Game Thread 8/7/19 - Sox @ Detroit

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think 6 pm games would be great. Even during the regular season. I noticed the Indians have done that this year. Or 6:10. I know I would go to more weeknight games if that were the case.

The mariners have been doing more 6pm starts here and they did a session on it recently with the local sports radio station and a lot of parents really liked it.  It limits the walkup you'd probably get from a bored after work crowd as people are just getting home around 6pm here,  but for parents I can see it being a big deal getting the kids home and in bed by 10 instead of 11 or later.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

That's always the strangest feeling on the West Coast when you're visiting and games are starting at 9 or 10 a.m., something like the British Open or Wimbledon would be even crazier, or English Premier League football.

I love it.  

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Picking up Ivan Nova was a solid move. There. I said it. 

At 1 fWAR, he's certainly been worth his contract.  It wasn't pretty early, but you can do worse as a backend starter on a rebuilding team. 

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yup. We were all too quick to bash him. 

Ahem.  I've been saying it was a good signing since he was pitching in march and the velocity was there. You can do a lot worse than Nova as your 5th starter in a rebuild year.  And next year bringing him back as the 6th guy and swing man makes a lot of sense.   

His stats coming into this year suggested he could be a passable 5th starter and that's basically what he's been.  If Hahn can do more work like this the Sox won't have to rely on shitty AAAA guys the next few years when injuries inevitably crop up again.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He isn't touching anything up in the zone.

Holes all around. Still can’t believe how bad he looks.  Especially considering the juiced balls, he’s really looked bad this year.

Edited by fathom

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Ahem.  I've been saying it was a good signing since he was pitching in march and the velocity was there. You can do a lot worse than Nova as your 5th starter in a rebuild year.  And next year bringing him back as the 6th guy and swing man makes a lot of sense.   

His stats coming into this year suggested he could be a passable 5th starter and that's basically what he's been.  If Hahn can do more work like this the Sox won't have to rely on shitty AAAA guys the next few years when injuries inevitably crop up again.

2 out of 4 on dumpster dives is a workable rate. Not counting Alonso or Jay.

18 minutes ago, mqr said:

Picking up Ivan Nova was a solid move. There. I said it. 

As other said he's a decent #5. The problem was when Rodon got hurt and with Lopez struggling in the first half, he suddenly became our #2 which meant out SP was a disaster outside of Gio.

26 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The mariners have been doing more 6pm starts here and they did a session on it recently with the local sports radio station and a lot of parents really liked it.  It limits the walkup you'd probably get from a bored after work crowd as people are just getting home around 6pm here,  but for parents I can see it being a big deal getting the kids home and in bed by 10 instead of 11 or later.

Being in the eastern time zone, I would love this. Games usually start at 8 over here so its hard for me to watch the sox most games past the 4th innin, having to get up at 4:30 for work. If they started at 6 central i could watch a lot more.

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic