the helm.

Edited by SoxAce

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Even with Robert, Madrigal coming up and they can even sign Cole, J.D. Martinez and another arm in the off season and I still wouldn't take this team seriously with him at the helm.

Why not? I'm sure JDM is an excellent bunter.

16 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Cite your sources here on your stats.  Reading the runner in the box, reading the hop off the bat, deciding on the technique to get that hop on a routine play and picking the short or high bounding hop executing the catch is a repeatable mechanical thing.  Most botched grounders are probably in between hops, balls that either are snakes that come up on the lip of the grass, or a ball that is bounding and stays down after transition from grass to dirt.   A player not executing a technique is not a mental error.  If that was the case then all mistakes are mental errors.   Laziness and a lack of committing  to technique is not a mental error no matter how you want to quantify it. 

Most of them are botched because the fielder got lazy. If it was a bad hop like you described I'd rule those base hits. When the ball does weird things that's not on the fielder, that's bad luck. When those things happen the the majority of the time the fielder has no chance. 

In my mind all fielding errors are of the mental variety. If they weren't, they should be ruled base hits. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I agree with you all about Renteria. The two things he most controls, his decisions and the team's fundamentals - are both failing horribly. There's no basis for him to continue as manager of the White Sox. He doesn't deserve to keep his job.

• Like 3

Just now, Sarava said:

I agree with you all about Renteria. The two things he most controls, his decisions and the team's fundamentals - are both failing horribly. There's no basis for him to continue as manager of the White Sox. He doesn't deserve to keep his job.

But he will

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Even with Robert, Madrigal coming up and they can sign Cole, J.D. Martinez, Grandal  and even another arm in the off season and I still wouldn't take this team seriously with him at the helm.

I’m praying this second half collapse is the lever that forces change.  Even with more talent, Ricky will always be an obstacle we’ll have to overcome.

• Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Most of them are botched because the fielder got lazy. If it was a bad hop like you described I'd rule those base hits. When the ball does weird things that's not on the fielder. 

You threw out a 70% stat.  Where did you get this stat.  

If  a player comes in on a ball and the ball eats him up at the last hop and it goes off his glove.  You might not give him an error, but guess what the scorekeeper will.    

11 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

You threw out a 70% stat.  Where did you get this stat.  

If  a player comes in on a ball and the ball eats him up at the last hop and it goes off his glove.  You might not give him an error, but guess what the scorekeeper will.    

They shouldn't. The fielder never had a chance. That's just bad luck. 

A physical error is a bad throw or dropping the ball during a transfer.  A mental error is being lazy, or trying to make a low % play.  Anything else is just bad luck and should be awarded a base hit. 

Miscommunication between two OF is more of an error than a grounder that takes a weird hop off the grass. 

I didn't get that stat from anywhere. That is my personal opinion based on how I'd score the game if It were my job. Sorry for not being clear about that up front. I thought it was obvious from the context of the conversation that it was an opinion because it is impossible to track that scientifically. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hostetler >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ricky

I don't think Hostetler was great at his job, but I don't think he was awful either. I'd agree with this. Hostetler was much better at his job than Ricky was at his. My beef with Hostetler was that I disagree with his draft philosophy. The results were ok. 

Edited by Jack Parkman