Game Thread 8/7/19 - Sox @ Detroit

7 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Detroit is so bad.  They are sooo far away from doing anything.  It boggles my mind they didn't trade Boyd while he's having his best year.

The Royals are so bad and they took us 4 games to 0 recently. It's baseball so we should savor the wins against Detroit since we went 0-4 vs. KC which is very hard to do.

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

So you want the guy who is worse offensively and defensively because it will save $ 3 million? Do you really think that savings would improve a higher end free agent or trade target choice. There will be plenty of options. I don't want either to come back. But injuries happen. They need someone who can be reasonably expected to fill in for a week or two and not be a black hole.

A lot of what fans feel makes no sense. There's this weird optic that calls for not paying out any money to players unless they are Machado/Harper types then it's give them whatever they want.

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

I feel like it's very very weird I'm the bad guy on this issue (Jose) when I'd think logic would make me the good guy since there's really no reason at all to be criticizing Jose Abreu right now. Like I said, it's silly at best; the movie Major League parody working overtime here. Yet in a bizarre world I sense a strong segment in the anti Jose group. Personally if I had power here instead of trying to not get banned again, I'd be telling some people to lay off Jose until he's actually worthy of deep criticism. I'd call it player bashing; others may disagree. 

It's just kind of sad a guy can go 3 for 5 and knock in two runs and score two runs and the best he can muster from his own fans is "yeah but ...." Oh well, just my opinion. I wonder if people would like Jose if he was 24 and having this season or if they'd still dislike him for some reason.

To the fellow Jose lovers on here, or those who at least think he's worth being on the team, I don't mean to lump you in. I realize some of you are silent on the issue which is fine. I cheer you and toast you with a can of Miller Lite tonight over Jose's fine game.

GO SOX GO BEARS

You should be use to this by now. Just blow if off.   They can't blame him if they don't win the division and they can't blame him if they don't finish last. He's still having a productive year.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

I feel like it's very very weird I'm the bad guy on this issue (Jose) when I'd think logic would make me the good guy since there's really no reason at all to be criticizing Jose Abreu right now. Like I said, it's silly at best; the movie Major League parody working overtime here. Yet in a bizarre world I sense a strong segment in the anti Jose group. Personally if I had power here instead of trying to not get banned again, I'd be telling some people to lay off Jose until he's actually worthy of deep criticism. I'd call it player bashing; others may disagree. 

It's just kind of sad a guy can go 3 for 5 and knock in two runs and score two runs and the best he can muster from his own fans is "yeah but ...." Oh well, just my opinion. I wonder if people would like Jose if he was 24 and having this season or if they'd still dislike him for some reason.

To the fellow Jose lovers on here, or those who at least think he's worth being on the team, I don't mean to lump you in. I realize some of you are silent on the issue which is fine. I cheer you and toast you with a can of Miller Lite tonight over Jose's fine game.

GO SOX GO BEARS

You're not the bad guy man and no one is saying you are. No one here "hates" Abreu (except Ron of course). It's just a baseball decision to replace him with someone better or at least go cheaper than what he can provide. 

Having said that, I'd take him back on a one year deal if hes willing to mostly DH. If not, then overpay Encarnacion for one year. 

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Thanks 1

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic