Field of Dreams Game: Sox vs. Yankees 8.13.20

GGajewski18

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I've never seen the whole thing either. Just put a few rows of corn in the OF concourse and play the Yankees at home. Does anyone really care about playing on a fake field from a movie 30 years ago?

If the Sox are actually good next year, they are sacrificing a huge gate for nonsense. 

This is amazing. We aren't sacrificing anything as our team will play in one of the coolest scenarios this century. This game will be talked about big time and we are already getting big time attention today. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be the first team to do this. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

Imagine that game having playoff implications for BOTH teams .... 

If the current Sox ownership gets off its collective ass and decides to finally treat this team as the major market powerhouse it was historically intended and expected to be, this could more than just dreams.

It's still the game of baseball. How the heck is it going to make a difference? It's not like they are playing cricket instead of baseball to decide the playoffs. Odds are next year the game will have more importance for the Yankees as they should be the better team, but regardless its still the same game in a different park.

2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Even with new dimensions I still bet it's gonna be a really high scoring game. I'd almost rather we start our #5 starter because I don't want the game to skew the stats for the rest of them 

I wonder how wRC+ will factor the ballpark into the stats for our offensive players. 

Did I hear the design will pay homage to Comiskey? I recall a couple Chicago guys had taken over FoD and had big plans but not sure when. 

MLB has a goofy video out. I believe the owners are Sox fans and I might have a vague connection. 

Edited by pcq

Did I hear the design will pay homage to Comiskey? I recall a couple Chicago guys had taken over FoD and had big plans but not sure when. 

FoD was purchased by an Oak Lawn couple around 2011 and the spouse Denise Stillman was CEO. Denise passed away last November. I believe the husband is a successful attorney. Oak Lawn would suggest a Sox connection.

1) It’s good to try to activate the largely dormant fanbase in that part of Iowa that has more allegiance to the Cubs, Brewers and Twins in that order.

2) Also helps bring more attention to Shoeless Joe Jackson and the Sox in general, which is only a positive.  More attention for Eight Men Out, as well.

3) Is something totally unique.

I’m frankly surprised they haven’t tried to do something similar with the Indians (Major League), the Twins (Little Big League, like having a competition for a teenager to manage a game in spring training)...another movie like The Rookie 2 about that kid that just got signed after throwing 96 at a stadium fast pitch last week.   Anything but that preposterous movie Rookie of the Year.

Then you’ve got The Sandlot, 42, ‘61, Bang the Drum Slowly, The Natural, Pride of the Yankees, Bad News Bears, Moneyball, Trouble With the Curve, Bull Durham...a movie every other weekend at every park in the country when the team’s away...or maybe just six times per year.

https://www.scout.com/Article/Kevin-Costner-Sports-Movies-Ranked-105187854/

Costner’s father is wearing a Yankees’ 1929-31 jersey in the movie

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

1) It’s good to try to activate the largely dormant fanbase in that part of Iowa that has more allegiance to the Cubs, Brewers and Twins in that order.

2) Also helps bring more attention to Shoeless Joe Jackson and the Sox in general, which is only a positive.  More attention for Eight Men Out, as well.

I’m frankly surprised they haven’t tried to do something similar with the Indians (Major League), the Twins (Little Big League, like having a competition for a teenager to manage a game in spring training)...another movie like The Rookie 2 about that kid that just got signed after throwing 96 at a stadium fast pitch last week.   Anything but that preposterous movie Rookie of the Year.

Then you’ve got The Sandlot, 42, ‘61, Bang the Drum Slowly, The Natural, Pride of the Yankees, Bad News Bears, Moneyball, Trouble With the Curve, Bull Durham...a movie every other weekend at every park in the country when the team’s away...or maybe just six times per year.

I don't really follow most of this post. You're saying play a movie at every stadium? How is that similar to the Sox and Yankees playing at the location a movie was filmed?

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I don't really follow most of this post. You're saying play a movie at every stadium? How is that similar to the Sox and Yankees playing at the location a movie was filmed?

And why would the Sox want to bring attention to Eight Men Out?  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Baseball needs to figure out every possible way to reach young people...if they can't follow a 3-4 hour game, perhaps engaging with a story will help to do the trick.

Arguably, the one area where baseball still has an advantage over the NFL and NBA is in their connection to Hollywood going back to the 1930's.

I guess I should never have any ideas, Brooks Boyer is doing a great job already...Sox marketing has reached its limits until the team actually improves.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Historical context would require the Sox throw this game, with a gambling booth on the concourse provided the Yanks return the favor back in The Bronx. We should make this the biggest gambling event of the decade. 

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

They are in fact showing the movie after tomorrow's game. Special screening. 

13 hours ago, brett05 said:

The ballpark is 281 feet (86 m) to left field, 314 feet (96 m) to center and 262 feet (80 m) to right field. With additional temporary bleachers, the venue held nearly 6,000 spectators for the 2013 Team of Dreams celebrity ball game.

They need dimensions and seats.  Gotta be a day game for lighting.  Going to need netting to protect the fans from fouls. 

No doubt it can all get done, just a lot of work.

But this would be a national game with an up and coming White Sox team.

I really like the idea.

Given how few seats there are, I'd not be shocked if pricing started at $100+ a ticket.

Don't know for sure but I doubt they use a field with those dimensions. Pretty sure they are building or have built a small stadium for this event,

Just found this: But Aaron Judge and his fellow MLB stars won't be playing on the same diamond that was created for the Kevin Costner movie. Instead, they'll play at a temporary 8,000-seat ballpark. https://www.npr.org/2019/08/08/749507311/mlbs-yankees-and-white-sox-to-play-at-field-of-dreams-farm

14 hours ago, bmags said:

All other sports: let’s take this on the road and play in huge international stadiums to increase exposure to the game!

Manfred: what if we played in the middle of a cornfield where no one can watch, would that speed up the game?

Thinking it will be nationally televised. It's actually a big event.

15 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Exactly. JR is giving up a 35,000 plus gate for this, that won't move the needle of one person becoming a White Sox fan. I would imagine he would think this was a better idea if he was the visitor.

You can rest assured Reinsdorf would have whined and moaned his way out of this if he was taking a big financial hit.

I'm sure MLB made it worth his while.

This game will be hyped to high heaven.

FOX should do well ratings wise.

This will be great exposure for the Sox.

11 hours ago, ptatc said:

It's still the game of baseball. How the heck is it going to make a difference? It's not like they are playing cricket instead of baseball to decide the playoffs. Odds are next year the game will have more importance for the Yankees as they should be the better team, but regardless its still the same game in a different park.

You make your own odds.

You make your breaks.

If ownership wants to be competitive it's up to them. 

You are missing the point.

It's not about one game.

It's about a so-called major market team that has been out the public eye for well over a decade. 

Edited by GradMc