Game Thread 8/7/19 - Sox @ Detroit

No clue why Anderson was breaking back to 2nd when there were two outs in the inning already.

He got away with it, but those are the typical "baseball fundamentals" issues we have to clean up if we want to take a step forward.

DJ and Farmer were saying the coaching staff definitely needs to step in after the road trip and "go back to basics" with drills/instruction before games, way too many sloppy plays out there that shouldn't be hapepning.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

No clue why Anderson was breaking back to 2nd when there were two outs in the inning already.

He got away with it, but those are the typical "baseball fundamentals" issues we have to clean up if we want to take a step forward.

DJ and Farmer were saying the coaching staff definitely needs to step in after the road trip and "go back to basics" with drills/instruction before games, way too many sloppy plays out there that shouldn't be hapepning.

lol, that shit doesn't work at the MLB level.  It's not about "knowing" it's about playing loose and with confidence but also being mentally sharp.  It's a mental thing at this level and Ricky does not have a clue how to get his guys to perform at a high mental level on a daily basis.  The Sox need to get away from babysitter style managers.  It's not working.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

lol, that shit doesn't work at the MLB level.  It's not about "knowing" it's about playing loose and with confidence but also being mentally sharp.  It's a mental thing at this level and Ricky does not have a clue how to get his guys to perform at a high mental level on a daily basis.  The Sox need to get away from babysitter style managers.  It's not working.

So then we're left with Girardi (if he's not the new Cubs' manager), Scioscia or someone like Jeff Bannister...who was very effective with the Rangers when they had enough talent to work with.

Vizquel and Thome are respected, but maybe not feared...Jirschele is so young still, and it would be ballsy to put a manager at that age behind the cockpit of a playoff-contending team, but we've definitely seen it recently in the NFL, which is 10X more difficult than MLB.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

So then we're left with Girardi (if he's not the new Cubs' manager), Scioscia or someone like Jeff Bannister...who was very effective with the Rangers when they had enough talent to work with.

I've been on the Girardi train since he was let go in NY 2 years ago.  He'd be the perfect fit.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That's always the strangest feeling on the West Coast when you're visiting and games are starting at 9 or 10 a.m., something like the British Open or Wimbledon would be even crazier, or English Premier League football.

You have to wake up at 6AM here to catch some early starts in the European leagues, it's brutal.  There's just something about sports that don't go well with the ass crack of dawn.   CFB starts at 9AM here and that's bad too.  You want to be able to enjoy your morning, laze around, then turn on the game imo.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You have to wake up at 6AM here to catch some early starts in the European leagues, it's brutal.  There's just something about sports that don't go well with the ass crack of dawn.   CFB starts at 9AM here and that's bad too.  You want to be able to enjoy your morning, laze around, then turn on the game imo.

I'm so used to it in China...especially with most important sports being on Sundays, you're waking up at like 2-3 a.m. to watch Tiger Woods at Augusta, and then you have all the day games, where there's exactly 12-13 hours' time difference, so the night games in the US are usually when I'm arriving at school.

Summer vacation is almost over (my annual US trip)...no more Hostess powdered donuts and steak sandwiches for lunch, or Taco Bell, or Dr. Pepper.  The hardest is not having a car or drive throughs (although everything in the world can be delivered quickly and inexpensively at least).  Then you go back to the shock of a place where girls get ridiculed for weighing over 125-130 pounds, while the the average Iowan is 30-45 pounds overweight. 

3 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

A Bomb by Cordell

Did Benetti or Stone go on about his "five tool talent" again?  If he could just put it all together....words all Sox fans have heard a bazillion times about position prospects since and early 2000's.

When we end up with a pick around 8, 9 or 10, we can blame the Tigers or Indians.   Abreu probably owes 1/4th of his annual salary to the Detroit Tigers organization, or at least their pitching staffs since 2014.

Doyle Alexander might be more effective out there than this dude.

Edited by caulfield12

35 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm moving out to the PNW in the next month or so. Going to be an adjustment for sure. 

1 minute ago, joejoedairy said:

I'm moving out to the PNW in the next month or so. Going to be an adjustment for sure. 

Overall I prefer it for sports viewing but for soccer and college football it can be worse.  NFL Sundays are great the "late" game starts at 5 and you can get to bed at a decent hour after watching FB all day.

NBA is also perfect the games usually start at 4-5 then the late games are on at 7pm.

You'll like it out here the weather is probably the best in the country outside of SoCal and if you get the blues in winter the beaches of SD or Mexico are a $300 flight away.  I usually try and get somewhere south for a week in February and I'm good.  Springs can be a bit trying with the marine layers but it also keeps it nice and pleasant for most of summer. 

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Overall I prefer it for sports viewing but for soccer and college football it can be worse.  NFL Sundays are great the "late" game starts at 5 and you can get to bed at a decent hour after watching FB all day.

NBA is also perfect the games usually start at 4-5 then the late games are on at 7pm.

You'll like it out here the weather is probably the best in the country outside of SoCal and if you get the blues in winter the beaches of SD or Mexico are a $300 flight away.  I usually try and get somewhere south for a week in February and I'm good.  Springs can be a bit trying with the marine layers but it also keeps it nice and pleasant for most of summer. 

I'm jealous that playoff games would start around 5pm out by you. Hate the baseball the snail paced, longer commercial break games that go about 4 hours and all you want to do is go to sleep for work the next day.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm jealous that playoff games would start around 5pm out by you. Hate the baseball the snail paced, longer commercial break games that go about 4 hours and all you want to do is go to sleep for work the next day.

Yea 7 is way too late the way the games go now.

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic