Luis Robert and Nick Madrigal

KnightsOnMintSt

3 hours ago, zisk said:

Speaking about learning on the job. Has anyone else noticed Madrigal has really started to work counts and draw more walks?

That's a pretty good trick when you've moved up 2 levels in 2-3 months.

16 strikeouts and 43 walks in 440 at bats this year.  Hopefully the walks continue to increase over some of his contact outs.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

15 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

It feels so good knowing Madrigal will replace Yolmer and Robert will replace the shitshow we have had out there for years.

Im beyond excited for this team

We are winning with half a lineup and pitching has been excellent.  Get the missing pieces we've discussed this off season and next year we are playing for something beyond draft picks.

23 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Robert struggles to start his MLB career like Eloy.  His strikeout to walk rate isn’t the greatest and he will get pounded with sliders low and away early and often.

Agreed. I no it won't happen but I hope people have patience with him. It will take time to adjust his approach. He's is like Eloy in that the talent is at the level that he didn't need to make the adjustments in the minors. 

On 8/25/2019 at 9:02 PM, ptatc said:

Agreed. I no it won't happen but I hope people have patience with him. It will take time to adjust his approach. He's is like Eloy in that the talent is at the level that he didn't need to make the adjustments in the minors. 

All the more of a reason he should have been in MLB after the ASB. 

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

All the more of a reason he should have been in MLB after the ASB. 

Maybe Robert will be the first Sox prospect since Gordon Bacon who tears it up right from the start of his call-up, like prospects do for other teams?  In that case, we will all be happy with the additional year of control.

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Maybe Robert will be the first Sox prospect since Gordon Bacon who tears it up right from the start of his call-up, like prospects do for other teams?  In that case, we will all be happy with the additional year of control.

Nah, we're Sox fans. We're not allowed to have new, shiny toys. 

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Lol @ the idea of you being happy about something positive.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Just now, Nardiwashere said:

Lol @ the idea of you being happy about something positive.

I am very positive on our prospects.  I am very negative about Hahn and Kenny running the rest of the show, like filling in the holes via free agency.  Look at their track record with free agents.  McCann is one of the few guys Hahn has actually hit on.

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I am very positive on our prospects.  I am very negative about Hahn and Kenny running the rest of the show, like filling in the holes via free agency.  Look at their track record with free agents.  McCann is one of the few guys Hahn has actually hit on.

He also traded for Moncada, Giolito, Kopech, Eloy, Cease, and Lopez.  And drafted/signed Anderson, Robert and Madrigal.  Ya' know....like our entire young core.  

He's never been in this exact position before.  I think it makes sense to at least see the rebuild through before giving up on it.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

One thing I know for sure - regardless of what happens, you'll complain about it.  

That was a joke. 

All you can do is laugh at the struggles that the kids have had at the beginning of their careers. It's beyond frustrating. Hopefully Robert bucks the trend, but I'm not counting on it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He also traded for Moncada, Giolito, Kopech, Eloy, Cease, and Lopez.  And drafted/signed Anderson, Robert and Madrigal.  Ya' know....like our entire young core.  

He's never been in this exact position before.  I think it makes sense to at least see the rebuild through before giving up on it.   

I have acknowledged that they have made some nice trades and draft picks.  Free agency is an entirely different story, however.

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I have acknowledged that they have made some nice trades and draft picks.  Free agency is an entirely different story, however.

Hahn nailed all of the major trades. The most frustrating thing is that they haven't really been able to supplement the talent they acquired via trade with players they drafted/signed. Madrigal, Robert and Vaughn are about it from there so far. 

They couldn't have done any better in their trades. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

12 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

They've also been rebuilding since 2016, so they weren't really looking to fill legitimate gaps via FA.  

I will concede that the last spending spree following the 2014 season was pretty terrible (Robertson deal was fine/good).  I am willing to give them another chance to prove they'll do it right this time.  They also have a lot more financial flexibility than they had then.  Every signing they've made since Chris Sale was traded was not meant to be anything more than a stop gap.  I feel you often forget this very important detail.  

Edited by ChiSox59

The White Sox and this FO have never been in this position before with having so many young All-Star caliber players controlled with zero financial hurdles.  I don't think it's fair to compare whats going on now with previous signings the Sox have made.  Put up or shut up time really.

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

The White Sox and this FO have never been in this position before with having so many young All-Star caliber players controlled with zero financial hurdles.  I don't think it's fair to compare whats going on now with previous signings the Sox have made.  Put up or shut up time really.

They'll all say but but but but MANNY MACHADO!!  WHAT HAPPENED THERE!?!

But yah...I suspect things will change this offseason. But most simply just won't believe it until they see it, and the Sox have earned the skepticism.  

45 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

But yah...I suspect things will change this offseason. But most simply just won't believe it until they see it, and the Sox have earned the skepticism.  

They absolutely have earned skepticism.  I just don't understand why people think they tore down their entire team to try and compete with a 90 million dollar payroll when the window opens.  It's goofy to think that.  They are going to spend a bunch of money the next 2 years, and not on the Ivan Novas of the world in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

They absolutely have earned skepticism.  I just don't understand why people think they tore down their entire team to try and compete with a 90 million dollar payroll when the window opens.  It's goofy to think that.  They are going to spend a bunch of money the next 2 years, and not on the Ivan Novas of the world in my opinion.

Because those fans thrive on negativity, and frankly, history is on their side.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

They've also been rebuilding since 2016, so they weren't really looking to fill legitimate gaps via FA.  

I will concede that the last spending spree following the 2014 season was pretty terrible (Robertson deal was fine/good).  I am willing to give them another chance to prove they'll do it right this time.  They also have a lot more financial flexibility than they had then.  Every signing they've made since Chris Sale was traded was not meant to be anything more than a stop gap.  I feel you often forget this very important detail.  

Herrera?

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Herrera?

Yes?  A relief pitcher signed for 2 year $17M deal doesn't really strike me as a deal that was intended to move the needle much, but rather bridge the gap to the younger pen arms being ready to take his place.  Obviously Hererra has been terrible this season, but relief pitchers are weird.  Decent chance he's back to being a reliable pensman next season.  

6 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Machado was only a good signing if we could get him at a good price.  Overpays for anyone long-term can lead to calamity.  I like where we are.