Sign in to follow this  
GGajewski18

Field of Dreams Game: Sox vs. Yankees 8.13.20

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

Not necessarily a huge splash, but it does sound like it was their idea, and I don't think they would want to embarrass themselves so maybe a sign they expect to flip a switch.

Expect and execute, of course, are totally different things though. 

I mean they totally embarrassed themselves this past offseason, but I see what you're saying.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That place even with only 8k, is going to be a traffic nightmare.

Have to imagine MLB is comping the owner to leave a field unplanted for parking

• Haha 1

They hold events at Field, a yearly hall of famer game.  And it has had up to 5000 people there.   They will bus people in off of US 20.   It’s going to be a great event.  

21 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I mean they totally embarrassed themselves this past offseason

Like I said, plan and execute are different things.

They'll probably fall flat on their face because that's what they do, but I think there's more than one indication that they expect to be a good team. 

Edited by mqr

24 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

This is cool and all, but I don't get the correlation between playing in this game and the idea that the Sox will make a huge splash in free agency. 

I mean,  look at the source (WSD).    

The White Sox played on the field in the movie. That's it. There is no more connection. This has 0% to do with free agency. Jesus people...

Edited by SmashROT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh man,  Dylan Covey gets a chance to pitch on the national stage!!  (We all know he'll somehow still be with the team)

Edited by bjm676

I think Kevin Costner’s dad when he came back as a youthful “catcher ghost” around age 25-30 was sporting a Yankees’ hat...at least 90% sure.

That scene where he’s playing catch with his dad always gets to me...especially since my father passed away and we used to do the same thing in the backyard every night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Exactly. JR is giving up a 35,000 plus gate for this, that won't move the needle of one person becoming a White Sox fan. I would imagine he would think this was a better idea if he was the visitor.

I'm guessing MLB will compensate the team.

Far too many curmudgeons on this board (I know it's a shock). Its a game have fun. I know my idea if fun is much different than most on this board (bat flipping) but playing games in small stadiums in different places would be fun.

• Thanks 1

I've been off work since the end of June and won't be healed until the end of October lol.  This sounds like a cool getaway if I can get the wife on board.

Considering the rosters this group has put together, it is appropriate they play a game in a makeshift minor league park. I feel for people going to the game. When it ends, 99% of the traffic is going to be going in the same direction. 

48 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I've been off work since the end of June and won't be healed until the end of October lol.  This sounds like a cool getaway if I can get the wife on board.

You'll be out of work until next October?

• Like 1

I wonder how they may go about determining who gets ticket access? Based on my experiences I would imagine the average fan has no chance. MLB would likely take over many of the seats.

2 hours ago, timbo8 said:

i hope our picthing rotation is not messup becase this game sound like a game for top pitchers

Personally I think Ricky should set the rotation now so the starter is Gio

• Haha 2

Imagine that game having playoff implications for BOTH teams .... 

If the current Sox ownership gets off its collective ass and decides to finally treat this team as the major market powerhouse it was historically intended and expected to be, this could more than just dreams.

Edited by GradMc

Even with new dimensions I still bet it's gonna be a really high scoring game. I'd almost rather we start our #5 starter because I don't want the game to skew the stats for the rest of them 

The TA/Gleyber Torres poster really highlights how bizarre the stance on the original cover is. People don't stand like that Mr Costner.