FS: Mid-Season Top 30 Prospects FULL LIST

Rankin

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

He’s a DH and it’s looking like he won’t even hit the majors until next year at age 27, if ever.  Last offseason, we were excited about the possibility of signing two free agents who were 26 years old.  I agree that it’s tough to call Yermin a prospect at this point.

Tough yes, impossible ? No.That's all I'm really saying.

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

in 2016 Delmonico hit great in AA and faltered in AAA. But it's cool,many don't think he belongs in the top 30. I do . So be it. I am not doing a disservice to futuresox ,not even close. They are the experts and I am sure they value input. Frank Thomas was not a good 1st baseman, Edgar Martinez, David Ortiz are among many great names who played almost exclusively DH, Ortiz didn't make a name for himself until he joined the Red Sox at 27, Edgar Martinez had close to 250 career AB's before he got a real chance at age 27.

My old English teacher said you write for you own satisfaction but you also write for the reader. The readers are Sox fans who want to know more about the happenings on the farm and who we can reasonably expect to  have a chance to help the team in the future. Mercedes has a better chance to help the team than many on the list since he is so close to a call up. They do their jobs in listing the players they think have the best chance to be good players from every level of the minors. They also do feature articles on many players and podcasts. Maybe I just think the ones closest to the majors deserve special attention and that is not the job of those who rank prospects.  The readers want to know the most significant names for the neat future. Only the most ardent fan gets excited about DSL guys. They are just too far away.

Outside of Collins and Mendick, Yermin is the name I most see mentioned around here from AAA and Yermin is outproducing them both by a long shot. He can't turn back the clock and become younger, he can not become a great fielder but he can continue to hit and that could be enough.

People mostly just want to see Yermin because they are sick of seeing at bats wasted on the likes of career minor leaguers like Goins (31) and Skole (30).  I doubt anyone would be surprised to see Yermin fail miserably in the majors like Palka or Reed, never to be seen again.  But we already know guys like Goins and Skole are just wasting at bats and have no future with the Sox so we may as well give Yermin a shot at DH.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

7 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

People mostly just want to see Yermin because they are sick of seeing at bats wasted on the likes of career minor leaguers like Goins (31) and Skole (30).  I doubt anyone would be surprised to see Yermin fail miserably in the majors like Palka or Reed, never to be seen again.  But we already know guys like Goins and Skole are just wasting at bats and have no future with the Sox so we may as well give Yermin a shot at DH.

That nearly 1.000 OPS might have something to do with it. Of course we would expect him to fail miserably .Which White Sox prospect among the top ones has come up and instantly been good ? Let's at least acknowledge he has been a cosistently good hitter in his minor league career and especially good this year .

On 8/12/2019 at 6:55 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That nearly 1.000 OPS might have something to do with it. Of course we would expect him to fail miserably .Which White Sox prospect among the top ones has come up and instantly been good ? Let's at least acknowledge he has been a cosistently good hitter in his minor league career and especially good this year .

He has, but he is also getting older (27 in February).  So pretend you are the Sox...  name one reason you wouldn’t have Yermin up right now?  What are they thinking?

Great compilation.  Reading thru there's a few peeps on here that just make you scratch your head.  I'll give the guy I'm most excited about (starting after #3)...

Most Excited about.

1. Andrew Vaughn.  Just a sick bat. Will be around for a long long time.

2. Madrigal. Ready to see what he can do at the next level.

3. Adolfo.  I'm still a huge Micker fan. If this guy could just stay healthy.

Most Disappointed with.

1. Blake Rutherford. He's a complete enigma. Still young tho. If could be included in a package for a decent SP I'd do it in a heartbeat.

2.  Alec Hansen. Thought we stole one in him. I know the injury bug and all...but still.

3. Burger. Again with the injury bug...but just not good for a pick that high.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 6:55 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This

It wouldn't surprise me if they release Mercedes after this season.

On 9/3/2019 at 6:03 AM, oldsox said:

They won't release him.  All they have to do is not offer him a spot on the 40 man, and then someone will pick him up.

Would still surprise me. The Sox desperately want a success story. No one of all the scrubs they have picked up has even given an inkling that they belong on an MLB team . Even if it's a DH he deserves as much of a chance as all the other guys they has given playing time to.

The problem is the rebuild is nearing being a somewhat finished product and if they plan on spending and filling the DH role or putting Abreu at DH  then he won't get a chance.