SoxTalk fan pulse: How far away are the Sox from competing?

Jack Parkman

How far away are the Sox from competing for a WC spot?   

90 members have voted

1. 1. How far away are the Sox?

• 2020- The injuries make 2019 look worse than it is, and with the right moves in the offseason they might even compete for the division
    • 2021-Injury recovery and more player development need to happen at the MLB level. 2020 is a year too early
    • 2022 or later- What? This team? Compete? Nah!
    • It's all Uncle Jerry's Fault-They'll never get over .500 until they get new ownership

With Robert up and Kopech back, that's two holes filled.  Madrigal could very well be up next year, and that would be a third filled.  They would still need to add at least one more starter, hopefully a difference maker, and a right fielder/DH.

They could and certainly should be ready to compete in 2020, but a few moves would be needed to make it more likely.

3 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

With Robert up and Kopech back, that's two holes filled.  Madrigal could very well be up next year, and that would be a third filled.  They would still need to add at least one more starter, hopefully a difference maker, and a right fielder/DH.

They could and certainly should be ready to compete in 2020, but a few moves would be needed to make it more likely.

Madrigal is going to be up next year. Probably pretty quickly. I don't think AAA is going to challenge him more than AA did. 

I see no reason why this team can’t compete in 2020 IF (and perhaps a big IF), they add at least one front end SP, a RF, another solid bat to either play 1B/C/DH and a veteran pensman or two. 

Most will say that is a lot to ask, but I am looking at a team with a sub $50M payroll next season and I think that figure will be at a minimum doubled come Opening Day. 

• Haha 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I see no reason why this team can’t compete in 2020 IF (and perhaps a big IF), they add at least one front end SP, a RF, another solid bat to either play 1B/C/DH and a veteran pensman or two. 

Most will say that is a lot to ask, but I am looking at a team with a sub $50M payroll next season and I think that figure will be at a minimum doubled come Opening Day. 

I'm not even sure it has to be a front end starter, you just need a bunch of insulation from having to turn to someone like Covey and Detwiler. Certainly would be preferable though. 

• Like 1

If competing just means over .500 then next year is likely.  If it means competing for playoffs, then 2021.  I think there is a lot of assumptions being made that are not sure things, particularly starting pitching being competitive.  Kopech only has a few MLB starts, nothing for sure says he will be definitively effective in general (not even taking into account that he is coming back from a year off with injury).

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I'm not even sure it has to be a front end starter, you just need a bunch of insulation from having to turn to someone like Covey and Detwiler. Certainly would be preferable though. 

I guess depends on how you define front-end SP and "competing".  To truly compete for the division, I think this team needs to add one of Cole, Strasburg, Wheeler, Ryu, or Bumgarner.  I think this team could be over .500 and be pretty interesting adding a pitcher from the next tier - Keuchel, Wood, Odorizzi, Gibson, and Pineda. Personally, I'd like to see the Sox sign one of each and take it slow on Kopech.  

We'll see, but ultimately I think this team is much closer to competing than they currently appear.  Staying healthy next season will be important, obviously.  

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I guess depends on how you define front-end SP and "competing".  To truly compete for the division, I think this team needs to add one of Cole, Strasburg, Wheeler, Ryu, or Bumgarner.  I think this team could be over .500 and be pretty interesting adding a pitcher from the next tier - Keuchel, Wood, Odorizzi, Gibson, and Pineda. Personally, I'd like to see the Sox sign one of each and take it slow on Kopech.  

We'll see, but ultimately I think this team is much closer to competing than they currently appear.  Staying healthy next season will be important, obviously.  

Cole and Strasburg are the only ones I'd be comfortable calling front end, I don't totally trust the other three for some reason or another. So, yeah I guess we're more or less on the same page. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mqr said:

Cole and Strasburg are the only ones I'd be comfortable calling front end, I don't totally trust the other three for some reason or another. So, yeah I guess we're more or less on the same page. 

I would agree that Cole and Strasburg are a step above the other top end guys, with Cole obviously the best FA SP.  

The Sox are on pace for around 180 homers this season. The average AL playoff team will hit 240+. So if they’re sticking with the same ball, start there.

2021 makes much more sense to compete than 2020. Maybe they have a good season next year and finish .500, but they won’t make the playoffs next year.

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

The Sox are on pace for around 180 homers this season. The average AL playoff team will hit 240+. So if they’re sticking with the same ball, start there.

2021 makes much more sense to compete than 2020. Maybe they have a good season next year and finish .500, but they won’t make the playoffs next year.

No reason not to shoot for it now though. 

The Royals and Tigers should still suck and need to be feasted on next year so I expect them to be in the playoff hunt.  Need to spend $$ in the offseason though and get some quality MLB arms in here and someone to play RF.