Game Thread 8/7/19 - Sox @ Detroit

57 minutes ago, Capital G said:

I think I would be OK with Goins replacing Yolmer as our sub. Him and L. Garcia give us some flexibility.

I'd also take Abreu back if we cant/don't sign someone better to DH. I just want him off 1st base and he needs to be OK with it.

Goins is 31 and has a career .618 OPS. If somehow the Sox think he is a bench piece moving forward, he'll be the favorite to be the first player next year we will be calling to be DFAd.

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Goins is 31 and has a career .618 OPS. If somehow the Sox think he is a bench piece moving forward, he'll be the favorite to be the first player next year we will be calling to be DFAd.

Leury should be the first man off the bench at just about any position, but I wouldn't hate having goins around if multiple subs are needed on a given day. Yolmer is too expensive for what he gives. 

Edited by mqr

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

Leury should be the first man off the bench at just about any position, but I wouldn't hate having goins around if multiple subs are needed on a given day. Yolmer is too expensive for what he gives. 

You will mind having him around as soon as he reverts to Ryan Goins at the plate. And he isn't exactly stellar all over the infield. I think they can do better.

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You will mind having him around as soon as he reverts to Ryan Goins at the plate. And he isn't exactly stellar all over the infield. I think they can do better.

They have much bigger fish to fry, and if a guy who can play average shortstop is who you end up giving 3 at bats a week too, I'm not going to cry about it. Leury should play damn near everyday though. 

Edited by mqr

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

For the $1.25M or whatever paltry sum he’ll require, it’s really no biggie. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

For the $1.25M or whatever paltry sum he’ll require, it’s really no biggie. 

They also have to carry an extra guy after several years of three man benches. A 26th man who's mostly a bum is probably going to be extremely common league wide. 

Edited by mqr

2 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I think it's hilarious that people are pissed at the sox and Jerry for not spending money but would rather have Goins here than Yolmer primarily because dude is cheaper. Cmon now. We've seen Goins for what a couple weeks? 

They both suck. If were picking between two guys who suck I'll take the cheap one. The optimal thing to do would be find someone else. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

They both suck. If were picking between two guys who suck I'll take the cheap one. The optimal thing to do would be find someone else. 

So you want the guy who is worse offensively and defensively because it will save $ 3 million? Do you really think that savings would improve a higher end free agent or trade target choice. There will be plenty of options. I don't want either to come back. But injuries happen. They need someone who can be reasonably expected to fill in for a week or two and not be a black hole.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony said:

You asked for a solution to stop getting so mad when people rip "on the player you worship" 

I gave you a solution to no longer read said comments, and interact with Sox fans at a different place. 

Now you seem upset again? Maybe this place isn't the problem, sir. 

I feel like it's very very weird I'm the bad guy on this issue (Jose) when I'd think logic would make me the good guy since there's really no reason at all to be criticizing Jose Abreu right now. Like I said, it's silly at best; the movie Major League parody working overtime here. Yet in a bizarre world I sense a strong segment in the anti Jose group. Personally if I had power here instead of trying to not get banned again, I'd be telling some people to lay off Jose until he's actually worthy of deep criticism. I'd call it player bashing; others may disagree. 

It's just kind of sad a guy can go 3 for 5 and knock in two runs and score two runs and the best he can muster from his own fans is "yeah but ...." Oh well, just my opinion. I wonder if people would like Jose if he was 24 and having this season or if they'd still dislike him for some reason.

To the fellow Jose lovers on here, or those who at least think he's worth being on the team, I don't mean to lump you in. I realize some of you are silent on the issue which is fine. I cheer you and toast you with a can of Miller Lite tonight over Jose's fine game.

GO SOX GO BEARS

40 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

According to baseball reference Leury is 3rd on the team in WAR with 2.4 behind Moncada and McCann.

All to his credit after playing more than we would have expected. 

57 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

According to baseball reference Leury is 3rd on the team in WAR with 2.4 behind Moncada and McCann.

Supposedly, that’s worth $9 million per war on the free agent market.

Even his 1.7 fWAR (combining b and fWAR/2) would suggest he’s an $18 million value, but he would be pretty fortunate to get 1/3rd of that.

1 hour ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Four out of five incredible. Detroit could match their 2003 record. 

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic