8/5 | Sox @ Tigers | Gio vs Turnbull | 6:10PM CT

Tnetennba

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Getting a good look at Goins isn't a bad idea.  He's looked reasonably good.  Might be a cheaper and better version of Sanchez for next year.

Yea somebody has to take his place.  Just can’t take any more Sanchez.  It’s painful to watch his antics

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

Yea somebody has to take his place.  Just can’t take any more Sanchez.  It’s painful to watch his antics

Just for the record...I was a big fan of Sanchez.  This year his play has gotten worse and his salary is getting up there for a backup.  Just like Jose...Hahn has to watch the money paid to both players.  They are not cheap for what they contribute.  Might need to test free agency then signup at a discount in both cases.

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Just for the record...I was a big fan of Sanchez.  This year his play has gotten worse and his salary is getting up there for a backup.  Just like Jose...Hahn has to watch the money paid to both players.  They are not cheap for what they contribute.  Might need to test free agency then signup at a discount in both cases.

Jose and Yolmer were both favorites of mine when they were actually contributing.  Now both are overpaid and barely above replacement level.  Sox can do better next year.

24 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Getting a good look at Goins isn't a bad idea.  He's looked reasonably good.  Might be a cheaper and better version of Sanchez for next year.

18 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I don't think we need either of them. Assuming Eloy in LF, Robert in CF, and a FA in RF, I don't see the point. Just keep Leury as the super sub

30 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't think we need either of them. Assuming Eloy in LF, Robert in CF, and a FA in RF, I don't see the point. Just keep Leury as the super sub

There is guaranteed to be at least a 4-man bench next year. Having a guy who can play infield, a guy who can play outfield, and a guy who can play all over isn't the worst. Especially when guys like Eloy and Yoan are proving to be fragile and probably good for at least one or two IL stints a year.

Edited by soxfan2014

28 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

There is guaranteed to be at least a 4-man bench next year. Having a guy who can play infield, a guy who can play outfield, and a guy who can play all over isn't the worst. Especially when guys like Eloy and Yoan are proving to be fragile and probably good for at least one or two IL stints a year.

If we can find that left hand right fielder...Garcia is an ideal backup.  Until we find that player Garcia is probably the everyday right fielder.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Right, I should clarify. I'd go

C- McCann/FA

OF/UTIL- Garcia

IF- Literally anyone who isn't Yolmer and is cheaper... Mendick? 

1B/C/DH- Collins

Edited by Jose Abreu

11 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Right, I should clarify. They usually open with a 3 man bench but I agree that it should be 4. I'd go

C- McCann/FA

OF/UTIL- Garcia

IF- Literally anyone who isn't Yolmer and is cheaper... Mendick? 

1B/C/DH- Collin

Next year, it has to be a 4 man bench by rule. 26 man roster, 13 pitcher max. I feel like people often forget that and the minimum batters faced for relievers next year. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Mentioned that in another GT a few games back. Seems ideal.

56 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Just saw the new rule.

Edited by pcq
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mqr said:

Next year, it has to be a 4 man bench by rule. 26 man roster, 13 pitcher max. I feel like people often forget that and the minimum batters faced for relievers next year. 

Thanks, I remembered the reliever thing but forgot it was going to 26. Edited my post 

2 hours ago, wegner said:

If you would have told me in April that Jon Jay would be hitting cleanup for this team in August I would have said.... "yep, I thought they might suck again this year"

Although he has zero power, he IS batting over .300.  Better than the .180 hitting stiffs that Renteria had batting 4th for most of the year.

13 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

Although he has zero power, he IS batting over .300.  Better than the .180 hitting stiffs that Renteria had batting 4th for most of the year.

True, would much rather have him in there than Alonso. But he still has no business batting cleanup, kind of like Jose doesn't really have any business batting 3rd, but who else you gonna put there?

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

So does anyone else thing a good goal for Giolito is getting his ERA back under 3.00 by the end of the season? Do you think he can do it? It's at 3.39 entering tonight. 

Those Cubs games really messed his ERA up.  I think he'll end in the high 2's.