Lineup Optimization

Boopa1219

13 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Who ever is the best run producer should bat fourth because over the course of a 162 game season, on average the cleanup hitter gets the most plate appearances with someone in scoring position. 

Great stuff you dug out. I looked through some of the articles but the one that does the real in-depth on batting order was from 2009 w 2002 data. There is a lot more shifting now. As we agree and so did the article OBP is the key at the top. I saw one conclusion that each team based on their lineup needs to maximize data since it is not cookie-cutter. For example, JD Martinez led MLB in RBI's last year and got a higher % from the #3 spot than the  #4. He is again this year. He is on a team w good hitters in front of him.  Manny Machado also got a higher RBI % from the 3 than the 4 last year. But for most of the season he was on a shitty team. Yelich got a higher % from the 2 than the 3. So I think each player and the make-up of the rest of the lineup is subjective. I realize some managers also play lefty/righty. Regardless the articles do point out the importance of the #2  spot compared to previous opinions on the best type 2 hitter. 

13 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Great stuff you dug out. I looked through some of the articles but the one that does the real in-depth on batting order was from 2009 w 2002 data. There is a lot more shifting now. As we agree and so did the article OBP is the key at the top. I saw one conclusion that each team based on their lineup needs to maximize data since it is not cookie-cutter. For example, JD Martinez led MLB in RBI's last year and got a higher % from the #3 spot than the  #4. He is again this year. He is on a team w good hitters in front of him.  Manny Machado also got a higher RBI % from the 3 than the 4 last year. But for most of the season he was on a shitty team. Yelich got a higher % from the 2 than the 3. So I think each player and the make-up of the rest of the lineup is subjective. I realize some managers also play lefty/righty. Regardless the articles do point out the importance of the #2  spot compared to previous opinions on the best type 2 hitter. 

Just curious - are you able to make a post without referencing the Red Sox or one of its players?  Its gotta be over 80% of your posts.  Yawn.