And That's a White Sox Winner !!

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Did everyone forget how to do a winners thread ? Wins these days are too few and far between but at least the Sox made the Phillies look worse than we do.

Grannie for Leury, 3 run HR for Eloy and solo shot for Timmy accounted for 8 of the 10 runs.

Lopez didn't have great stuff today but still is much better than in the 1st half. Gotta call this a good rebuild game.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I stopped watching the games in order to preserve some sanity so appreciate the recap.   Box makes Lopez look like he battled but was wild as usual, how'd he look for anybody watching?

The 6th innning is kinda misleading. He walked Harper, but got 2 groundballs that should have been fielded and gotten him out of the inning. Realmuto hit a double play ball, but Tim  went towards 2B an instance before the pitch and couldn't readjust. The other one was ABreu being a statue again, as he couldn't field a grounder two steps to his right, despite playing behind the runnter at 1B. Third hit was just a run of the mill grounder up the middle.

With a bit more luck or better defense, Lopez gives up one run.

Nice win, watched the highlights. Eloy and Timmy go deep along with Leury's grand slam. Nice job Lopez.

Now quit reading if you hate me or are easily offended.

I have to call it like I see it. Listen to the home run calls on the 3 homers. Stoney's only color is to IMMEDIATELY tell the viewer how many homers and RBIs the hitter now has. Hmmm. ... shouldn't you advanced stat people flood the network with emails and tweets telling Stoney to get with it and quit announcing RBIs for gosh sakes. And by gosh, quit giving pitchers' records. Quit talking about that during the intro to the game. Those categories mean nothing and need to quit being mentioned.

49 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

The 6th innning is kinda misleading. He walked Harper, but got 2 groundballs that should have been fielded and gotten him out of the inning. Realmuto hit a double play ball, but Tim  went towards 2B an instance before the pitch and couldn't readjust. The other one was ABreu being a statue again, as he couldn't field a grounder two steps to his right, despite playing behind the runnter at 1B. Third hit was just a run of the mill grounder up the middle.

jesus.  It's one thing when you're holding a guy on...I've said it a thousand times the team is going to be a lot more watchable without a guy that is negative 10 runs a year at 1B.  

@greg775 I call it like I see it as well: you're the biggest troll on this board.  

Edited by chitownsportsfan

27 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

jesus.  It's one thing when you're holding a guy on...I've said it a thousand times the team is going to be a lot more watchable without a guy that is negative 10 runs a year at 1B.  

@greg775 I call it like I see it as well: you're the biggest troll on this board.  

B.S. I'm not trolling anybody. I'm giving opinions, You might hate my political opinions as well if we were allowed to post them any more. Some people on this board will never accept the fact there are people with DIFFERERING OPINIONS. Guess what. I love Jose  had a friend in town today from Chicago and he wasn;'t shocked by any of my Sox points. And he said everybody he knows likes Abreu. He is a HUGE Sox fan BTW.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Greg is probably right. The average baseball fan watches because they enjoy the sport. Many do not have the time to delve into advanced stats nor the desire. Put a winning product on the field and let the idiots in charge build the team using advanced stats. What we do here arguing endlessly abut stats is just giving our opinions which in the end doesn't improve the product or entertain the average fan. It's the Chicago White Sox and Chicago wants a winner like the fans of any team .

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, greg775 said:

B.S. I'm not trolling anybody. I'm giving opinions, You might hate my political opinions as well if we were allowed to post them any more. Some people on this board will never accept the fact there are people with DIFFERERING OPINIONS. Guess what. I love Jose  had a friend in town today from Chicago and he wasn;'t shocked by any of my Sox points. And he said everybody he knows likes Abreu. He is a HUGE Sox fan BTW.

bringing up a "Steve Stone uses traditional stats suck it haters" aside in a post gamer is the def of trolling.  

30 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Greg is probably right. The average baseball fan watches because they enjoy the sport. Many do not have the time to delve into advanced stats nor the desire. Put a winning product on the field and let the idiots in charge build the team using advanced stats. What we do here arguing endlessly abut stats is just giving our opinions which in the end doesn't improve the product or entertain the average fan. It's the Chicago White Sox and Chicago wants a winner like the fans of any team .

Well if you're arguing stats you're really not arguing your opinion you're arguing someone else's opinion.  

29 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

bringing up a "Steve Stone uses traditional stats suck it haters" aside in a post gamer is the def of trolling.  

Look I'm allowed to fight back once in a while. It's not trolling it's being pxxxxd off. I noticed what Stone said after each of the three home runs and they were citing stats most of you deem inconsequential.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Nice win, watched the highlights. Eloy and Timmy go deep along with Leury's grand slam. Nice job Lopez.

I have to call it like I see it. Listen to the home run calls on the 3 homers. Stoney's only color is to IMMEDIATELY tell the viewer how many homers and RBIs the hitter now has. Hmmm. ... shouldn't you advanced stat people flood the network with emails and tweets telling Stoney to get with it and quit announcing RBIs for gosh sakes. And by gosh, quit giving pitchers' records. Quit talking about that during the intro to the game. Those categories mean nothing and need to quit being mentioned.

Pitcher wins is one of the dumbest stats in sports. deGrom and Gio records last year is proof of it.

Nice to see Eloy and Timmy going deep. Theyve both made good contact all series just hitting it right to the D or needs a great play by a pitcher in LF. Hopefully the hits for them can start piling on.

Edited by YoYoIsMyHero

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Did everyone forget how to do a winners thread ? Wins these days are too few and far between but at least the Sox made the Phillies look worse than we do.

Grannie for Leury, 3 run HR for Eloy and solo shot for Timmy accounted for 8 of the 10 runs.

Lopez didn't have great stuff today but still is much better than in the 1st half. Gotta call this a good rebuild game.

Eloy has come up and shown he will hit 30+ HR every year

Moncada's having a GREAT year

Anderson's year at the plate has been much better than anyone could've expected

Robert's a tear on the farm

Madrigal's been very good since April

Giolito's been wonderful

Lopez has had 4-5 consecutive good or better starts

and yet people are upset with the year, like they expected a pennant. I agree with you. Wins are a bonus!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Pitcher wins is one of the dumbest stats in sports. deGrom and Gio records last year is proof of it.

And yet 300 wins is a staple to get into the Hall of Fame. Good luck setting new standards for Hall admission now that wins don't matter at all.

5 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Our pitchers will feel a lot more comfortable without a statue at 1st base. I feel bad for our young pitchers having to deal with this awful defense.

51 minutes ago, greg775 said:

And yet 300 wins is a staple to get into the Hall of Fame. Good luck setting new standards for Hall admission now that wins don't matter at all.

Guess you're gonna be the one to tell Harold to return his plaque since he doesn't have 3,000 hits?

12 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Eloy has come up and shown he will hit 30+ HR every year

Moncada's having a GREAT year

Anderson's year at the plate has been much better than anyone could've expected

Robert's a tear on the farm

Madrigal's been very good since April

Giolito's been wonderful

Lopez has had 4-5 consecutive good or better starts

and yet people are upset with the year, like they expected a pennant. I agree with you. Wins are a bonus!

Anderson should be at a higher level than 1.6 fWAR, with the biggest cause for concern net negative defensive ratings despite that obvious ability he’s flashed. 

Hopefully a new defender at 1B along the lines of a Brandon Belt will help.

Moncada has to prove he can stay healthy now that he has proven he can produce...same with Eloy on health and on the defensive side, because just 30 homers alone are not going to amount to much without making other contributions.  It seems as if every player in the Minnesota lineup can hit 25-35 homers.

Edited by caulfield12

16 hours ago, greg775 said:

This is such a terrible take it has to be trolling.  Announcers are not going to talk about the impact a home run has on the player's WAR or wRC+.  The advanced stats are for looking at a player's value based on history and potential future impact.  As many on this board have said to you many times, advanced stats do mean something, especially to the decision makers.  Just because they don't make sense to you doesn't mean they don't mean anything.

14 hours ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Nice to see Eloy and Timmy going deep. Theyve both made good contact all series just hitting it right to the D or needs a great play by a pitcher in LF. Hopefully the hits for them can start piling on.

I disagree.  There have been 20 game winners on average and below average teams.   When a certain guy is on the mound that brings team confidence.  There are also great pitchers always around the .500 mark and stay that way even going to a much better team.  Q hasn't really lit up the NL like I thought he would.  It shouldn't be the decisive factor for the CY but the top 3 in determining.

49 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

This site has really regressed in civility.   An opinion that is considered stupid to some is trolling. 

It is never healthy when you encounter people who want to make points at another's expense.

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

This site has really regressed in civility.   An opinion that is considered stupid to some is trolling. 

It's a microcosm of society. You seen the anger out there? If a person like greg disagrees so much he must be trolling. ... Wrong. He simply disagrees. Parents are now teaching that their kids are right in their opinion no matter what so outlier opinions like mine are not welcome. They are despised.

My point was ignored. That Stone immediately goes to conventional stats, wins/losses for pitchers and ERA; HRs, RBI and yes batting average for hitters. Most broadcasts squeeze in OBP in the graphic but never talk about it. If advanced stats were so important why aren't they being integrated into the broadcasts; can't ignore something if it's vital to baseball.

Now in the front offices? Yes they are dying to acquire all the advanced stats. Shifts ... they know exactly where the batter will hit the ball. And the ruination of baseball to me? The knowledge that all a hitter needs to worry about are HRs or strikeouts. You must hit a HR or strikeout. Other stuff is bad. No need to hit and run or steal bases, not worth the risk. You notice McCann was raking when he was going to all fields. Now he's struggling. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

It's a microcosm of society. You seen the anger out there? If a person like greg disagrees so much he must be trolling. ... Wrong. He simply disagrees. Parents are now teaching that their kids are right in their opinion no matter what so outlier opinions like mine are not welcome. They are despised.

My point was ignored. That Stone immediately goes to conventional stats, wins/losses for pitchers and ERA; HRs, RBI and yes batting average for hitters. Most broadcasts squeeze in OBP in the graphic but never talk about it. If advanced stats were so important why aren't they being integrated into the broadcasts; can't ignore something if it's vital to baseball.

Now in the front offices? Yes they are dying to acquire all the advanced stats. Shifts ... they know exactly where the batter will hit the ball. And the ruination of baseball to me? The knowledge that all a hitter needs to worry about are HRs or strikeouts. You must hit a HR or strikeout. Other stuff is bad. No need to hit and run or steal bases, not worth the risk. You notice McCann was raking when he was going to all fields. Now he's struggling. 

Greg you are a class act when it comes to the abuse you take here.  If you left some people here could not deal with the void of harassing you.

• Thanks 1