8/3 Sox @ Phillies 6:05 CDT WGN Detwiler vs. Nola

Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They shouldn't. The fielder never had a chance. That's just bad luck. 

A physical error is a bad throw or dropping the ball during a transfer.  A mental error is being lazy, or trying to make a low % play.  Anything else is just bad luck and should be awarded a base hit. 

Miscommunication between two OF is more of an error than a grounder that takes a weird hop off the grass. 

No HS or college or professional coach would agree with your interpretation of this. Mental errors are not knowing what to do.  The facts of the game.  The physical execution of a play is just that.  Your technique a lot of times and your approach will determine the outcome of the play.  This is true especially on routine plays.  This is where you need to execute the technique you honed over thousands upon thousands of reps you have had to get you into this situation.   Mental errors are typically those where you don't know what is going on.  You execute the play however you make a bad decision.  Such as trying to throw out a unforced runner at 3rd with two outs, while a throw to first ends the inning.  A pitcher not covering first base on a ball hit to the right side.  And yes, two outfielders colliding because one ignores priority.  

21 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

No HS or college or professional coach would agree with your interpretation of this. Mental errors are not knowing what to do.  The facts of the game.  The physical execution of a play is just that.  Your technique a lot of times and your approach will determine the outcome of the play.  This is true especially on routine plays.  This is where you need to execute the technique you honed over thousands upon thousands of reps you have had to get you into this situation.   Mental errors are typically those where you don't know what is going on.  You execute the play however you make a bad decision.  Such as trying to throw out a unforced runner at 3rd with two outs, while a throw to first ends the inning.  A pitcher not covering first base on a ball hit to the right side.  And yes, two outfielders colliding because one ignores priority.  

All of the things you described are all mental errors. All are also a result of either being lazy or a general lack of focus. 

If you have the athletic ability to make the play you should make it. Very binary. 

Not going to argue this anymore. This is my opinion. It might be unorthodox, but it is how I would approach it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

30 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Like?

Batting Jay cleanup, the positioning of the infield, bunting with runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and down by two on the road, not having a left hand pitcher warming up for a lefty batter..........

59 minutes ago, chisoxt said:

Eloys future as an offensive player is bright but he has to be better at situational hitting. It can’t always be home run or nothing...needs to think opposite field more

I agree with you in theory. But I think his whole approach will always be home run or nothing. I mean the stat people can't have it both ways. It's been stressed that's a smart way to hit now by the experts. Try to hit a home run every at bat and strikeouts aren't that bad. That's baseball right now and maybe for a long time to come. In the old days it was OK to hit gappers and it was OK for instance to have the leadoff man get on and the second hitter of the game hit and run him to third. Now no running and u better develop a swing that accounts for many homers.

Cheers.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, Tomtom said:

The Philly broadcasters have been criticizing a ton of White Sox decisions throughout the game!

To be fair to RR, they are probably homers who always criticize the opponent but never the Phils strategy. I'm guessing that's the case. That's why I loved Hawk and Stone. Hawk would rip the Sox for dumb decisions too. Most announcing crews only criticize the opponent. The Royals do that all the time regarding the Sox. Denny Matthews the Hall of Famer will mock the Sox; never mock the Royals.

2 hours ago, Tomtom said:

Batting Jay cleanup, the positioning of the infield, bunting with runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and down by two on the road, not having a left hand pitcher warming up for a lefty batter..........

It was weird, they were acting like they wanted to walk the weak hitting back up catcher (Knaack or whatever his name is) to get to the pitcher's spot...were calling for an intentional walk, and forgot that Realmuto was on the bench and would be hitting with the bases loaded.   So then after deciding NOT to walk him, they still accidentally walked him anyway.  Fry has to have been pissed that their signals got crossed.

10 hours ago, Tomtom said:

All not incorrect comments I guess...

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

I agree with you in theory. But I think his whole approach will always be home run or nothing. I mean the stat people can't have it both ways. It's been stressed that's a smart way to hit now by the experts. Try to hit a home run every at bat and strikeouts aren't that bad. That's baseball right now and maybe for a long time to come. In the old days it was OK to hit gappers and it was OK for instance to have the leadoff man get on and the second hitter of the game hit and run him to third. Now no running and u better develop a swing that accounts for many homers.

Cheers.

Cant wait for Madrigal to defy the odds.