Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jack Parkman

SoxTalk fan pulse: How far away are the Sox from competing?

How far away are the Sox from competing for a WC spot?   

90 members have voted

  1. 1. How far away are the Sox?

    • 2020- The injuries make 2019 look worse than it is, and with the right moves in the offseason they might even compete for the division
      45
    • 2021-Injury recovery and more player development need to happen at the MLB level. 2020 is a year too early
      37
    • 2022 or later- What? This team? Compete? Nah!
      3
    • It's all Uncle Jerry's Fault-They'll never get over .500 until they get new ownership
      5


Recommended Posts

In this case, I'm talking about the WC play-in game not the division. 

What say you? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2019  season would have been a lot better if Kopech and Rodon had been healthy. Hopefully both will be able to pitch successfully in 2020. That being said, I still wish that JR would sell the team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One could argue that the division may be easier to win than a wild card spot.  Almost sure one of Yankees- Red Sox will have one wild card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing competitive baseball is anything over .500 imo. I think they be around there with a chance to really explode. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Robert up and Kopech back, that's two holes filled.  Madrigal could very well be up next year, and that would be a third filled.  They would still need to add at least one more starter, hopefully a difference maker, and a right fielder/DH.

They could and certainly should be ready to compete in 2020, but a few moves would be needed to make it more likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

With Robert up and Kopech back, that's two holes filled.  Madrigal could very well be up next year, and that would be a third filled.  They would still need to add at least one more starter, hopefully a difference maker, and a right fielder/DH.

They could and certainly should be ready to compete in 2020, but a few moves would be needed to make it more likely.

Madrigal is going to be up next year. Probably pretty quickly. I don't think AAA is going to challenge him more than AA did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see no reason why this team can’t compete in 2020 IF (and perhaps a big IF), they add at least one front end SP, a RF, another solid bat to either play 1B/C/DH and a veteran pensman or two. 

Most will say that is a lot to ask, but I am looking at a team with a sub $50M payroll next season and I think that figure will be at a minimum doubled come Opening Day. 

  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I see no reason why this team can’t compete in 2020 IF (and perhaps a big IF), they add at least one front end SP, a RF, another solid bat to either play 1B/C/DH and a veteran pensman or two. 

 Most will say that is a lot to ask, but I am looking at a team with a sub $50M payroll next season and I think that figure will be at a minimum doubled come Opening Day. 

I'm not even sure it has to be a front end starter, you just need a bunch of insulation from having to turn to someone like Covey and Detwiler. Certainly would be preferable though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If competing just means over .500 then next year is likely.  If it means competing for playoffs, then 2021.  I think there is a lot of assumptions being made that are not sure things, particularly starting pitching being competitive.  Kopech only has a few MLB starts, nothing for sure says he will be definitively effective in general (not even taking into account that he is coming back from a year off with injury).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mqr said:

I'm not even sure it has to be a front end starter, you just need a bunch of insulation from having to turn to someone like Covey and Detwiler. Certainly would be preferable though. 

I guess depends on how you define front-end SP and "competing".  To truly compete for the division, I think this team needs to add one of Cole, Strasburg, Wheeler, Ryu, or Bumgarner.  I think this team could be over .500 and be pretty interesting adding a pitcher from the next tier - Keuchel, Wood, Odorizzi, Gibson, and Pineda. Personally, I'd like to see the Sox sign one of each and take it slow on Kopech.  

We'll see, but ultimately I think this team is much closer to competing than they currently appear.  Staying healthy next season will be important, obviously.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I guess depends on how you define front-end SP and "competing".  To truly compete for the division, I think this team needs to add one of Cole, Strasburg, Wheeler, Ryu, or Bumgarner.  I think this team could be over .500 and be pretty interesting adding a pitcher from the next tier - Keuchel, Wood, Odorizzi, Gibson, and Pineda. Personally, I'd like to see the Sox sign one of each and take it slow on Kopech.  

 We'll see, but ultimately I think this team is much closer to competing than they currently appear.  Staying healthy next season will be important, obviously.  

Cole and Strasburg are the only ones I'd be comfortable calling front end, I don't totally trust the other three for some reason or another. So, yeah I guess we're more or less on the same page. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mqr said:

Cole and Strasburg are the only ones I'd be comfortable calling front end, I don't totally trust the other three for some reason or another. So, yeah I guess we're more or less on the same page. 

I would agree that Cole and Strasburg are a step above the other top end guys, with Cole obviously the best FA SP.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

How soon is now?

By The Smiths

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sox are on pace for around 180 homers this season. The average AL playoff team will hit 240+. So if they’re sticking with the same ball, start there.

2021 makes much more sense to compete than 2020. Maybe they have a good season next year and finish .500, but they won’t make the playoffs next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, flavum said:

The Sox are on pace for around 180 homers this season. The average AL playoff team will hit 240+. So if they’re sticking with the same ball, start there.

2021 makes much more sense to compete than 2020. Maybe they have a good season next year and finish .500, but they won’t make the playoffs next year.

No reason not to shoot for it now though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mqr said:

No reason not to shoot for it now though. 

Agreed, the roster should look a lot more competitive next year. Let’s start with watchable in 2020, then win 90+ in 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flavum said:

Agreed, the roster should look a lot more competitive next year. Let’s start with watchable in 2020, then win 90+ in 2021.

They've been pretty watchable this year aside from that 2 week stretch post-ASB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not til the new owners take over I hate to say. We're not competing during the proposed window of this current tank/rebuild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that next year will bring a decent season, but they won't get final pieces until 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Royals and Tigers should still suck and need to be feasted on next year so I expect them to be in the playoff hunt.  Need to spend $$ in the offseason though and get some quality MLB arms in here and someone to play RF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team should make the necessary upgrades, plus adding guys like Kopech, Madrigal and Robert.

This team should be at least .500 in 2020. Don't know what a playoff number of wins would be. Sometimes 86 is enough, sometimes 90 isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×