Sign in to follow this  
GGajewski18

Field of Dreams Game: Sox vs. Yankees 8.13.20

6 minutes ago, wegner said:

If you build it....oh never mind I just remembered you think the movie sucks.

Really enjoyed the commitment to the setting by making the movie as corny as possible though ūüėä

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Really enjoyed the commitment to the setting by making the movie as corny as possible though ūüėä

Yep, they really did try to...go the distance...sorry did it again :cool:

5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I think this is a great idea.  Really surprised it isn't the cubs and cards though.

Kinda needs to be the White Sox the first time they do it I would think.

Plus I heard the Cubs wanted to play and they told them to "stuff it"...haha

Edited by wegner
  • Haha 2

Night game on FOX   In a field behind movie.   A walkway in corn will take you from movie site to stadium.   8,000 seats   The dimensions will be that of old Comiskey.  Bullpens in CF like old Comiskey.    Right field will have a see thru glass for corn.   It is a White Sox home game.  And yes the family that are majority owners of field are huge Sox fans.  

• Like 1

Just now, wegner said:

Kinda needs to be the White Sox the first time they do it I would think.

Would Sox/Reds being leaning into it too hard?

• Like 1

Just now, mqr said:

Would Sox/Reds being leaning into it too hard?

Not one bit in my opinion.  I think that would be perfect actually.

• Like 1

Only if James Earl Jones is the announcer and Ray Liotta plays LF to protect Jimenez...and someone gets to punch Timothy Busfield in the face.

31 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

Night game on FOX   In a field behind movie.   A walkway in corn will take you from movie site to stadium.   8,000 seats   The dimensions will be that of old Comiskey.  Bullpens in CF like old Comiskey.    Right field will have a see thru glass for corn.   It is a White Sox home game.  And yes the family that are majority owners of field are huge Sox fans.  

They need a lot more bathrooms than two port a potties and that trailer can’t handle the concession sales...plus the gravel roads, last time I drove there a rock cracked my windshield.

It would be cool to see a game at such a small stadium.   I wonder if they are even going to sell tickets or if this is going to be some kind of give away.

WSD was super hyperbolic, but I do think there's some truth to the idea that they wouldn't put this together if they were planning on running a AAAA team out there. 

i hope our picthing rotation is not messup becase this game sound like a game for top pitchers

42 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I think this is a great idea.  Really surprised it isn't the cubs and cards though.

How would that make sense? You cant do a field of dreams game without the Sox.

That said, this is a movie that pays tribute to Shoeless Joe Jackson. MLB is indirectly honoring a banned player here.

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

WSD was super hyperbolic, but I do think there's some truth to the idea that they wouldn't put this together if they were planning on running a AAAA team out there. 

This wasn't the White Sox idea. They are included because they were the team in the movie.

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

Quick, tell me the names of the teams that participated in that Little League stadium game a couple of years ago.  I don't think the Sox will be much of a boost in fandome because they played a game in a cornfield where a movie was shot that a good percentage of their target audience wasn't born when it was made and/or has never seen it.

1 minute ago, JuliusO1274 said:

This wasn't the White Sox idea. They are included because they were the team in the movie.

Exactly. JR is giving up a 35,000 plus gate for this, that won't move the needle of one person becoming a White Sox fan. I would imagine he would think this was a better idea if he was the visitor.

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

a huge splash in free agency. 

Not necessarily a huge splash, but it does sound like it was their idea, and I don't think they would want to embarrass themselves so maybe a sign they expect to flip a switch.

Expect and execute, of course, are totally different things though. 

1 hour ago, brett05 said:

The ballpark is 281 feet (86 m) to left field, 314 feet (96 m) to center and 262 feet (80 m) to right field. With additional temporary bleachers, the venue held nearly 6,000 spectators for the 2013 Team of Dreams celebrity ball game.

They need dimensions and seats.  Gotta be a day game for lighting.  Going to need netting to protect the fans from fouls. 

No doubt it can all get done, just a lot of work.

But this would be a national game with an up and coming White Sox team.

I really like the idea.

Given how few seats there are, I'd not be shocked if pricing started at $100+ a ticket.

Um, are those the actual dimensions of the temporary field?

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

This is cool and all, but I don't get the correlation between playing in this game and the idea that the Sox will make a huge splash in free agency. 

Lol there is none. Big reach on WSD’s part 

13 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

I think it was. Their official communication said this is in partnership with the MLB vs the yankees just saying they're happy to be involved. 

And even if it wasn't, I don't think the MLB could or would force a team to give up their biggest gate of the year. 

Edited by mqr