Luis Robert and Nick Madrigal

KnightsOnMintSt

10 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm not sure why people want Madrigal leading off. He's like a 2 hole create a player. Incredible bat to ball skills and you're okay with him sacrificing ab's because he doesnt have any power. 

We shouldn’t be sacrificing at-bats with our two-hole hitter in this day & age.

13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I kinda like the idea of Yoan hitting 3rd if Madrigal can also pump up the OBP. 

Madrigal
Robert
Moncada
Jiminez
Abreu
Unknown but would be nice if LH
Anderson

You've got a top 3 including your potential future best hitter batting 2, OBP at slots 1 and 3, speed at the top, RBIs at slots 4-5, balance at the bottom of the order. 

That’s exactly what I would do, but insert Grandal as that left-handed bat.  And down the road, replace Abreu with Vaughn and then flip flop him and Eloy.

I'd probably bat Robert lower in the order, I don't see him as being an on-base threat. Maybe like a .320-.330 OBP guy at his peak. So either 3rd or 5th, probably. So like:

1. Madrigal

2. Moncada

3. Abreu or some other 1B/DH type (Collins? Sheets? FA?)

4. Eloy

5. Robert

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s exactly what I would do, but insert Grandal as that left-handed bat.  And down the road, replace Abreu with Vaughn and then flip flop him and Eloy.

If we sign Grandal and a RF (let’s say Gordon), I go with something like this:

1. Madrigal 2B

2. Robert CF

3. Moncada 3B

4. Eloy LF

5. Grandal C/DH

6. Abreu 1B

7. Anderson SS

8. Gordon RF

9. McCann DH/C

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

If we sign Grandal and a RF (let’s say Gordon), I go with something like this:

1. Madrigal 2B

2. Robert CF

3. Moncada 3B

4. Eloy LF

5. Grandal C/DH

6. Abreu 1B

7. Anderson SS

8. Gordon RF

9. McCann DH/C

I'm not sure why people keep discussing signing Grandal. The catching tandem next year will be McCann and Collins. The Sox will give Collins every chance to stick at catcher .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I'm not sure why people keep discussing signing Grandal. The catching tandem next year will be McCann and Collins. The Sox will give Collins every chance to stick at catcher .

I'll bite, Collins could be your Evan Gattis type 3rd catcher, 1B/DH with Grandal and McCann manning the C position.  Isn't it what the Sox are grooming Zach for?

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Because McCann still hasn’t proven he is worth throwing all of your eggs in his basket with his awful second half, that are much like his usual numbers.  I like the idea of McCann backing up Grandal and Collins being able to DH, play 1B, and catch every once in awhile.  Signing Grandal and a RF would make a huge improvement to the lineup.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Because McCann still hasn’t proven he is worth throwing all of your eggs in his basket with his awful second half, that are much like his usual numbers.  I like the idea of McCann backing up Grandal and Collins being able to DH, play 1B, and catch every once in awhile.  Signing Grandal and a RF would make a huge improvement to the lineup.

I think the Sox really like the way he handles the pitchers which is why they signed hi. in the first place.

I'm not saying your logic is wrong, I just don't think the Sox will do do that.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

Because Grandal is probably the best left-handed bat on the market and one of the premier catchers in the game.

How would you address the left-handed bat problem?

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because Grandal is probably the best left-handed bat on the market and one of the premier catchers in the game.

I’ve always been a huge fan of balancing the lineup, but I find myself wondering if it really matters that much anymore.  

Don’t get me wrong, I would love the big LH bat but not at the cost of forcing it.  

40 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It would be stupid if the Sox don’t go after Grandal with the money they have available.

8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

With the extra roster spot next year I wouldn't be surprised if they go with McCann, Zavala and Collins as the catchers.   Collins will catch once a week when there's a really tough righty on the mound.  The other days he'll rotate between 1B and DH.  

Zavala is AAA fodder.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

It would be stupid if the Sox don’t go after Grandal with the money they have available.

I agree.  They’re going to want to add a left-handed bat and basically only have a handful of options to do so: RF, DH/1B, & C.  And when you actually look at the free agent options, there aren’t a lot of quality LH hitters at those spots.

To me, not prioritizing Grandal would be crazy even if you still think Collins has a decent chance to stick at C.  McCann is a nice player (I was 100% wrong on him) and has done a great job with Giolito, but Grandal is a significant upgrade and a much better fit.  And I’m not against the idea of going into 2020 with a three heading catching monster of Grandal, McCann, & Collins, with Zack & Yasmani basically splitting DH duties.  Trade for a RF or simply sign a stopgap (if you want to buy time for Walker / AA guys) and you suddenly have a very nice looking offense.  That would definitely be my plan on the positional side unless they are willing to go balls out for Rendon.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree.  They’re going to want to add a left-handed bat and basically only have a handful of options to do so: RF, DH/1B, & C.  And when you actually look at the free agent options, there aren’t a lot of quality LH hitters at those spots.

To me, not prioritizing Grandal would be crazy even if you still think Collins has a decent chance to stick at C.  McCann is a nice player (I was 100% wrong on him) and has done a great job with Giolito, but Grandal is a significant upgrade and a much better fit.  And I’m not against the idea of going into 2020 with a three heading catching monster of Grandal, McCann, & Collins, with Zack & Yasmani basically splitting DH duties.  Trade for a RF or simply sign a stopgap (if you want to buy time for Walker / AA guys) and you suddenly have a very nice looking offense.  That would definitely be my plan on the positional side unless they are willing to go balls out for Rendon.

I think the jury is still out on McCann.  He has been bad at the plate in the second half and closer to his career numbers.  It would be an excellent idea to improve the lineup and the catcher position by adding Grandal in front of McCann.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think they are going with Collins as the catcher with McCann. The left handed bat may be from RF.

This isn't so much that I dont like Grandal as I think the Sox have too much invested in Collins to sign another catcher, from their view.

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think they are going with Collins as the catcher with McCann. The left handed bat may be from RF.

This isn't so much that I dont like Grandal as I think the Sox have too much invested in Collins to sign another catcher, from their view.

Too much invested in Collins?  How so?  They barely played him when they called him up.  They also spent a first round pick on Carson Fulmer as well and he’s basically a 26th man.

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Too much invested in Collins?  How so?  They barely played him when they called him up.  They also spent a first round pick on Carson Fulmer as well and he’s basically a 26th man.

the fact that they brought him up and didnt play him, makes me think that they are really grooming him. from what I heard they really had him work with McCann on learning preparation and hitters. There is much more to being a catcher than hitting.

I could be way off base but I think they are set on using a McCann/Collins tandem.