FS: Mid-Season Top 30 Prospects FULL LIST

Rankin

For jumping so many levels and performing pretty well and also seeing how many here want to see him get a shot at DH it's odd perhaps not to see Yermin Mercedes on the top 30 nor the just missed lists.

I do understand he doesn't profile well at catcher and might be strictly a DH and is on the old side but is he not still a prospect since he is in the system and can be of some use to the Sox if he can hit at the highest level ?

I guess he has become something of a cult figure as the Yerminator.

22 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

For jumping so many levels and performing pretty well and also seeing how many here want to see him get a shot at DH it's odd perhaps not to see Yermin Mercedes on the top 30 nor the just missed lists.

I do understand he doesn't profile well at catcher and might be strictly a DH and is on the old side but is he not still a prospect since he is in the system and can be of some use to the Sox if he can hit at the highest level ?

I guess he has become something of a cult figure as the Yerminator.

He could be put on the list. None of us decided to rank a 26-year-old definite DH though. 

• Thanks 1

7 legit prospects in my opinion...ending in Collins at #7. 

Not saying no one else can or will hit as good players, but as far as a decent bet to help the team in a significant role in the next 2 years, that’s about it. Really not a whole lot of wiggle room when you think about our roster. And also makes it hard to make trades. 

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Not saying no one else can or will hit as good players, but as far as a decent bet to help the team in a significant role in the next 2 years, that’s about it. Really not a whole lot of wiggle room when you think about our roster. And also makes it hard to make trades. 

I don’t necessarily disagree, but Sheets has been phenomenal since mid May and could easily be in the DH mix at sometime next year.  And I wouldn’t be that surprised if at least one of the AA outfielders (likely Basabe) has a strong rebound in 2020 and quickly becomes a potential option.

3 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Well sure if you look at them as finished products with no room to improve. Guess its the old prospects are suspects until they change your mind. There's all of next year to see who climbs the ladder.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And I wouldn’t be that surprised if at least one of the AA outfielders (likely Basabe) has a strong rebound in 2020 and quickly becomes a potential option.

What are your thoughts on L. Gonzalez? I know you’re low on Rutherford because of his terrible BB and K rates, and although Gonzalez has struggled, hasn’t he maintained similar BB and K rates to what he put up last year?  I know his power numbers are down, but for his first year in Birmingham, I don’t think he’s having as bad of a season as people think. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What are your thoughts on L. Gonzalez? I know you’re low on Rutherford because of his terrible BB and K rates, and although Gonzalez has struggled, hasn’t he maintained similar BB and K rates to what he put up last year?  I know his power numbers are down, but for his first year in Birmingham, I don’t think he’s having as bad of a season as people think. 

The BB & K rates have been fine all season and he’s been legit good his last 20 games, so I remain cautiously optimistic with him.  The biggest concern with him is age as he’s almost 24 years old, so he’s really got to figure his shit next year in AAA.

On 8/9/2019 at 2:15 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He could be put on the list. None of us decided to rank a 26-year-old definite DH though. 

Of course I understand . But there are arguments to be made that he has never been to the big leagues before and DH is a legit position in the AL and has been for many many years. You guys are always saying development isn't linear and Yermin proves that. I don't think those things should be held against him.

The Sox have a major hole at DH . Imagine him coming up and actually doing well for 5+ years. Despite being 26 does he still not have a floor and ceiling ? He is certainly a lot closer to helping the Sox and more realistically being called up then some in the top 30 will ever be. When doing ranking isn't that a consideration ? Don't you provide these rankings to help the average fan know who may help the Sox in the future ? He is a key name in that regard.

I'm not saying you are wrong I greatly appreciate the service you provide but guys like Yermin deserve a spot . In my eyes it's a disservice to the fans to leave him off the list. More than just the diehard fans should be aware of who he is and your rankings would help that. He has done everything he can despite limitations to be a factor  while guys with many skills fail all the time. I think he should be applauded not ignored.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Of course I understand . But there are arguments to be made that he has never been to the big leagues before and DH is a legit position in the AL and has been for many many years. You guys are always saying development isn't linear and Yermin proves that. I don't think those things should be held against him.

The Sox have a major hole at DH . Imagine him coming up and actually doing well for 5+ years. Despite being 26 does he still not have a floor and ceiling ? He is certainly a lot closer to helping the Sox and more realistically being called up then some in the top 30 will ever be. When doing ranking isn't that a consideration ? Don't you provide these rankings to help the average fan know who may help the Sox in the future ? He is a key name in that regard.

I'm not saying you are wrong I greatly appreciate the service you provide but guys like Yermin deserve a spot . In my eyes it's a disservice to the fans to leave him off the list. More than just the diehard fans should be aware of who he is and your rankings would help that. He has done everything he can despite limitations to be a factor  while guys with many skills fail all the time. I think he should be applauded not ignored.

People said the same thing about Nicky Delmonico and he had a better glove than Mercedes.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

People said the same thing about Nicky Delmonico and he had a better glove than Mercedes.

What exactly are the same things they said about Delmonico that even applies to Mercedes  ? Did Delmonico jump 3 levels in 1 season ? Did Delmonico tear the cover off the ball in AA and  AAA in the same season ? Was Delmonico never in the Sox top 30 prospects ? Were the same things people said after or before he was called up and had good games with the Sox ? It was reasonable to think the Sox found something when Delmonico was 24 and put up some decent numbers with the Sox just as it was reasonable to expect more from Palka this year. Both however crapped the bed thereafter,  I just don't see any parallel between Mercedes and Delmonico. All I thought, and I completely understand why it didn't happen, was Mercedes could've been in the top 30 because he does have some hitting upside. Just a DH like a Nelson Cruz type can be very valuable.  No big deal .

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Are you guys releasing individual rankings or doing a round table like you’ve done in the past?

Our writers who took part in the rankings have released their individual lists through FutureSox' Patreon page. If you're interested in becoming a member if not already, you may sign up here: https://www.patreon.com/join/FutureSox.

Appreciate your continued support! 

4 minutes ago, Rankin said:

Our writers who took part in the rankings have released their individual lists through FutureSox' Patreon page. If you're interested in becoming a member if not already, you may sign up here: https://www.patreon.com/join/FutureSox.

Appreciate your continued support! 

Ok, done!  Now how do I access this article?

48 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What exactly are the same things they said about Delmonico that even applies to Mercedes  ? Did Delmonico jump 3 levels in 1 season ? Did Delmonico tear the cover off the ball in AA and  AAA in the same season ? Was Delmonico never in the Sox top 30 prospects ? Were the same things people said after or before he was called up and had good games with the Sox ? It was reasonable to think the Sox found something when Delmonico was 24 and put up some decent numbers with the Sox just as it was reasonable to expect more from Palka this year. Both however crapped the bed thereafter,  I just don't see any parallel between Mercedes and Delmonico. All I thought, and I completely understand why it didn't happen, was Mercedes could've been in the top 30 because he does have some hitting upside. Just a DH like a Nelson Cruz type can be very valuable.  No big deal .

Well, in 2016 Delmonico tore the cover off the ball and everyone was clamoring for him.

When the rankings came out, it was the same conversation - he should be ranked even though he's just a DH.

Mercedes hasn't been age appropriate until he finally hit AAA. He has no glove. He's hit the shit out of the ball this year. But there's a reason he's not on the Top 30 and saying it's a disservice to Sox fans, even if you understand why, is a backhand to FutureSox. 

I'll gladly eat crow if he's ever called up and rakes, but with no glove he's going to have to provide more value than all of the OFs that could make it (pushing Eloy to DH), Collins, Vaughn, and Sheets. And that's what pushes him off the list.

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He’s a DH and it’s looking like he won’t even hit the majors until next year at age 27, if ever.  Last offseason, we were excited about the possibility of signing two free agents who were 26 years old.  I agree that it’s tough to call Yermin a prospect at this point.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Well, in 2016 Delmonico tore the cover off the ball and everyone was clamoring for him.

When the rankings came out, it was the same conversation - he should be ranked even though he's just a DH.

Mercedes hasn't been age appropriate until he finally hit AAA. He has no glove. He's hit the shit out of the ball this year. But there's a reason he's not on the Top 30 and saying it's a disservice to Sox fans, even if you understand why, is a backhand to FutureSox. 

I'll gladly eat crow if he's ever called up and rakes, but with no glove he's going to have to provide more value than all of the OFs that could make it (pushing Eloy to DH), Collins, Vaughn, and Sheets. And that's what pushes him off the list.

in 2016 Delmonico hit great in AA and faltered in AAA. But it's cool,many don't think he belongs in the top 30. I do . So be it. I am not doing a disservice to futuresox ,not even close. They are the experts and I am sure they value input. Frank Thomas was not a good 1st baseman, Edgar Martinez, David Ortiz are among many great names who played almost exclusively DH, Ortiz didn't make a name for himself until he joined the Red Sox at 27, Edgar Martinez had close to 250 career AB's before he got a real chance at age 27.

My old English teacher said you write for you own satisfaction but you also write for the reader. The readers are Sox fans who want to know more about the happenings on the farm and who we can reasonably expect to  have a chance to help the team in the future. Mercedes has a better chance to help the team than many on the list since he is so close to a call up. They do their jobs in listing the players they think have the best chance to be good players from every level of the minors. They also do feature articles on many players and podcasts. Maybe I just think the ones closest to the majors deserve special attention and that is not the job of those who rank prospects.  The readers want to know the most significant names for the neat future. Only the most ardent fan gets excited about DSL guys. They are just too far away.

Outside of Collins and Mendick, Yermin is the name I most see mentioned around here from AAA and Yermin is outproducing them both by a long shot. He can't turn back the clock and become younger, he can not become a great fielder but he can continue to hit and that could be enough.