Field of Dreams Game: Sox vs. Yankees 8.13.20

GGajewski18

22 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I think Kevin Costner’s dad when he came back as a youthful “catcher ghost” around age 25-30 was sporting a Yankees’ hat...at least 90% sure.

That scene where he’s playing catch with his dad always gets to me...especially since my father passed away and we used to do the same thing in the backyard every night.

Yea for those who havent seen the movie  that's what gets us guys. Field of Dreams to me is like a combination of Ken Burn's Baseball when it really was America's Game and the ties that bind father to son through something as simple as playing catch.

32 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yea for those who havent seen the movie  that's what gets us guys. Field of Dreams to me is like a combination of Ken Burn's Baseball when it really was America's Game and the ties that bind father to son through something as simple as playing catch.

I truly get a lump in my throat every time Kostner says "hey...Dad...wanna have a catch?"  Gets me every time.  Coming from a baseball nerd who usually watches his VHS copy of the movie once a year.

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

I truly get a lump in my throat every time Kostner says "hey...Dad...wanna have a catch?"  Gets me every time.  Coming from a baseball nerd who usually watches his VHS copy of the movie once a year.

Me too. 

Also, when I got married we didn't have much so our honeymoon was at a B and B in Galena. While there we drove over to the Field of Dreams and played on the field. I hit a ball into the cornfield. So it holds a little extra special something for me.

41 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I forgot about that. I haven't seen the movie in a few years 

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Me too. 

Also, when I got married we didn't have much so our honeymoon was at a B and B in Galena. While there we drove over to the Field of Dreams and played on the field. I hit a ball into the cornfield. So it holds a little extra special something for me.

That is a terrific story.  Driving through Iowa once I played a little pick up game with a few people there who were also just driving through.  It truly was an awesome thing to do.  Made me feel like a kid again for a little bit.

Since my wife was going to college in Iowa when they were filming the movie, she encouraged me to try to get tickets to the game but I'm betting they are going to be A)  Tough to get and B) Quite Pricey.  But bless her heart for just saying "oh are you going to go?" when I told her about it. :)

9 minutes ago, wegner said:

That is a terrific story.  Driving through Iowa once I played a little pick up game with a few people there who were also just driving through.  It truly was an awesome thing to do.  Made me feel like a kid again for a little bit.

Since my wife was going to college in Iowa when they were filming the movie, she encouraged me to try to get tickets to the game but I'm betting they are going to be A)  Tough to get and B) Quite Pricey.  But bless her heart for just saying "oh are you going to go?" when I told her about it. :)

My wife said the same thing.  😁

I will try to get tickets.

22 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Even with new dimensions I still bet it's gonna be a really high scoring game. I'd almost rather we start our #5 starter because I don't want the game to skew the stats for the rest of them 

I'm sure Arnie Munoz is a available somewhere. 

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

1) It’s good to try to activate the largely dormant fanbase in that part of Iowa that has more allegiance to the Cubs, Brewers and Twins in that order.

2) Also helps bring more attention to Shoeless Joe Jackson and the Sox in general, which is only a positive.  More attention for Eight Men Out, as well.

3) Is something totally unique.

I’m frankly surprised they haven’t tried to do something similar with the Indians (Major League), the Twins (Little Big League, like having a competition for a teenager to manage a game in spring training)...another movie like The Rookie 2 about that kid that just got signed after throwing 96 at a stadium fast pitch last week.   Anything but that preposterous movie Rookie of the Year.

Then you’ve got The Sandlot, 42, ‘61, Bang the Drum Slowly, The Natural, Pride of the Yankees, Bad News Bears, Moneyball, Trouble With the Curve, Bull Durham...a movie every other weekend at every park in the country when the team’s away...or maybe just six times per year.

https://www.scout.com/Article/Kevin-Costner-Sports-Movies-Ranked-105187854/

Costner’s father is wearing a Yankees’ 1929-31 jersey in the movie

Honestly it probably has more Cardinals fans too.

1 hour ago, knightni said:

I'm surprised that it's not going to be played on Father's Day.

The corn isn’t at all high enough then.  It’s in mid August because the corn will be about 9-10 ft tall and still green.  MLB has been working with owners of this for years.  They are going to make this an unforgettable event.  

I, for one, just love everything about this.  The national attention our oft-ignored franchise will receive will be extraordinary.  The timing of this particular game, with the attention that comes with it because we’ll be playing the Yankees, with where we should be a year from now with the timing of the rebuild, could be just perfect.  

The official start of the long-awaited run of sustainable winning like we’ve never seen before.  Literally!

7 minutes ago, wsd said:

The White Sox and the owner of the field presented this idea to the league.  I don't wanna get in trouble but this couldn't have come from a person more connected to the event.    

Read between the lines with that... the White Sox want the spot light on them for this game to promote their product

Thanks...Very smart marketing on their part.  I am very excited about this!!!

1 hour ago, Mbs1969 said:

The corn isn’t at all high enough then.  It’s in mid August because the corn will be about 9-10 ft tall and still green.  MLB has been working with owners of this for years.  They are going to make this an unforgettable event.  

They could have plastic corn.  :D

It's all about the look for the TV viewer anyway.

No quality MLB-level baseball can be played in rural Iowa. 

17 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Baseball needs to figure out every possible way to reach young people...if they can't follow a 3-4 hour game, perhaps engaging with a story will help to do the trick.

Arguably, the one area where baseball still has an advantage over the NFL and NBA is in their connection to Hollywood going back to the 1930's.

I guess I should never have any ideas, Brooks Boyer is doing a great job already...Sox marketing has reached its limits until the team actually improves.

Caulfield, I like you bro, but what in the fuck are you talking about.  I really hope you were never in marketing if you think any of this makes sense.

• Haha 1

The Stillmans wanted a permanent facility for softball tournaments but the yokels objected to their manure pits getting overfilled and so forth hence this one-off project. No word yet on a disco demolition throwback for the game. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Caulfield, I like you bro, but what in the fuck are you talking about.  I really hope you were never in marketing if you think any of this makes sense.

I’ll back up because I think you were the one with the comments about Pat Fitzgerald and social media/internet addiction.

My students are fixated on their phones and iPads, music, etc.

Any way MLB can connect to the next generation, be it AR/VR, RBI Baseball game, YouTube hosted games, movies/multimedia, music connected to baseball, kids don’t have the patience to watch a game for the first time on tv, but they might fall in love with the sport indirectly reading a Stephen King novel about Tom Gordon or, in this case, through movies...because kids are so visual and have (mostly) limited attention spans.

Someday soon, every MLB stadium will have plug in & play goggles...waterproof iPads attached to the arm of the chair for tracking everything going on in the game, etc.

Connecting more kids to baseball through movies is just the tip of the iceberg.

Bill Walton is even doing the game next Friday with Benetti in Anaheim, and lots of people will tune in to find out what hell’s going to happen or what they will talk about.   Baseball needs more seemingly wacky things going on like that to differentiate itself.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I’ll back up because I think you were the one with the comments about Pat Fitzgerald and social media/internet addiction.

My students are fixated on their phones and iPads, music, etc.

Any way MLB can connect to the next generation, be it AR/VR, RBI Baseball game, YouTube hosted games, movies/multimedia, music connected to baseball, kids don’t have the patience to watch a game for the first time on tv, but they might fall in love with the sport indirectly reading a Stephen King novel about Tom Gordon or, in this case, through movies...because kids are so visual and have (mostly) limited attention spans.

Someday soon, every MLB stadium will have plug in & play goggles...waterproof iPads attached to the arm of the chair for tracking everything going on in the game, etc.

Connecting more kids to baseball through movies is just the tip of the iceberg.

Bill Walton is even doing the game next Friday with Benetti in Anaheim, and lots of people will tune in to find out what hell’s going to happen or what they will talk about.   Baseball needs more seemingly wacky things going on like that to differentiate itself.

Between the Internet, the cloud, smart phone, tablet, pc network, local travel, remote control, insane day and night multi-tasking, and my bloated cable tv package filled with vapid teasy entertainment and infomercials, I have the attention span of a fruit fly. Baseball is a strange fit. 

Edited by pcq

2 hours ago, pcq said:

Between the Internet, the cloud, smart phone, tablet, pc network, local travel, remote control, insane day and night multi-tasking, and my bloated cable tv package filled with vapid teasy entertainment and infomercials, I have the attention span of a fruit fly. Baseball is a strange fit. 

Why not Dish or DirecTV?