Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jack Parkman

8/3 Sox @ Phillies 6:05 CDT WGN Detwiler vs. Nola

Recommended Posts

Ricky maybe letting the 15 inning game yesterday cloud his thinking. Getting dangerous asking Detwiler to give you another limited damaged inning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stoney and Jason do a nice job; this joking about the hot dog cannon and pizza cannon vs chili cannon is OK humor. I don't mind it since Stoney is obviously close to Jason. Can you imagine Hawk? Though I like Hawk a lot still he'd be very unreceptive to talking about such drivel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

That error was pure laziness and technique.  It's a forehand push through on the run.  You get the mitt down.  His mitt wasn't down far enough. 

Errors from being lazy are still mental errors. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

He raised his stock a bunch by playing really well in AA, and became a dark horse favorite among people who follow prospects (in part due to the Collins hate IMO). However, he has not played well at AAA or the majors at this point. He's shown some pop in the past though, and was supposed to be a bit better receiver than Collins but not a defense first catcher by any means.

Thanks gusguyman. Very interesting. Thanks for filling me in. I did not check his college stats; I assume he was a stud though; that's a good baseball school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ScooterMcGee said:

No i don't agree. Did you watch the last half of 2018? He was fantastic. The talent is there. Just needs to pull his head out the butt

Timmy makes errors on the more simple plays.  He needs to work on not taking plays off and fundamentals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Ricky maybe letting the 15 inning game yesterday cloud his thinking. Getting dangerous asking Detwiler to give you another limited damaged inning.

15 inning games are precisely why you let the next starter go as long as they can 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

Timmy makes errors on the more simple plays.  He needs to work on not taking plays off and fundamentals.

Yeah I guess I don’t see this amazing range. It’s not like he’s making a lot of errors throwing it into the stands after a great diving play. As a matter of fact, he dives for balls probably less than any other SS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yeah I guess I don’t see this amazing range. It’s not like he’s making a lot of errors throwing it into the stands after a great diving play. As a matter of fact, he dives for balls probably less than any other SS.

Yes, because he's in position to make the damn play. 

Same thing with Moncada at 2B last year and at 3B this year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think he just needs to focus more. He's having mental errors not physical ones. Physical errors lead to MI becoming OF. Mental errors can be corrected. 

Anderson and Moncada make a lot of errors because they both have insane range for their position. It looks worse than it actually is because they get to balls the average SS/3B wouldn't even touch. 

I tend to give guys like Timmy and Abreu a break on defense cause of the focus you suggest. Don't forget. We have a lousy slow working pitching staff which doesn't help the infielders any. And we have a gawd-awful team, which I pointed out recently could be part of the reason Jose and others sometimes look pathetic at the plate, giving away at bats so to speak in this homerun, strikeout or nothing era. I do think Timmy is an elite offensive and defensive SS of the future and do concede Jose is below average defensively focus or not. I do also note that I've seen worse defenders than Jose.

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Errors from being lazy are mental errors. 

No mental errors are not knowing where to go with the ball, how many outs there are, what base to cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ScooterMcGee said:

No i don't agree. Did you watch the last half of 2018? He was fantastic. The talent is there. Just needs to pull his head out the butt

Yes I did watch last year.  He still had a ton of errors last year and this year as well. It's my opinion and I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if he proves it. My question,  if he continues to make defensive mistakes when would you consider a move is necessary? I understand it's not going to happen this year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up 2-0 in the count and swings at the knuckle curve. It really seems they’re the easiest team to ever pitch against.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

No mental errors are not knowing where to go with the ball, how many outs there are, what base to cover.

Being lazy in the field is just lack of focus. Still a mental issue that manifests itself in a physical error. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

No mental errors are not knowing where to go with the ball, how many outs there are, what base to cover.

Those are also mental errors. Being lazy in the field is just lack of focus on your job, which is 100% mental. 

A physical error is not being able to get to a ball or throwing the ball wildly when you have to rush it to get an out, or just being plain bad. 

Being lazy in the field is a mental error leading to a physical one. The root cause is still the same. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I tend to give guys like Timmy and Abreu a break on defense cause of the focus you suggest. Don't forget. We have a lousy slow working pitching staff which doesn't help the infielders any. And we have a gawd-awful team, which I pointed out recently could be part of the reason Jose and others sometimes look pathetic at the plate. I do think Timmy is an elite offensive and defensive SS of the future and do concede Jose is below average defensively focus or not. I do also note that I've seen worse defenders than Jose.

This post is very inaccurate 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fathom said:

This post is very inaccurate 

It was not one of my best. To summize: Timmy (good defender according to greg); Abreu below average.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

Yes I did watch last year.  He still had a ton of errors last year and this year as well. It's my opinion and I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if he proves it. My question,  if he continues to make defensive mistakes when would you consider a move is necessary? I understand it's not going to happen this year.  

When this team is in the hunt for the division title and he's still making a lot of boneheaded mistakes. Then consider it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Gotta give some props to Detwiler, he is pitching as well as anyone could realistically hope

Right! Definitely giving the Sox exactly what they needed tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Gotta give some props to Detwiler, he is pitching as well as anyone could realistically hope

Pitched his ass off. Ricky played with fire a bit that inning but got away with it. Great outing by him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I am pretty surprised by the early pull. Ross was getting shaky there, but I figured he would be eating this game anyway. Ricky again managing with urgency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Errors from being lazy are still mental errors. 

No one in or around baseball call errors like these mental errors.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×