Pitchers Batting Is Stupid 8/4 Sox @ Phillies Gamethread

Tnetennba

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

You mean besides the ridiculous amount of errors and one of the worst fWAR defensive ratings for shortstops

I don't disagree about the errors, but you know as well as I do that this is a flawed way to look at things, having a competent 1B would help for instance.

Even if he ranks among the bottom of the league, he still grades out as slightly below average, what other shortstops are doing is irreleavant.

2 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I don't disagree about the errors, but you know as well as I do that this is a flawed way to look at things, having a competent 1B would help for instance.

Even if he ranks among the bottom of the league, he still grades out as slightly below average, what other shortstops are doing is irreleavant.

He’s 31st out of 36 SS with over 200 at bats this year defensively. That’s just not good

8 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Because the calculation of UZR isn't dependant on other players. The baseline of 0 means average.

No, the baseline of 0 UZR means they save/cost about 0 runs. I assume you are referring to the fangraphs explainer that says a quick short hand is 0 is average, but that's not on purpose, that's just how it worked out at the time. However, this isn't true anymore at shortstop, a premium defensive position, where the average is around 5.

Edited by gusguyman

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

IF he can learn to lay off the bad pitches. He's a really good mistake hitter but his approach to getting mistakes is not good  yet.

Next year. I truly believe he will make Yoan like jump

• Like 1